Switch to Forum Live View Help and Comfort Please (Cont'd)
7 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2007 - 10:31PM #1
FantasiaSmith
Hello, Lovely People!

So many of you read and contributed to my old "Help and Comfort, Please?" thread (potentially subtitled, "My Husband Is Leaving Me for Another Woman -- Thank God!") that I thought you might like to hear the "end" of the story...

(For those of you who are new to "Spirit Guides", you can read the whole drama at

http://www.beliefnet.com/boards/message … nID=498192   -- but be forewarned -- it's a long, long thread!)

So, my world as it stands now...

Last Wednesday, the ex and I signed the papers that officially paid off the mortgage on the house and transferred his half of the ownership to me.  At the same time, I signed the papers that would officially sell the house as of Friday to Jeffery, my first husband, who has been and continues to be fully supportive of me, both emotionally and financially, since my divorce from the ex.

So Jeffery now owns the house free and clear, with no mortgage on it whatsoever.  That's good and right -- he re-financed his own house (that he and I bought together 19 years ago, but which I granted him in our divorce agreement 8 years ago) to pay off the mortgage on this one, and he's been giving me money to pay my expenses for the last year and a half.

Jeffery also signed a Power of Attorney that gives me the right to live in this house and deal with all the legal, financial, and practical aspects of maintaining, renovating, and altering the property as his agent.  In other words, I will be able to sign everything that the "owner" of the property needs to sign, apply for permits in his name, etc.

Jeffery will be applying for an equity loan on this house to finance the renovations it so desperately needs...  and because he owns the house free and clear, he should have no trouble qualifying for the loan.

The ex is out of the picture.  He holds an unsecured promissory note for the remaining balance that Jeffery and I couldn't get the bank to finance -- $32K -- and it must be repaid within three and a half years, before the fifth anniversary of our divorce, or there are steep penalties (which I wrote into the note to make sure that the ex would accept it).  But there's no interest on it until then.

The ex's dad has a junker vehicle still left on the property, and I asked him as nicely as I could on Saturday to please have it removed by 1/1/08.  I explained that Jeff now owns the property, I have his Power of Attorney authorizing me to deal with every issue concerning the property, and Jeff doesn't want the vehicle left in the driveway... to which the ex's dad replied, "Oh, I'm sure I could work something out if I talked with Jeff."

I said, "You ARE talking to Jeff.  I have his Power of Attorney, so for all intents and purposes, you are now talking to the owner of the property...  and he wants the vehicle removed before New Year's Day."

Wow, the ex's dad was quiet when I said that!

(That non-running junker has been in the driveway for over FIVE years.  I've been asking the ex's dad to move it since last April...  but the two of them don't do anything until they've been backed into a corner, and then they say I'm being "unreasonable"!  Well, too bad this time.  If I really want to be unreasonable, I'll have a tow company take it away.)

So...  the end of the story is, Jeff and I are back together, and having a LOT of fun working together on everything we do!   (The Catholic Church would be pleased, as they still consider us married .  We couldn't "live in sin" if we tried, and believe me, we've been trying!  :)  )...

...  And Jeff and I are going to make the most of our once-in-a-lifetime chance to make some serious money in real estate.  We're not only going to renovate the house, we're also going to partition the 1/3 acre lot (which is zoned for high-density multi-family use), and sell off the back part separately.  We hope to make about $200K profit off the property before we're done with it...  and because I've discovered that I have a real genius for real estate and finances, we'll use the money we get from selling the property to buy other "distressed" properties and fix and re-sell them for profit.  (Cash talks, in real estate.)

Jeff is 51...  so the goal is to make sure that he can retire at the end of nine years, while he's still young enough to enjoy retirement.  We're looking forward to traveling together, and we're looking forward to the adventure of working on old houses together until we're ready to retire...

So...  that brings you all up to date...

Except...  Boy, do I giggle now when I remember the ex calling me "stupid" and "incompetent"!

Love and blessings to all of you!

Claudia
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 1:50PM #2
faithbeginner28
I just want to say that I am excited about your happiness. The one thing I enjoy most in life, now, is seeing others happy. May God bless you with love, joy, and happiness.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook