Post Reply
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View 'Los Suns' - Phoenix basketball team protests Ariz. law
5 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 7:16AM #1
Jeanninehunter
Posts: 168

Phoenix Suns players wore special jerseys last night during a playoff series game to protest Arizona's new immigration law. The Suns wore the jerseys that read "Los Suns" in a game against the San Antonio Spurs.


'Los Suns' Statement Comes in a Perfectly Fine Arena for Politics | ‘Los Suns’ Join Protest, Then Stop the Spurs | Why the Phoenix Suns Oppose Arizona's Immigration Law | Political gesture by Phoenix Suns, a rarity in sports, angers many fans


The team's gesture was part celebration of Cinco de Mayo, part political statement in opposition to the controversial law.  The law requires police to question "people about their immigration status if there's reason to suspect they're in the country illegally," the Associated Press reported.


What do you think about what the basketball team did last night?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 8:01AM #2
REteach
Posts: 14,993

We allow ourselves to be stampeded into mindless fear of others far too easily.  I like seeing a little "Sun"light shining into the darkness.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 9:08AM #3
coachbob
Posts: 2,241

May 6, 2010 -- 8:01AM, REteach wrote:


We allow ourselves to be stampeded into mindless fear of others far too easily.  I like seeing a little "Sun"light shining into the darkness.




People in our country illegally, using our resources, are helping destroy our economy.  There is no "mindless fear" here, just fact. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 10:04AM #4
Iwantamotto
Posts: 8,349

The illegal immigrants didn't buy themselves new homes and yachts on our money and give loans to people who could never repay and sell us crap in the name of "cost effectiveness" ....

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 10:20AM #5
appy20
Posts: 10,165

May 6, 2010 -- 10:04AM, Iwantamotto wrote:


The illegal immigrants didn't buy themselves new homes and yachts on our money and give loans to people who could never repay and sell us crap in the name of "cost effectiveness" ....




Good point. Plus, the reason our food is so cheap is because illegal immigrants provide the labor to grow it.  Thus, they are a boon to one aspect of our economy.


But.  They cost too.  Education and medical care are expensive for them.  There is an increase in crime rate and drunk driving fatalities with a large population of illegals. 


It is a complicated issue that requires some balance, humanity and respect for those on both sides of the issue.  We can't afford to forget that many of them are fine human beings that are doing the best they can with the raw deal that they were dealt.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 10:37AM #6
mytmouse57
Posts: 9,782

The "Immigration problem" is a total sham... just a way to whip up emotions.


I think that, because if it were a real problem, it could be solved virtually overnight. And very simply.


All that it would take would be to start nailing -- and I mean really hammering down hard, no pussyfooting around, flat-out nailing -- the people who create jobs for/hire illegal immigrants and pay them lousy wages under the table. You start doing that, and the job market that is drawing all those people here woud disappear. Thus, their incentive for wanting to come here would evaporate, and they would cease risking life and limb to come here.


But, I keenly notice that -- especially on right-wing talk radio where the "illegal invasion" hysteria is a favorite rant -- nobody wants to peep a word about the actual problem and the actual solution. Which is, again, the people creating those jobs and continuing to hire illegals to do those jobs.


But, I suspect nobody wants to really solve the so-called "problem" because it would take away a means for white guys to hire a dirt-cheap labor force that is sure not to give them any lip and work as hard as they want them to, for as long as they want them to.


No, it's just easier to whip up the flames of xenophobia and focus on the brown-skinned people, and not the dishonest white American guys who are actually causing the problem. And of course, the fat white guy radio talk show hosts really, really don't want to talk about that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 11:44AM #7
Christianlib
Posts: 21,848

Bingo! Myty.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 12:49PM #8
mytmouse57
Posts: 9,782

May 6, 2010 -- 11:44AM, Christianlib wrote:


Bingo! Myty.





Yep. I'll say it again -- start nailing the shady employers who are hiring the illegals as little more than slave labor -- and the "problem" will evaporate practically overnight.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 12:55PM #9
rangerken
Posts: 16,408

No jobs equals no illegal immigrants. No welfare also equals no illegal immigrants. Make it  serious felony to hire an illegal. Don't give illegals anything except emergency medical care and a free trip out of our country.


And laugh at stupid for show, meaningless nonsense like a basketball team changing its name...who cares and why should we?


Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 12:56PM #10
appy20
Posts: 10,165

May 6, 2010 -- 10:37AM, mytmouse57 wrote:


The "Immigration problem" is a total sham... just a way to whip up emotions.


I think that, because if it were a real problem, it could be solved virtually overnight. And very simply.


All that it would take would be to start nailing -- and I mean really hammering down hard, no pussyfooting around, flat-out nailing -- the people who create jobs for/hire illegal immigrants and pay them lousy wages under the table. You start doing that, and the job market that is drawing all those people here woud disappear. Thus, their incentive for wanting to come here would evaporate, and they would cease risking life and limb to come here.


But, I keenly notice that -- especially on right-wing talk radio where the "illegal invasion" hysteria is a favorite rant -- nobody wants to peep a word about the actual problem and the actual solution. Which is, again, the people creating those jobs and continuing to hire illegals to do those jobs.


But, I suspect nobody wants to really solve the so-called "problem" because it would take away a means for white guys to hire a dirt-cheap labor force that is sure not to give them any lip and work as hard as they want them to, for as long as they want them to.


No, it's just easier to whip up the flames of xenophobia and focus on the brown-skinned people, and not the dishonest white American guys who are actually causing the problem. And of course, the fat white guy radio talk show hosts really, really don't want to talk about that.




You are mostly right but there is one error.  The wages are often good.  At least they are here.  I know farmers who pay their illegals $10 an hour because the immigrants are the only hands they can find.  For this part of the country, $10 an hour is good.   If they mow grass, they charge 100 an acre whereas the legal lawn services charge $60 an acre.  I know this for a fact because I asked out of curiosity for my property.  I only use the legal. I have never used anyone illegal for anything.


They do bring problems.  To deny this is just as ignorant as those that are hysterically wanting to shoot everyone.   I live on a street with two houses full of them.  They drove a truck 30 feet off the road into my front yard and slammed into a beautiful tree. Drunk Driving.


Their kids throw rocks at my horses.  They drove a very nice black family out of the neighborhood by harrassing them constantly.   Drunk driving.  Down the road from me, a drunk illegal immigrant drove head on into a woman with 3 kids.  All 4 people were killed.  We have had international hit men in respectable neighborhoods killing entire families over drug trafficking.  Plus, we recently had an illegal who went to his workplace and began shooting up the place and killed his boss. 


Now, bear in mind, this is normally a very low crime area.  So, when things like this happen, it hits people harder than if they lived in New York.  They don't want the crime or the people doing the crime. 


Plus, our county had to pay $2 million dollars a year that the state stopped reinbursing us for to educate the illegals.  That meant that 13,000 home owners have to come up with an ADDITIONAL 2 million a year.  That does not include medical care. 


The average worker in our county who has health insurance that they pay for must fork out about $8000 to have a baby.  Illegal workers get it free.   Once again, property owners pick it up because they are the ones that finance the hospital's indigent fund. 


To say that the problems do not exist is ignorant.  The problems are very real.  Unless you are paying and experiencing those problems, you don't have a clue.


I don't care what color people are.  I prefer living in multi-racial neighborhoods.  I prefer the diversity of it.  I do care about behavior.  Our nation has a right to know who is crossing its borders. If it is a drug trarfficker or someone who has a history of drunk driving, we have the right to know that. 


I do agree that we should start arresting those that hire them.  I do not advocate any harm or violence toward those that do cross illegally.  However, my concern for them ends when their behavior crosses the line.  We don't allow that behavior from the rest of our community and I don't know why we must accept it BECAUSE they are illegal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook