Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Sci Fi/Fantasy Authors?
7 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2008 - 11:13PM #1
javagirl
Hello all,

First time to post on this forum--just looking for advice.  I have never read much Sci Fi or Fantasy, but want to try it out.  I went to the bookstore and got overwhelmed by all the choices.  I didn't recognize any authors.

I'd like to check out a few titles from the library and was hoping someone could recommend some authors or series to start with.  I think what I'm looking for would be classified more as Fantasy than Sci Fi.  I guess I'm looking for stories that include wizardry, magic or the supernatural. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

~Java
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2008 - 11:43PM #2
Feinics
hmm im gonna be lazy and toss out a few of my fave authors,you can google for their books (its nearly  twenty to 5 int he mornin here so il hope you'll let me off the hook;)
Some of my fave fantasy stuff would include books by Tolkien, Robert Jordan (you'd want read the books one after another cos for my lazy head there was too much going on that Id forget when there was along gap between em but excellent nonetheless) , David Eddings . Theres plenty of wizardy type stuff goin on in those.
And Orson Scott Card does a great sci fi series the ender saga but has some decent fantasy stuff too! Emmm maybe try nightwatch, daywatch ..etc..   Ill go off an have a think of more and come back when im not goin off on a major ramble...:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2008 - 1:41AM #3
zenman1
I  don't  know  any of  the  new  guys.  I  have  read  all of  Frank  Herbert...Dune  trillogy  and  many  others.  Harlan  Ellison  is  not  all s.f.  but  interesting.  Old  standards  are  Isaac  Asimov .....  Foundation  Trilogy.   And  I  love  Arthur  C.  Clark....Jesus  incident,  3  books  and  Rama  trilogy  and  2001  & 2010   made  it  to  the  big  screen.  All in  library.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2008 - 2:45AM #4
milk_of_amnesia
Hello Javagirl,

The other posters have made some fine suggestions. I have always been partial to Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea Tales. See Wikipedia-Earthsea for more information.

Kindest regards,

moa
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2008 - 3:18AM #5
kilgoretrout2006
Anna McAffery's dragon books are sort of classic. (Dragons, hot romance, what's not to love?) I think Dragonflight is the first. And Terry Goodkind writes epic fantasy, starting with "Wizard's first rule", that's pretty good. (Though a little violent.)

If you want to try some sc/fi there's a fairly new author named John Scalzi that has a series that begins with a book called "Old Man's War". I've just read the first so far but it's a good fun read.

Luck.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2008 - 10:19AM #6
Faustus5
If you want to read science fiction that is both intelligent and ground breaking, try William Gibson's Neuromancer.  This is the book where the term "cyberspace" was first coined.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2008 - 4:47PM #7
Feinics
[QUOTE=kilgoretrout2006;258737]Anna McAffery's dragon books are sort of classic. (Dragons, hot romance, what's not to love?) I think Dragonflight is the first. And Terry Goodkind writes epic fantasy, starting with "Wizard's first rule", that's pretty good. (Though a little violent.)
[/QUOTE]

oooh totally!! i love theMcCaffery books theyre great!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2008 - 5:39AM #8
lil_lamb
terry pratchett's disc world series is easy reading and quite fun. look for the ones with granny weatherwax.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2008 - 5:39AM #9
lil_lamb
terry pratchett's disc world series is easy reading and quite fun. look for the ones with granny weatherwax.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2008 - 11:04AM #10
shellyruff66
I'm a big fan of the Dragonlance series, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.  Also David & Leigh Eddings, Mercedes Lackey, Eve Forward and Jaquiline Carey.  All of these authors create strong character beautiful lands to explore and storyline you will want to visit again and again.  They also include their own unique belief systems and mysticism that will open your mind to new possibilities, even if only within the experience of each book.  Enjoy!

Shelly
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook