Page 2 of 37  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 37 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What are you currently reading?
7 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 10:43AM #11
Sacrificialgoddess
Well, I finished "Spook," (Lovely book) and now I am on to Fastfood Nation by Eric Schlosser.
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 12:30PM #12
steppewanderer
I am reading the last few pages of George Lakoff and Mark Johnson's Metaphors We Live By.  Quite a interesting study of metaphors and their use in language.  The authors make a convincing argument for a middle ground between the extremes of objectivism and subjectivism based on their study of metaphors.

I think William Golding's The Spire is next on the list to read.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2007 - 6:49PM #13
Andy1945
Well, I've just finished reading "Church of God? or the Temples of Satan" for about the tenth time. :cool:
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2007 - 10:41PM #14
Pam34
I just finished re-reading Diana Gabaldon's Jamie and Claire series from start to current last -
Outlander
Dragonfly in Amber
Voyager
Drums of Autumn
the Fiery Cross
A Breath of Snow and Ashes

mainly because she just admitted that the NEXT book now has a TITLE - which means it might see the light of day sometime, oh, around mid 2009...

sigh

Nobody writes fast enough to suit me.
Otherwise, I'm just cruising rapidly through fairly lightweight stuff, a little romance, a little sci-fi, a little mystery, a trace of paranormal (ONLY a trace!) and the Dexter books.
(they are absolutely hilarious, once you are ready to take on a sociopathic serial killer as protagonist)
Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2007 - 3:24PM #15
Merope
[COLOR="Navy"]I just bought Alan Paton's Cry, the Beloved Country, although I've not yet settled down with it.

I also picked up Doctorow's The March, which I've likewise not yet settled down with.  I dunno about this one though ... all the blurbs on the dust jacket are about Doctorow's other books :/  I'm thinking this one might not have been very well received.

Meanwhile, I'm sort of in comfort mode, rereading a lot of P.D. James and reading a Hazel Holt  "Mrs. Malory" mystery. [/COLOR]
Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2007 - 9:10PM #16
kilgoretrout2006
Just finishing "Street Zen: The Life and Work of Issan Dorsey". It's about a guy that started out as a drag queen/junkie and ended up a Buddhist monk. And I'm thinking about trying "Love Again" by Doris Lessing, even though I tend to get a little bored with her. (I've tried "The Golden Notebook" twice without making it all the way through.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2007 - 9:10PM #17
kilgoretrout2006
Just finishing "Street Zen: The Life and Work of Issan Dorsey". It's about a guy that started out as a drag queen/junkie and ended up a Buddhist monk. And I'm thinking about trying "Love Again" by Doris Lessing, even though I tend to get a little bored with her. (I've tried "The Golden Notebook" twice without making it all the way through.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2007 - 2:47PM #18
Faustus5
Blonde Faith by Walter Mosley.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2007 - 3:40PM #19
steppewanderer
I read this a little while back, but it was good enough to deserve mention:

Bones of the Master: A Journey to Secret Mongolia
by George Crane
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2007 - 6:08PM #20
kilgoretrout2006
[QUOTE=steppewanderer;93237]I read this a little while back, but it was good enough to deserve mention:

Bones of the Master: A Journey to Secret Mongolia
by George Crane[/QUOTE]

Right, about the monk that returns to China to honor his dead Master. That was good.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 37  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 37 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook