Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Say it's not so Tiger!
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 8:01PM #1
delmarvamom

nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34174324/ns/sport...

A few hours ago Tiger, amid reports that a cocktail waitress says they had an affair, has admitted he has not been faithful.  Apparently he met this woman in 2007.  A part of what he said....

“I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart,” he said.

“I will strive to be a better person and the husband and father that my family deserves,” Woods said. “For all of those who have supported me over the years, I offer my profound apology.”

Why do people with so much to be thankful for and SO MUCH TO LOSE do this????  I just can't make sense of it, but see a trend with successful men.

Bill Clinton, John Edwards,  Jim Baker, and a many many more....

My interest is not in the details of Tiger's affair, but WHY this happens to people like him.

Wow.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 8:22PM #2
rangerken

I'm not a golfer... had to choose between playing golf and polo as a teenager... chose the horses... never missed golf... but I respect the ability of Tiger Woods on the golf course.

And that's all I care about regarding him.

I don't personally care if he has three wives, five concubines, and a trained sheep!!!! His private life is the business of his family and himself. I am agressively NOT following it! But many others will. therefore this is as good a place as any to discuss it.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 9:39PM #3
jane2

I agree with rangerken.

People fool around--hardly news.

D'Mom--it's the human condition. Actually I'm really sorry you brought this up. And I'm sad the networks made so much of it. Like there isn't enough news afoot. We're drowning in 24/7 news and phony news.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 10:50PM #4
Mlyons619

Dear Fellow Hot Topicers,

While I respect and even agree with what rangerken and jane2 have to say on the subject of Tiger Wood and other celebrity news, it nonetheless is a top story on CNN, MSNBC, FOXNEWS, all the networks, and is being carried by both GOOGLE NEWS and YAHOO NEWS, and is therefore a worthy HOT TOPIC item of discussion.

Those wishing to discuss this item are free to do so.  It would be appreciated if those who don't respect those who do and just not post any snide comments here.  Again, a request not a command, but courtesy is appreciated -- evn in the HOT TOPICS ZONE.

mlyons
Beliefnet Community Co-Host, HOT TOPICS ZONE

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 11:32PM #5
jane2

Dec 2, 2009 -- 10:50PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

Dear Fellow Hot Topicers,

While I respect and even agree with what rangerken and jane2 have to say on the subject of Tiger Wood and other celebrity news, it nonetheless is a top story on CNN, MSNBC, FOXNEWS, all the networks, and is being carried by both GOOGLE NEWS and YAHOO NEWS, and is therefore a worthy HOT TOPIC item of discussion.

Those wishing to discuss this item are free to do so.  It would be appreciated if those who don't respect those who do and just not post any snide comments here.  Again, a request not a command, but courtesy is appreciated -- evn in the HOT TOPICS ZONE.

mlyons
Beliefnet Community Co-Host, HOT TOPICS ZONE

The why of the publicity makes me wonder. Too little to fill up the 24/7 news and not so news does make me wonder.

Courtesy is always welcome.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 11:59PM #6
Merope

Dec 2, 2009 -- 8:01PM, delmarvamom wrote:

nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34174324/ns/sport...

A few hours ago Tiger, amid reports that a cocktail waitress says they had an affair, has admitted he has not been faithful.  Apparently he met this woman in 2007.  A part of what he said....

“I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart,” he said.

“I will strive to be a better person and the husband and father that my family deserves,” Woods said. “For all of those who have supported me over the years, I offer my profound apology.”

Why do people with so much to be thankful for and SO MUCH TO LOSE do this????  I just can't make sense of it, but see a trend with successful men.

Bill Clinton, John Edwards,  Jim Baker, and a many many more....

My interest is not in the details of Tiger's affair, but WHY this happens to people like him.

Wow.

I think it's that whole thing about men, power (or celebrity), and sex.  Power and celebrity are turn-ons, and women are attracted to famous/powerful men ... especially when they're as cute and talented as Woods.  By the same token, men who have reached celebrity status are in a position to sleep with almost any woman they want, and it's very hard to resist that.  Ditto, in a way, for men in positions of power, because an integral part of their power is sexual.

I also think the wives of men like Woods are fully aware -- or should be aware -- of the foregoing dynamic.  I mean, Jackie Kennedy went into her marriage with Jack Kennedy knowing full well his propensity for sleeping around; it's the price she paid for deciding to marry him.  So I've never felt particularly sorry for her, married-to-Jack-wise.

I don't know the situation between Woods and his wife.  I'm thinking they married before he was famous and, if so, his fame and celebrity is a tangible factor that probably has affected their marriage.  So the two of them will have to figure out how to work it out.  OTOH, if she married him knowing that he had a propensity for sleeping around, then that was her choice and it's therefore possible that neither she nor Woods really have that much to lose by publicity surrounding his involvements with other women.  Thus, for all I know, Woods' statements about striving to be a better person, and striving to be the husband and father his family deserves, could just be a bunch of bullshit designed to bolster a public (but false) image of himself as a faithful husband and family man.  If that's the case, then he certainly wouldn't be the first person to have fostered such a false public image of himself, and he certainly won't be the last.

The other reality is that once you're a celebrity on the order of Woods -- and particularly a popular celebrity, like an athlete or a rock star (at least in the US; in Europe, some opera singers have rock star status) -- your life is very much no longer your own.  So you have to be aware that if you screw up in any way, or if accidental shit happens to you (like this car accident), aspects of your private life -- aspects that you'd very much prefer to keep private -- may become public.  So you just have to learn to live with a certain degree of caution and circumspection.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2009 - 9:27AM #7
Cesmom

Dec 2, 2009 -- 11:59PM, Merope wrote:

I think it's that whole thing about men, power (or celebrity), and sex.  Power and celebrity are turn-ons, and women are attracted to famous/powerful men ... especially when they're as cute and talented as Woods.  By the same token, men who have reached celebrity status are in a position to sleep with almost any woman they want, and it's very hard to resist that.  Ditto, in a way, for men in positions of power, because an integral part of their power is sexual.

I agree.  I imagine there is an added temptation there for those who are attractive, rich, famous and/or powerful.  It takes a man with very strong morals to resist that.  It's unfortunate that he didn't, but it's also unfortunate that he and his family are in a position to have their problems so much in the public light.  I imagine there are a lot more cheaters out there than we realize...

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2009 - 9:39AM #8
Girlchristian

Dec 3, 2009 -- 9:27AM, Cesmom wrote:

Dec 2, 2009 -- 11:59PM, Merope wrote:

I agree.  I imagine there is an added temptation there for those who are attractive, rich, famous and/or powerful.  It takes a man with very strong morals to resist that.  It's unfortunate that he didn't, but it's also unfortunate that he and his family are in a position to have their problems so much in the public light.  I imagine there are a lot more cheaters out there than we realize...

I wonder if sometimes it also has to do with insecurity.  Men like Tiger are powerful and popular only as long as they play well.  How much people love them changes based on whether or not they had a good day on the course or not.  I doubt his wife adores him as his fans do (loves him, yes, but she sees Tiger as who he is, not some star on a pedestal), she probably sees him as an ordinary guy who happens to be a great golfer.  I'd be willing to bet the woman he had an affair with adored him and gave his ego a boost.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2009 - 11:41AM #9
Christianlib

As Chris Rock (cynically) put it, "A man is only as faithful as his options."

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2009 - 1:47PM #10
REteach

I wonder if my husband and I would have made it if the whole world thought they had a right to contribute their two cents worth?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook