Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
3 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2011 - 3:26PM #1
Fodaoson

Dr ”death” Kevorkian has died. And James  “ Marshall Matt Dillon” also has died.   Kevorkian helped people commit suicide and Matt Dillon “shot “at least  one person, in the opening  sequence, a  week for 20 television  seasons , 635 episodes . 

www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/03/us-ke...

blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_...

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2011 - 5:17PM #2
REteach

I've often wondered why it is OK for us to watch hundreds if not thousands of murders on TV, but a brief glimpse of a nipple gives us conniptions. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2011 - 5:36PM #3
Fodaoson

Jun 4, 2011 -- 5:17PM, REteach wrote:

I've often wondered why it is OK for us to watch hundreds if not thousands of murders on TV, but a brief glimpse of a nipple gives us conniptions. 

Because shooting stabbing choking require action and thought. The female nipple stirs a instinctive sexual thought in most male. It is there like a bell to Pavlov’s dogs, only not learned.   And the murders on TV and in movies are just acting  and we the victim  in another movie or show next month or the month before when he was killed.   I can remember before puberty finding a breast feeding to be fascinating and the sight of a breast something enjoyable enough to still remember.  After puberty and for fifty years a female breast and nipple activated an automatic anatomical male response.  Murders  and killing on TV are still just acting. 

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2011 - 11:34PM #4
Roodog

Jun 4, 2011 -- 3:26PM, Fodaoson wrote:

Dr ”death” Kevorkian has died. And James  “ Marshall Matt Dillon” also has died.   Kevorkian helped people commit suicide and Matt Dillon “shot “at least  one person, in the opening  sequence, a  week for 20 television  seasons , 635 episodes . 

www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/03/us-ke...

blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_...

Using Kavorkian's machine was assisted suicide,

So was drawing down on Matt Dillon.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2011 - 9:51AM #5
TPaine

Methinks it's because the United States (for the most part) is still living in the Victorian era. A perfect example of this 19th century attitude is the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction" during the Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show after which the Federal Communications Commission attempted to fine CBS (which had no idea that the malfunction would happen) $550,000. The fine was eventually overturned. Some states; Hawaii, Maine, New York, Ohio, and Texas allow women to sunbathe top free, as do several cities, beaches, and events such as Boulder, Colorado; Eugene, Oregon; Portland, Oregon; Ashland, Oregon; Oregon Country Fair; Lucy Vincent beach in Chilmark on Martha's Vineyard; South Beach, Miami Beach, Florida Key West, Florida (Fantasy Fest); New Orleans, Louisiana (Mardi Gras); and Washington, D.C. However, it is possible that some police officers may still arrest women who do so for disturbing the peace. Link

I consider laws requiring women, but not men, to wear tops blatantly discriminatory.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2011 - 10:21AM #6
Roodog

Jun 5, 2011 -- 9:51AM, TPaine wrote:

Methinks it's because the United States (for the most part) is still living in the Victorian era. A perfect example of this 19th century attitude is the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction" during the Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show after which the Federal Communications Commission attempted to fine CBS (which had no idea that the malfunction would happen) $550,000. The fine was eventually overturned. Some states; Hawaii, Maine, New York, Ohio, and Texas allow women to sunbathe top free, as do several cities, beaches, and events such as Boulder, Colorado; Eugene, Oregon; Portland, Oregon; Ashland, Oregon; Oregon Country Fair; Lucy Vincent beach in Chilmark on Martha's Vineyard; South Beach, Miami Beach, Florida Key West, Florida (Fantasy Fest); New Orleans, Louisiana (Mardi Gras); and Washington, D.C. However, it is possible that some police officers may still arrest women who do so for disturbing the peace. Link

I consider laws requiring women, but not men, to wear tops blatantly discriminatory.

Yeah,

A bare bosom is sexier and better looking than some old hairy chest......

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2011 - 11:52AM #7
mytmouse57

Because our society doesn't handle sex or death very well.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2011 - 12:04PM #8
Erey

I don't know what is so hard about this for everyone.  Nipples don't bother me as a general rule.  But having a man rip off your blouse to expose a nipple as a sexual act of aggression does.  And it should bother most people and is entirely unsuited to prime time television. 

nudity is one thing, playing out sexual aggression where a man rips off a woman's clothes is another. 

That and it was so very staged, no innocent opps there

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2011 - 12:12PM #9
mytmouse57

Jun 5, 2011 -- 12:04PM, Erey wrote:

I don't know what is so hard about this for everyone.  Nipples don't bother me as a general rule.  But having a man rip off your blouse to expose a nipple as a sexual act of aggression does.  And it should bother most people and is entirely unsuited to prime time television. 

nudity is one thing, playing out sexual aggression where a man rips off a woman's clothes is another. 

When people find something frightening or mysterious, they tend to wallow in gratitious depictions of it.

Hence, much of our popular media have a lot of killing and raunchy fornication in them.

Like I said, our society doen't handle sex and death very well.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2011 - 12:20PM #10
TPaine

Jun 5, 2011 -- 12:04PM, Erey wrote:

Actually, I agree with you that what happened should be considered sexual aggression and is unsuited for prime time television. My point was that CBS and the NFL had no knowledge that Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake were planning to do it (as Jackson admitted Link), and therefore the fine that the FCC tried to impose on CBS was unjustified. Such things can happen on live TV, and are out of the control of the network broadcasting it.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook