Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Sci Fi/Fantasy Authors?
6 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2008 - 2:25AM #21
aminkler
if you like elven/science fiction/cyber punk book look into
keep it real
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2008 - 10:05AM #22
The_Absent_Minded_Princess
William Sleator is excellent.  "House of Stairs" is one of his best.  :) 

Happy reading!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2008 - 10:07AM #23
The_Absent_Minded_Princess
[QUOTE=Gtafuro;446641]For good, hard science fiction, go with Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game or Arthur C. Clark's Rama.  Both are fast, exciting reads that are true to the genre.

On the fantasy side of the spectrum, I'm fond of George RR Martin.[/QUOTE]

I've heard Orson Scott Card is wonderful!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 8:28AM #24
zorro2
my favorite is stephen king, his movies are somewhat scarry but not all of them, I'm sure he is one author you have heard of. he also goes by another name or his son does but the name escapes me now. anyway he has made such books turned movies such as carrie, christine," thinner" was my favorite book, he has made too many to list. charmed ones, was a television episode it was really good about three witches, it is now a book, and the best book I know of now is "Lost" based on the very highly rated t.v. show "Lost" they have it on dvd, and it is still on televison it starts its 5th season in january, it is phoenomenal about a plane crash on an not so deserted island. it has everything, mystery, suspenpens, sci fi, romance, adventure and shock and awe. I would watch the pilot of the series online first before getting the books just to check it out and see if you like it. you can check out lost online and any other t.v. show at www.tv-video.net. but that would be a book you couldn't put down. if you Like mystery, supernatural, scifi, romance, adverture all in one.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 8:28AM #25
zorro2
my favorite is stephen king, his movies are somewhat scarry but not all of them, I'm sure he is one author you have heard of. he also goes by another name or his son does but the name escapes me now. anyway he has made such books turned movies such as carrie, christine," thinner" was my favorite book, he has made too many to list. charmed ones, was a television episode it was really good about three witches, it is now a book, and the best book I know of now is "Lost" based on the very highly rated t.v. show "Lost" they have it on dvd, and it is still on televison it starts its 5th season in january, it is phoenomenal about a plane crash on an not so deserted island. it has everything, mystery, suspenpens, sci fi, romance, adventure and shock and awe. I would watch the pilot of the series online first before getting the books just to check it out and see if you like it. you can check out lost online and any other t.v. show at www.tv-video.net. but that would be a book you couldn't put down. if you Like mystery, supernatural, scifi, romance, adverture all in one.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2008 - 3:05AM #26
MsMarchHare
A very riveting read, many different characters hearing "God" and doing what they think "God" wants....but who is really hearing "God" and who is being deluded.  It is a fantasy novel series that explores fanaticism, lack of belief, doubting one's beliefs, and learning tolerance.

In Mijak, Hekat is a young girl sold into slavery who finds that her god is guiding her towards greater things, she rises to heights unknown, and marches forward with her son Zandakar to win the world for her god.  Zandakar is the young warlord/prince who loves a simple, gentle woman and questions his mission to kill those who will not turn to his god...the story progresses through many lands, detailed cultures, I highly recommend it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2009 - 12:00PM #27
Spidertotem
Tolkiens Lord od the Rings and the Silmarillion,Alan Dean Foster-Spellsinger(find it youll like it)and L Ron Hubbards Mission Earth series(10 books) and Battlefield Earth-Please dont watch that movie its awful stick to the book.Also Steven Kings Gunslinger series,an eclectic mix of Sci Fi,fantasy and horror.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 11:53AM #28
Nightwriterx
Starhawk's "Fifth Sacred Thing" and "Walking to Mercury" are also very good.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 2:17PM #29
petofi
I can't believe no one has mentioned Philip K. Dick in regards to Sci/Fi.  "Valis,"  "The Divine Invasion" and "The Transmigration of Timothy Archer" are excellent works.

Dick received the Hugo Award in 1962 for "The Man In the High Castle," a novel about the Axis forces winning World War II.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2009 - 1:13AM #30
bytebear

The_Absent_Minded_Princess wrote:

I've heard Orson Scott Card is wonderful!

He is.  He is also a contributor on BeliefNet!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook