Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View anyone have a book to suggest?
6 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 7:47PM #1
Irishsooz
I really want to get a book....  a story, fictional or biographical about someone converting to Catholosism....... preferably from Orthodox Judaism    because thats the situation Im in right now and I can't seem to find any story or situation or anything in the world that can discribe the way I feel.  Ive never met anyone who has been through such a drastic change of religion and would like to read up on the subject even if its a fictional work.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 7:47PM #2
Irishsooz
I really want to get a book....  a story, fictional or biographical about someone converting to Catholosism....... preferably from Orthodox Judaism    because thats the situation Im in right now and I can't seem to find any story or situation or anything in the world that can discribe the way I feel.  Ive never met anyone who has been through such a drastic change of religion and would like to read up on the subject even if its a fictional work.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 9:33PM #3
hortonthrockmorton
You might check out "Girl Meets God", a memoir about a daughter of a Jewish father and Christian mother who converts to Judaism and then later converts to Christianity (Episcopalian).  I haven't read it, but I remember it coming out and from the reviews it doesn't sound like it's about bashing Judaism.  But, again, I haven't read it.

http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Meets-God-La … 473&sr=8-1
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2008 - 11:56PM #4
Merope
[QUOTE=Irishsooz;948190]I really want to get a book....  a story, fictional or biographical about someone converting to Catholosism....... preferably from Orthodox Judaism    because thats the situation Im in right now and I can't seem to find any story or situation or anything in the world that can discribe the way I feel.  Ive never met anyone who has been through such a drastic change of religion and would like to read up on the subject even if its a fictional work.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]You might also try Thomas Merton's The Seven Storey Mountain.  It's an autobiography that covers Merton's early life through his college and graduate years and his conversion to Catholicism -- culminating in his decision to become a Trappist monk.  He didn't convert from Judaism, though; he was an atheist or an agnostic (I forget which).

[/COLOR]
Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2008 - 5:27PM #5
xomikronx
Oscar Wilde - Collection of His Short Stories.

I love the stories.  Sad yet romantic.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2008 - 2:44PM #6
soma77
A book I suggest explains the science of Christian mysticism is "Evolution of Consciousness" by John Kuykendall. It is a journey to a personal experience with Christ that goes through the layers of the mind and the parts of the mind. It transforms God from being an object to an actual spiritual experience.
The site is thinkunity.com
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2009 - 3:50AM #7
Spiritquesttours

I wanted to let you all know about a new book that's just come out that I LOVE! Forgiving Ararat - very spiritual, but fiction. The prose is incredible, the message powerful, and I hope you'll take a sec to go visit www.forgivingararat.com and read the first 2 chapters, which are free. I am helping to promote the book because I just think it's wonderful!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2010 - 10:53AM #8
Emobunni

This book isn't exactly "spiritual" but it's from one of my favorite authors, Ellen Hobkins. I really enjoy her books and the 3rd book she wrote, Burned, was about a Morman (i think) girl who didn't want to accept her families religion and got into a lot of trouble. I loved all the adventure please take a look at it. It's an absolutely amazing book.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2010 - 8:31PM #9
Secretsofpersistence

Yes! You HAVE to check out Secrets Of The Art Of Persistence! This book will help you get through ANYTHING, no matter how big or small. Check it out:

In tough times like these, persistence couldn’t be even more desirable as a survival quality. The dictionary defines it as; “the quality of continuing steadily despite of problems or difficulty;” the key words here are, “continuing” and “steadily.” Persistence is also the ability to continue in existence. Even though we know that nothing lasts forever – persistence is the ability to make something last for the longest time possible and doing so steadily. When you translate that ability to continue in existence in terms of an individual’s dreams, the life of a relationship or the survival of business, persistence takes on a completely new meaning; and its nothing like your famous annoying car sales man. The ability of something to persist - when placed under a microscope, can be discovered to consist of very precise key structural elements of development and operation.  Any practical dream that was not realized; any relationship that fell apart, or business that folded up sooner than its actual potential, can be found to have been lacking or deficient in one or more of these key elements. Never before, have these elements been presented as a natural formula that can; a) allow an individual to pursue his or her dreams with greater success; b) afford businesses a dynamic basic structure with revolving developmental and expansion opportunities; or c) - give two people the opportunity to build a meaningful relationship. Allow me to present my Second book: Secrets of the Art of Persistence - A basic guide to achieving your goals & the keys to lasting happiness. Even though I wrote this book as a guide for personal growth, its key elements apply to the growth of a business or an organization. The reason why these elements apply to businesses or organizations is that, those too, are run by individuals. Empower an individual, then - you have also empowered a business, an organization, or even a nation. That ultimately is the mission of this book, take advantage of it!

For more information visit: www.anorientationtolife.com/

Available on Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble.com, Powell's.com or you can order through your local bookstore; also available in e-book format.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2011 - 1:12AM #10
Natashae

THis bookdeals with different types of fear that we face in life. The author takes examples from the Bible of people confronting these types of fear and how God responds . It is a great comfort !

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook