Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Jon & Kate + 8 - violating child labor laws?
8 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2009 - 2:51PM #1
Agnosticspirit

OK.... I confess.... I do NOT watch this show.... With the exception of Project Runway, Top Chef and Dancing with the Stars.... I do not watch ANY "reality" TV shows...

But you'd have to be living under a rock not to hear about Jon & Kate's reality show... And it appears as if Pennsylvania's Labor Department has also heard about Jon & Kate.... They've opened up an investigation to determine whether child labor laws are being violated with this show.... www.denverpost.com/ci_12481101?source=rs...

Since the state of Pennsylvania ordered this investigation, I can't help but wonder ... Are Amish children working on the farms and in the factories that manufacture Amish furniture also subject to child labor laws?

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2009 - 2:59PM #2
Lonesentinel

Interesting take on the show - is this really 'child labor' is the question...

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 4:47PM #3
world citizen

On the West Coast, our capital of the entertainment industry, children are protected in a number of ways but perhaps the most important is the limited number of hours before the camera.  Concerned relatives of the 'eight' and the children themselves started complaining about cameras following them everywhere around the clock.  They seem to have no freedom from voyeurism which I'd imagine could be very stressful.

Amish children are allowed to be children.  Working on farms is only a small part of their normal lives and it's nothing like slave labor or the sweatshops of the past.

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love.  ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 5:00PM #4
Agnosticspirit

Jun 3, 2009 -- 4:47PM, world citizen wrote:

On the West Coast, our capital of the entertainment industry, children are protected in a number of ways but perhaps the most important is the limited number of hours before the camera.  Concerned relatives of the 'eight' and the children themselves started complaining about cameras following them everywhere around the clock.  They seem to have no freedom from voyeurism which I'd imagine could be very stressful.

Amish children are allowed to be children.  Working on farms is only a small part of their normal lives and it's nothing like slave labor or the sweatshops of the past.

((((((((((((( WC ))))))))))))))) !!!! double triple quadruple hugs, nice to see you my friend! Thank you for chiming in about the Amish.... I'm happy to know they too are protected under the child labor laws....

It's an interesting take from the state of PA in regards to Jon/Kate.... really.... don't  you think the parents should have considered how 24/7 cameras would affect their children? I know I wouldn't want to put myself through that, much less a child.

hugs.....

AS

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 5:29PM #5
world citizen

AS ~ Now, THAT was a welcome!!!  Cool  Hugs to you too...

It's amazing the things some people will do for money, which to this couple seems far more important than the mental health of their children.  Labor laws or not, I view it as a form of psychological child abuse.

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love.  ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2009 - 8:40AM #6
delmarvamom

I don't know about the child labor laws, but I do think that this family is hurting because they put their material wealth above other things.  They both did it, but now it appears she is loving it, refusing to change it,  and he is not happy. 

I think that no matter what the problems they have in their marriage privately, that the public airing of it is not good for them or their children, now and in the future.  We will never really know, despite the images we are shown, exactly who or what is wrong in their marriage.  

I made up my mind about this after reading the People magazine interview with Kate.  She wanted to tell her side, I think to defend herself and answer critics that want to blame her controlling personality for the problems.  I get it, but going to People and airing your private affairs is not going to heal them.  I see it as an aggressive act towards her husband and I don't think I could repair my marriage after that.  

Sad stuff really. 

Whether the kids will suffer due to the TV crew, who knows.  Whether they will suffer due to their parents split is pretty certain.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2009 - 11:45AM #7
Girlchristian

Here's some information on how often the kids are really taped:

"Child labor laws vary by state. Pennsylvania law permits kids who are at least 7 to work in the entertainment industry, as long as a permit is obtained and certain rules are followed. Kids can't generally work after 11:30 p.m., for example, or perform any place that serves alcohol.

The law allows performers younger than 7 to have "temporary employment ... in the production of a motion picture," and spend up to eight hours a day and 44 hours a week on set as long as their "educational instruction, supervision, health and welfare" needs are being met.

In contrast, California has more elaborate rules governing the work of child performers, establishing working hours by age group (20 minutes a day for infants, up to six hours for older kids) and requiring a teacher to be on the set.

Documenting kids, or directing them?
"Jon & Kate Plus 8" tapes off and on throughout the year, averaging two to three hours a day, two to three days a week, Goldberg said.

George Voegele, a labor lawyer at Cozen O'Connor in Philadelphia, said the state Labor Department might well decide it doesn't have jurisdiction over the show, especially if investigators determine the cameras are there to document the kids, not direct them." 

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31001777/

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2009 - 12:05PM #8
Evillynnstar

I watch the show from time to time. I will admit its entertaining. I'm not buying the series or any of the books. However I don't believe they would be breaking any child labor laws, because the kids don't seem to be working. I'm not saying its easy on them, having all the cameras in their house. But they have been with the little ones since they were in diapers. I do believe the mother when she says the crew as become an extended family to them. The kids are use to them and may even have bonded with them. Which does happen. Also I don't believe the show to be scripted, maybe a little when they film them on the couch, but its usually the parents more than the kids. Alot more! The kids are just playing and going about their day has being kids. I also don't judge the parents on having a TV show.

I believe that at least at first, the show was intended for fincial help. Eight kids can be very expensive. I can't imagine how they would have been able to care for those children without the money the made for the show. However I agree that they should have enough money by now. They have a nice house and I hope they put money away for the kids. I wouldn't blame them if they choose to stop the show very soon! I think it would be best. I can see this being very stressful. I also do wonder about the two older girls. I wonder if they get any issue by their peers at school who see the show. Imagine everything that goes on at your house is avaible for the whole world to see. Now all your friends see it. I hope the poor girls haven't been teased as a result of the show. But that is just my two cents.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2009 - 12:30PM #9
Lonesentinel

Jun 4, 2009 -- 12:05PM, Evillynnstar wrote:

I watch the show from time to time. I will admit its entertaining. I'm not buying the series or any of the books. However I don't believe they would be breaking any child labor laws, because the kids don't seem to be working. I'm not saying its easy on them, having all the cameras in their house. But they have been with the little ones since they were in diapers. I do believe the mother when she says the crew as become an extended family to them. The kids are use to them and may even have bonded with them. Which does happen. Also I don't believe the show to be scripted, maybe a little when they film them on the couch, but its usually the parents more than the kids. Alot more! The kids are just playing and going about their day has being kids. I also don't judge the parents on having a TV show.

I believe that at least at first, the show was intended for fincial help. Eight kids can be very expensive. I can't imagine how they would have been able to care for those children without the money the made for the show. However I agree that they should have enough money by now. They have a nice house and I hope they put money away for the kids. I wouldn't blame them if they choose to stop the show very soon! I think it would be best. I can see this being very stressful. I also do wonder about the two older girls. I wonder if they get any issue by their peers at school who see the show. Imagine everything that goes on at your house is avaible for the whole world to see. Now all your friends see it. I hope the poor girls haven't been teased as a result of the show. But that is just my two cents.

Actually, you well said any concern and thought I think I have right now about the show.  Thanks for makin it easy on me! *chuckle*

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2009 - 12:48PM #10
Cesmom

Jun 4, 2009 -- 12:05PM, Evillynnstar wrote:

I agree with everything you're saying here.  It shouldn't be a labor law issue because they truly are being 'documented'. 

I like the show.  Jon & Kate are really pretty entertaining themselves (well, the marital problems now make it a little sad for me to watch them, but I've always found them to be fun to watch in general).  I don't see it as being scripted, but it's entertaining.  If they didn't have the dynamic personalities they have, I'm sure the show wouldn't have been the successs it has been. 

When the kids were younger, I don't think it was such a big deal for them, but yes, now that they are getting older, I think the parents really need to think about shutting off the cameras and letting the kids have some sense of privacy in their lives.  I think the time has come for that.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook