Post Reply
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View "It s appointed once for a person to die..."
3 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2011 - 12:26PM #1
Craig_w_dressler
Posts: 86
The Bible makes clear that "it is appointed once for a person to die and after that the judgment".  Two recent near-death studies have supported the Christian view of heaven and hell.  Reincarnation is a myth as are disembodied spirits who float around after death.  After death our destination is either heaven or hell.  Faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord gives us the hope of heaven.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2011 - 12:42AM #2
Namchuck
Posts: 11,345

Nov 29, 2011 -- 12:26PM, Craig_w_dressler wrote:

The Bible makes clear that "it is appointed once for a person to die and after that the judgment".  Two recent near-death studies have supported the Christian view of heaven and hell.  Reincarnation is a myth as are disembodied spirits who float around after death.  After death our destination is either heaven or hell.  Faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord gives us the hope of heaven.



I've spent twenty years plus studying near-death experiences and would consider myself very acquainted with both the phenomena and the literature on the subject, so I don't know how I could have missed those supposed "two recent near-death Studies" that you claim support the "Christian view of heaven and hell".


Perhaps you could provide references to the appropriate peer-reviewed journals, papers, etc?


In the mean time, the fact remains that there is no compelling evidence that we live on after death.


Actually, a host of recent studies (See: Dean Mobbs, Medical Research Council, Cognition and Brain Sciences, Cambridge; and Caroline Watt, University of Edinburgh, Department of Psychology for an overview of recent research) has revealed the potential underpinnings for all the elements of the near-death experience within our own biology.


There are two deep-seated needs in humans: the need to survive and the need for security. We have invented God to meet the latter, and life-after-death to meet the former.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2011 - 2:49PM #3
Namchuck
Posts: 11,345

Nov 29, 2011 -- 12:26PM, Craig_w_dressler wrote:

The Bible makes clear that "it is appointed once for a person to die and after that the judgment".  Two recent near-death studies have supported the Christian view of heaven and hell.  Reincarnation is a myth as are disembodied spirits who float around after death.  After death our destination is either heaven or hell.  Faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord gives us the hope of heaven.



You haven't run off again, have you, Craig!?




Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2011 - 3:59AM #4
bellybeans
Posts: 26

While we are still here living in God's glory let us not forget that this is just a dress rehearsal to the next phase of of life with our saviour and creator.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2011 - 5:21PM #5
Namchuck
Posts: 11,345

Dec 18, 2011 -- 3:59AM, bellybeans wrote:


While we are still here living in God's glory let us not forget that this is just a dress rehearsal to the next phase of of life with our saviour and creator.




Sure, that makes sense, doesn't it!? Undecided


Take the million Jewish children who died in unimaginably horrible ways during the Nazi holocaust. Was that a "dress rehearsal" for a glorious "next phase of life"?


And for that matter, were they "living in God's glory" in this life?


Why is it that religious belief appears to deprive people of their capacity to think and reason?



Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2011 - 5:46PM #6
christine3
Posts: 6,663

Nov 29, 2011 -- 12:26PM, Craig_w_dressler wrote:

The Bible makes clear that "it is appointed once for a person to die and after that the judgment".  Two recent near-death studies have supported the Christian view of heaven and hell.  Reincarnation is a myth as are disembodied spirits who float around after death.  After death our destination is either heaven or hell.  Faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord gives us the hope of heaven.






You should take a world religions class before making such statements.  You can't be blamed for naivity being young, but are definitely responsible for not searching out the truth and roots of Christianity.  His teachings had absolutely nothing [NOTHING] to do with this  propaganda and narrow-mindedness you've just presented.  I want to reiterate that you can't be blamed for lack of exposure to basic tennants of truth in this world until you've been exposed to certain truths....and after that deny them.  Then you ARE responsible.

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 months ago  ::  Oct 16, 2013 - 3:34PM #7
Craig_w_dressler
Posts: 86

All beliefs systems are exclusive no matter whether it is Hinduism or Islam or any belief system.  To label just Christianity with an exclusive claim is philosophical dishonesty.  If something is true, that means it is mutually exclusive from other beliefs.  All beliefs can't be true because they contradict each other.  We have a choice of which to believe in and our life is the timeline in which to make that choice. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 months ago  ::  Nov 15, 2013 - 2:05AM #8
Namchuck
Posts: 11,345

Oct 16, 2013 -- 3:34PM, Craig_w_dressler wrote:


All beliefs systems are exclusive no matter whether it is Hinduism or Islam or any belief system.  To label just Christianity with an exclusive claim is philosophical dishonesty.  If something is true, that means it is mutually exclusive from other beliefs.  All beliefs can't be true because they contradict each other.  We have a choice of which to believe in and our life is the timeline in which to make that choice. 




All religions are based on faith. Even opposing religions are based on faith. If faith can lead to false beliefs, of what value is it?


Unless a belief can be sustained by empirical, rational, and objective evidence, there is no need to embrace it at all. In fact, it would be a sign of both mental and spiritual health to be skeptical of all beliefs based on faith, given how inconsistent and contradictory they are.


In this respect, all religions are in the same creaky and leaking boat. 




Quick Reply
Cancel
9 months ago  ::  Nov 17, 2013 - 8:12PM #9
iamachildofhis
Posts: 10,394

Nov 15, 2013 -- 2:05AM, Namchuck wrote:



Oct 16, 2013 -- 3:34PM, Craig_w_dressler wrote:

All beliefs systems are exclusive no matter whether it is Hinduism or Islam or any belief system.  To label just Christianity with an exclusive claim is philosophical dishonesty.  If something is true, that means it is mutually exclusive from other beliefs.  All beliefs can't be true because they contradict each other.  We have a choice of which to believe in and our life is the timeline in which to make that choice. 


Namchuck: All religions are based on faith. Even opposing religions are based on faith. If faith can lead to false beliefs, of what value is it?


Unless a belief can be sustained by empirical, rational, and objective evidence, there is no need to embrace it at all. In fact, it would be a sign of both mental and spiritual health to be skeptical of all beliefs based on faith, given how inconsistent and contradictory they are.


In this respect, all religions are in the same creaky and leaking boat.



iama:  Your definition for "faith" does NOT agree with how "faith" is used in The Holy Bible.


"Faith CAME."

The wonder of Christmas is that the God Who dwelt among us, now, can dwell within us. - Roy Lessin
.
"Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."
.
Justice is receiving what you deserve.
Mercy is NOT receiving what you deserve.
Grace is receiving what you DO NOT deserve.
.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 months ago  ::  Nov 20, 2013 - 1:09AM #10
Namchuck
Posts: 11,345

Nov 17, 2013 -- 8:12PM, iamachildofhis wrote:



iama:  Your definition for "faith" does NOT agree with how "faith" is used in The Holy Bible.


"Faith CAME."




'Faith', which is the pretence to knowledge that one doesn't have, is the basis of all religions, even opposing religions. If faith can lead to false beliefs, then of what value is faith?


Faith is a failed epistemology which involves positing make-believe metaphysical entities.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook