nnn123
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2008 - 12:50PM #2
MarleneEmmett5
[QUOTE=nnn123;752514]Michelangelo's Pieta

http://static.artbible.info/large/miche … _pieta.jpg[/QUOTE]

NNN123:
Did you know that the Pieta was the only piece that Michangelo ever signed?????
Story goes that he snuck into where the piece was being exhibited and took his tools
and carved his name along the sash on the Virgin's gown!!!
because no one beleived that someone like Michangelo had carved the statue!

There's a book out called "The Secrets of the Sistine: About him and the ceiling.
Check it out.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2009 - 6:33PM #3
kismit
Beautiful piece of art!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2009 - 6:40PM #4
sydneymoon
Oh, I missed this thread. It is an exquisite work of art. I saw it on a trip to Italy many years ago. It took my breath away. :)
Margaret Mead: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2009 - 6:33PM #5
kismit
Beautiful piece of art!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2009 - 7:47AM #6
Eudaimonist

My favorite of his is still his Statue of David. :)

eudaimonia,

Mark

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2009 - 3:25PM #7
rgr075

I was in Florence this past weekend with the family; we went to see the statue, David, at the Galleria Dell Accademia. It was truly powerful.

Mike

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2010 - 6:35PM #8
karemiss

I read a novel about Michael Angelo called the Agony and the Extasis. Wonderful book. And when I saw Pieta, well..it's the closest I have come to have mystical experience. The expression in that face! Acceptance, sadness, confusion, forgivness, wisdom, love, hope. It made me realized that (although am not a Christian) there is a Pieta in every mother, in every father, in every human who ever loved another human being and who must live with the knowledge that some day we will feel like the Mary in the sculpture does. A truly magnifecent piece of Art.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 1:33PM #9
MarleneEmmett5

Jan 3, 2010 -- 6:35PM, karemiss wrote:

I read a novel about Michael Angelo called the Agony and the Extasis. Wonderful book. And when I saw Pieta, well..it's the closest I have come to have mystical experience. The expression in that face! Acceptance, sadness, confusion, forgivness, wisdom, love, hope. It made me realized that (although am not a Christian) there is a Pieta in every mother, in every father, in every human who ever loved another human being and who must live with the knowledge that some day we will feel like the Mary in the sculpture does. A truly magnifecent piece of Art.

Not only have I read the book that you're refferring to I've also seen the 1965 "bio/pic"
by the same name "The Agony & The Exactsy" who knows how many times.
Michelangelo was  played by Charlton Heston,Pope Julius was played by Rex Harrison.
Dianna Celanto played Contesinna DeMedici.

The camera work is truly beautiful~And you get to see what gave Michelangelo some of
his ideas for the Sistine Chapel which is still a truly beautiful piece of artwork.

Now you may want to go and read a book called "The  Sistine Secrets" .
It's sort of a "DiVinci Code" where it tells that Michelangelo left secrets painted into the
Sistine Ceiling like DaVinci,who was his rival had painted into his pictures.

I've been in the Sistine Chapel~and I myself am also not a Catholic~but I do have Christian
leanings due to my background: I'm Jewish,Italian,Austrian,Irish,German, & Russian.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2010 - 8:18PM #10
Myownpath

It seems as if Michelangelo was into the science of anatomy.

www.physorg.com/news196441618.html

www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook