Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Supreme Court takes video game case
4 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2010 - 10:44AM #1
Jeanninehunter

Should children be able to buy violent video games?

Supreme Court agreed Monday to decide if California can ban the sale or rental of these games to children. At issue is whether the ban violates constitutional free-speech guarantees, Associated Press and Reuters wire services reported.

"The justices agreed to hear an appeal by the state after an appeals court based in California struck down the law, which also imposes video game labeling requirements," Reuters reported.

"The high court's action today was surprising, given that justices just last week voted 8-1 to strike down a federal law that banned videos showing animal cruelty. The California case poses similar free speech concerns, although the state law is aimed at protecting children, raising an additional issue that affect the high court's consideration," AP reported.

"California's case raises the additional issue of how far legislation may go to protect minors from the harm its says results from exposure to extremely violent video games," wrote Washington Post reporter Robert Barnes. "Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) praised the court for accepting Schwarzenegger v. Entertainment Merchants Association, which will be argued during the court term that begins in October.

The governor said, "We have a responsibility to our kids and our communities to protect against the effects of games that depict ultra-violent actions, just as we already do with movies."

Should the high court decide if a state or states can regulate video games?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2010 - 12:51PM #2
Iwantamotto

I don't get it.  We have rules meant (though how effective they are is another story) to keep the innocent wee ones from watching dirty movies.  What's the difference?  I disagree with the court's decision regarding the animal abuse vids.  If we can say that a movie containing some cuss words isn't appropriate for the young'un's, why not a video game?  We have ratings for them, do we not?  Banning kids from watching adult fare (or playing it) doesn't censor the author's free speech at all.  It's not like the court is saying they can't make it.  Protecting free speech doesn't mean you can't control the make-up of the audience.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2010 - 1:02PM #3
Erey

I think they should be regulated just like movies and to a lesser degree music and tv

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2010 - 1:47PM #4
Nepenthe

Apr 26, 2010 -- 1:02PM, Erey wrote:

I think they should be regulated just like movies and to a lesser degree music and tv

Video Games already have a rating system, which was a factor in this decision.

ESRB

Every game has an ESRB rating on it's cover, which parents are suppose to take into consideration when purchasing the game. 

Gary Johnson 2012
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2010 - 4:19PM #5
TemplarS

I haven't followed the details of this case.

However,  any constitutional challenge must recognize that minors are not always accorded the full range of rights guaranteed to adults.  They cannot buy cigarettes.  They cannot buy alcohol.  They cannot attend certain movies.  They cannot vote. They cannot gamble.  At least in some states, minors may not purchase firearms. 

All of these are immensely reasonable, and I see the issue of violent video games as no different.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2010 - 4:21PM #6
TemplarS

Apr 26, 2010 -- 1:47PM, Nepenthe wrote:

Every game has an ESRB rating on it's cover, which parents are suppose to take into consideration when purchasing the game. 

Well...  as I understand this case, it is not about what parents can rent or buy for their children, but what the children can do on their own, by walking into a video store.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2010 - 12:57AM #7
mytmouse57

I'm a video game enthusiast, as are my two sons.

I didn't let them play the violent ones until they were in their teens.

I also find it ironic when I'm on a multi-person server, playing a shoot-'em-up war game, and when somebody uses profanity on the microphone or in text chat, some people will protest, "Don't swear, my little kid is on here!"

To which the usual reply is something like, "Why the **** are you letting your kid play a game this violent and bloody?"

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2010 - 11:53AM #8
Iwantamotto

Reminds me of the South Park movie, where Kyle's mom hypes up everyone into war with Canada over some fart jokes and swearing.  :)

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2010 - 1:18PM #9
mytmouse57

Apr 27, 2010 -- 11:53AM, Iwantamotto wrote:

Reminds me of the South Park movie, where Kyle's mom hypes up everyone into war with Canada over some fart jokes and swearing.  :)

Yeah, the other ones that crack me up are the so-called "Christian" gaming servers. "Hey, no foul language... this is a Christian server."

Uh-huh.... like Jesus would love a game where you blow somebody's head off with a sniper rifle from a church bell tower.... Tongue out

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2010 - 1:31PM #10
Ridcully

Apr 27, 2010 -- 1:18PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Apr 27, 2010 -- 11:53AM, Iwantamotto wrote:

Yeah, the other ones that crack me up are the so-called "Christian" gaming servers. "Hey, no foul language... this is a Christian server."

Uh-huh.... like Jesus would love a game where you blow somebody's head off with a sniper rifle from a church bell tower....

I've talked to some conservative Christians who feel very offended by what they call the "hippie Jesus."  They picture Jesus as more of an avenging warrior it seems.

"Things just happen, what the hell."  Didactylos
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook