Switch to Forum Live View Olympian moves people with skill, emotion
4 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 8:16PM #1
Jeanninehunter

Canadian Olympian Joannie Rochette inspired many viewers Tuesday night. The figure skater performed flawlessly two days after her mother died of an apparent heart attack.

Column in the Toronto Sun | Vancouver Sun column | Wall Street Journal blog post

"Only when it was over would she let the grief take over, and she crumpled into the arms of her coach, Manon Perron, and wept uncontrollably while her marks came up," wrote Vancouver Sun columnist Cam Cole Wednesday.

“They cried for her courage, they cried for her strength, they cried because, by skating with her heart broken, Joannie Rochette broke theirs,” wrote the Vancouver Province’s Ethan Baron.

Brian Williams of NBC Nightly News noted Wednesday night that many NBC colleagues covering the games cried as they watched. Footage of the audience as well as onlookers in Rochette's hometown showed people watching and weeping.

What did you think of that moment?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 9:15PM #2
Merope

I didn't see her event (largely because I'm more into track and field than the winter sports). 

But my thought is that this is exactly what it means to be an Olympics-calibre athlete.  This is probably the worst case scenario (or one of them) of an occurrence that can throw an athlete off his/her mark; it's just a huge challenge for the athlete.  And to carry it off as she did — drawing on years of training, discipline, skill, competition, coaching, focus, and dedication — well, this is what the Olympics is all about.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 9:24AM #3
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope
Beliefnet Community Host
Hot Topics Zone

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook