Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Conscious Mind Interfering with Contact?
7 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2008 - 8:55PM #1
ShadowsCast
So, I read about spirit guides a bit ago.  Around Christmastime, probably the day after Solstice.  And I was reading the website of a medium that I greatly respect, Erin Pavlina, and her talk about contacting peoples' spirit guides and "translating" for them caught my attention and roused my curiosity.  So, without any preamble at all (mind you, I am a Witch and so I'm pretty used to working with the non-visible and sensing/sending energy, not like I just tried it out of the box), I sent out my own sort of "Um...hi.  Anyone around, want to talk?"  And within milliseconds, I got a very clear reply.  Very definite contact, I don't recall specific words being used, but there was a sense of "Finally!  Yes!  Let's talk."  The sense was of a masculine spirit, or that's how my mind interpreted it, and for some reason I called him Michael.  I also got a sort of overwhelming sense of the color blue, a sort of hazy-deep-powder-blue, if that makes any sense.

And I...I think I dropped the contact.  Accidentally, more out of startlement.  But I couldn't pick it back up right away.  I was starting to doubt that I HAD made contact, when I suddenly developed the hiccups.  And for whatever reason, I didn't think they were naturally occurring.  So I snapped, rather irritably, "Michael, would you cut it out please?"  And poof, they stopped.  Eerie.  So, faith restored - at least the faith that there WAS someone with whom I was connected and that I HAD spoken to him - I tried again.  We spoke briefly, but I was having a hard time maintaining contact. 

The next day, in the shower, I had the sudden feeling that I would be seeing my boyfriend that day, that he was going to show up to visit me and surprise me.  Normally that's not such an odd feeling, only I was showering in my mom's bathroom at my childhood home in California, and as far as I knew, my boyfriend was at work at his holiday job in Tennessee.  He'd told me that he'd be at work all day just that morning.  I reached out again for Michael, and asked him what was up with that feeling.  I asked if I was right, if I'd be seeing my boyfriend that day.  And the instant response was, yes.  Only then my conscious mind interfered, and I was suddenly rationalizing, and ended up convincing myself that I'd only heard "yes" because that was what I wanted to hear, that it was just my subconscious feeding me the answers I was looking for.

Well, fast forward a few hours, and after my mom left, ostensibly to visit her boyfriend, she came home with my boyfriend in tow. 

So now what?  Every time since then, when I've tried to contact Michael, I've gotten a sense of initial contact, and then I've started doubting myself again.  Every time I think I get an answer, I have to start asking myself if it's really what I'm hearing from an external source, or if I'm talking to myself.  This doubt is just wreaking havoc with my ability to contact Michael - or Tana, the female guide I felt briefly the first night, decidedly female and much softer-spoken and reserved. 

So has anyone had this experience before?  How do you know if you've really made contact with someone, or if you're just navel-gazing?  It's irritating to me, and I've felt during those brief moments of contact that it's irritating Michael a little bit, too, although he's being more patient than I am.  Would getting someone else, asking a medium to help do any good?  Because I'd like to be able to talk to them on my own, but this doubt is a constant hindrance and I don't know how to shake it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2008 - 9:39PM #2
Rivermom
Ultimately you are going to have to make a leap of faith and trust in yourself.  What does it matter if it is your inner thought processes.  Sometimes our guides use those as well.  You got messages that worked out.  Messages that really don't add up or point to coincidence.  Try to relax and give yourself time and permission to explore.  Too often we want defnitive proof and we want it now!  it took time to walk as a baby.  It will take time to flex these new muscles as well.  If you are open to it, you will be fine.  I believe the shower is a good place to make contact.  running water has a way of relaxing us and letting things flow.  You've already taken some big steps. congratulations!

Rivermom
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2008 - 10:13PM #3
Stardove
ShadowsCast, I'm in agreement with Rivermom. Trust that you are connecting. In the end that is what a medium does is trust the information they are given. Welcome to the Spirit Guide Forum. I hope you will enjoy exploring this area. :)

Just want to add that if I am doing a reading for someone else I pray (ask) that my brain organ be silent and allow the voice of Sprit to come through. I do think it is wise to have a door keeper, the role of one of the guides, to guard and protect one as they do mediumship work.
Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 12:00AM #4
ShadowsCast
Funny, because after reading Rivermom's post - before I'd seen yours - I had a moment when my boyfriend told me he was going over to a friend's house.  I suddenly got a touch of fear, for his safety on the road.  So I stopped and asked, Is this legit?  Should I be afraid for his safety?  And the immediate answer was, no, he's safe.  I think I can begin to recognize it a little, because those answers come so much FASTER than do my own imaginings and rationalizations.

Then I probed further, on a whim, and asked, Should I go with him anyway?  And the answer to that was an urged yes, despite the fact that I have a number of things I *should* be doing tonight instead.  But it feels good to be going over anyway. 

So I'm not sure what's up, but here goes a foray into trusting what I'm given.  Thank you both for your replies and welcome!  :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2008 - 8:55PM #5
ShadowsCast
So, I read about spirit guides a bit ago.  Around Christmastime, probably the day after Solstice.  And I was reading the website of a medium that I greatly respect, Erin Pavlina, and her talk about contacting peoples' spirit guides and "translating" for them caught my attention and roused my curiosity.  So, without any preamble at all (mind you, I am a Witch and so I'm pretty used to working with the non-visible and sensing/sending energy, not like I just tried it out of the box), I sent out my own sort of "Um...hi.  Anyone around, want to talk?"  And within milliseconds, I got a very clear reply.  Very definite contact, I don't recall specific words being used, but there was a sense of "Finally!  Yes!  Let's talk."  The sense was of a masculine spirit, or that's how my mind interpreted it, and for some reason I called him Michael.  I also got a sort of overwhelming sense of the color blue, a sort of hazy-deep-powder-blue, if that makes any sense.

And I...I think I dropped the contact.  Accidentally, more out of startlement.  But I couldn't pick it back up right away.  I was starting to doubt that I HAD made contact, when I suddenly developed the hiccups.  And for whatever reason, I didn't think they were naturally occurring.  So I snapped, rather irritably, "Michael, would you cut it out please?"  And poof, they stopped.  Eerie.  So, faith restored - at least the faith that there WAS someone with whom I was connected and that I HAD spoken to him - I tried again.  We spoke briefly, but I was having a hard time maintaining contact. 

The next day, in the shower, I had the sudden feeling that I would be seeing my boyfriend that day, that he was going to show up to visit me and surprise me.  Normally that's not such an odd feeling, only I was showering in my mom's bathroom at my childhood home in California, and as far as I knew, my boyfriend was at work at his holiday job in Tennessee.  He'd told me that he'd be at work all day just that morning.  I reached out again for Michael, and asked him what was up with that feeling.  I asked if I was right, if I'd be seeing my boyfriend that day.  And the instant response was, yes.  Only then my conscious mind interfered, and I was suddenly rationalizing, and ended up convincing myself that I'd only heard "yes" because that was what I wanted to hear, that it was just my subconscious feeding me the answers I was looking for.

Well, fast forward a few hours, and after my mom left, ostensibly to visit her boyfriend, she came home with my boyfriend in tow. 

So now what?  Every time since then, when I've tried to contact Michael, I've gotten a sense of initial contact, and then I've started doubting myself again.  Every time I think I get an answer, I have to start asking myself if it's really what I'm hearing from an external source, or if I'm talking to myself.  This doubt is just wreaking havoc with my ability to contact Michael - or Tana, the female guide I felt briefly the first night, decidedly female and much softer-spoken and reserved. 

So has anyone had this experience before?  How do you know if you've really made contact with someone, or if you're just navel-gazing?  It's irritating to me, and I've felt during those brief moments of contact that it's irritating Michael a little bit, too, although he's being more patient than I am.  Would getting someone else, asking a medium to help do any good?  Because I'd like to be able to talk to them on my own, but this doubt is a constant hindrance and I don't know how to shake it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2008 - 9:39PM #6
Rivermom
Ultimately you are going to have to make a leap of faith and trust in yourself.  What does it matter if it is your inner thought processes.  Sometimes our guides use those as well.  You got messages that worked out.  Messages that really don't add up or point to coincidence.  Try to relax and give yourself time and permission to explore.  Too often we want defnitive proof and we want it now!  it took time to walk as a baby.  It will take time to flex these new muscles as well.  If you are open to it, you will be fine.  I believe the shower is a good place to make contact.  running water has a way of relaxing us and letting things flow.  You've already taken some big steps. congratulations!

Rivermom
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2008 - 10:13PM #7
Stardove
ShadowsCast, I'm in agreement with Rivermom. Trust that you are connecting. In the end that is what a medium does is trust the information they are given. Welcome to the Spirit Guide Forum. I hope you will enjoy exploring this area. :)

Just want to add that if I am doing a reading for someone else I pray (ask) that my brain organ be silent and allow the voice of Sprit to come through. I do think it is wise to have a door keeper, the role of one of the guides, to guard and protect one as they do mediumship work.
Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 12:00AM #8
ShadowsCast
Funny, because after reading Rivermom's post - before I'd seen yours - I had a moment when my boyfriend told me he was going over to a friend's house.  I suddenly got a touch of fear, for his safety on the road.  So I stopped and asked, Is this legit?  Should I be afraid for his safety?  And the immediate answer was, no, he's safe.  I think I can begin to recognize it a little, because those answers come so much FASTER than do my own imaginings and rationalizations.

Then I probed further, on a whim, and asked, Should I go with him anyway?  And the answer to that was an urged yes, despite the fact that I have a number of things I *should* be doing tonight instead.  But it feels good to be going over anyway. 

So I'm not sure what's up, but here goes a foray into trusting what I'm given.  Thank you both for your replies and welcome!  :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 08, 2008 - 5:37PM #9
spiritalk
[QUOTE=ShadowsCast;193352]So, I read about spirit guides a bit ago.  Around Christmastime, probably the day after Solstice.  And I was reading the website of a medium that I greatly respect, Erin Pavlina, and her talk about contacting peoples' spirit guides and "translating" for them caught my attention and roused my curiosity.  So, without any preamble at all (mind you, I am a Witch and so I'm pretty used to working with the non-visible and sensing/sending energy, not like I just tried it out of the box), I sent out my own sort of "Um...hi.  Anyone around, want to talk?"  And within milliseconds, I got a very clear reply.  Very definite contact, I don't recall specific words being used, but there was a sense of "Finally!  Yes!  Let's talk."  The sense was of a masculine spirit, or that's how my mind interpreted it, and for some reason I called him Michael.  I also got a sort of overwhelming sense of the color blue, a sort of hazy-deep-powder-blue, if that makes any sense.

So has anyone had this experience before?  How do you know if you've really made contact with someone, or if you're just navel-gazing?  It's irritating to me, and I've felt during those brief moments of contact that it's irritating Michael a little bit, too, although he's being more patient than I am.  Would getting someone else, asking a medium to help do any good?  Because I'd like to be able to talk to them on my own, but this doubt is a constant hindrance and I don't know how to shake it.[/QUOTE]

The key to spirit contact is meditation.  Try a meditation in which you put a place of peace in your mind and then add a symbol and seat for your own guide to contact you.  Communication is always two way - ask questions and dialogue when contact is made.

The stronger we make this partnership/communion, the easier it gets over time and the more confidence we have in its potential.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 08, 2008 - 5:37PM #10
spiritalk
[QUOTE=ShadowsCast;193352]So, I read about spirit guides a bit ago.  Around Christmastime, probably the day after Solstice.  And I was reading the website of a medium that I greatly respect, Erin Pavlina, and her talk about contacting peoples' spirit guides and "translating" for them caught my attention and roused my curiosity.  So, without any preamble at all (mind you, I am a Witch and so I'm pretty used to working with the non-visible and sensing/sending energy, not like I just tried it out of the box), I sent out my own sort of "Um...hi.  Anyone around, want to talk?"  And within milliseconds, I got a very clear reply.  Very definite contact, I don't recall specific words being used, but there was a sense of "Finally!  Yes!  Let's talk."  The sense was of a masculine spirit, or that's how my mind interpreted it, and for some reason I called him Michael.  I also got a sort of overwhelming sense of the color blue, a sort of hazy-deep-powder-blue, if that makes any sense.

So has anyone had this experience before?  How do you know if you've really made contact with someone, or if you're just navel-gazing?  It's irritating to me, and I've felt during those brief moments of contact that it's irritating Michael a little bit, too, although he's being more patient than I am.  Would getting someone else, asking a medium to help do any good?  Because I'd like to be able to talk to them on my own, but this doubt is a constant hindrance and I don't know how to shake it.[/QUOTE]

The key to spirit contact is meditation.  Try a meditation in which you put a place of peace in your mind and then add a symbol and seat for your own guide to contact you.  Communication is always two way - ask questions and dialogue when contact is made.

The stronger we make this partnership/communion, the easier it gets over time and the more confidence we have in its potential.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook