Switch to Forum Live View Why Do You Go To Museums?
6 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2009 - 1:21PM #1
Beliefnetsabee

How often do you visit museums? Do you go because you find them educational or entertaining? Do you have a favorite museum?

I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2009 - 10:59PM #2
Latinbeat

I attend a museum about once every 2 months....it's like going to the theatre...there's always a new exhibit.

I like the Museum of Natural History in NYC the best...and its Planetarium.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2009 - 6:50PM #3
Karma_yeshe_dorje
I live away from the museums. And that's not the sort of entertainment that my friends are into. So I don't go!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 24, 2009 - 4:54AM #4
Newbear

I had to answer this thread! Yes I have a favorite ART museum, THE TOLEDO MUSEUM OF ART, in TOLEDO OHIO! It is one of the best in the world, with art from all of the different art periods in history. There is even a room from Europe there. My parents always took me there as a kid, and several years later it is still one of my favorite places to visit. I feel as if I'm "home" every time I visit. I live near Nashville, Tn. and I can't wait until I can go up there again. The museum is known for its GLASS collection which is one of the best in the world. There are rooms with paintings from each of the art periods with well known works by the best artists. plus check out the Egyptian and Greek exhibits.  Plan on spending a  half a day, if  not longer. The museum also has a theater, and offers all kinds of art lessons to the public. Plus it has cloister room, which happens to be my favorite place there.

We have the Tennessee Museum in Nashville, which is also nice to visit. When I worked at a childcare center, we always planned a field trip there. The children and adults always enjoyed it. The favorite by far was the fire engine.

Nashville also has our own Parthenon which is also great to visit. Plus the Country Music Hall of Fame, and The Ryman Auditorium and other places to visit.

Going to museums should be part of every school program in this country. You never know what child will be inspired by a sculpture or painting seen by that child. Family outings should include art museums, and all other types of museums and historial places. We as adults just need to remember when presenting programs in these places,  need to "reach the child's level." I remember one guide that "lost" the children from the child-care center in the first 5 minutes! While at another place the guide could have talked for hours to the children! They just have to be kid friendly! with all of the different types of entertainment that children are around now, sometimes going to the museum may sound boring to children. But years later, they will be like me, just waiting until I can go back "home" to my favorite museum, THE TOLEDO MUSEUM OF ART or is it THE TOLEDO ART MUSEUM, in TOLEDO, OHIOSmile

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2010 - 6:59PM #5
Myownpath

I've been so so many museums they blend together. 

The next time you go to the Toledo museum be sure to stop off at the Cleveland Museum of Art, my favorite. It's free and getting bigger and better. I hope to donate money to them when I pass. The CMofArt is the reason why I am now an artist/designer.

Other museums - museum of modern art NY, one of the museums in San Francisco (sorry they all blended together) a museum in Florida again blended together, Carnegie - fabulous!...

I'm finding I also like to go to special exhibits and gallery showings. They are smaller and brief, more relevant to today.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook