Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
3 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2011 - 1:00PM #11
Merope

Kevorkian did a great deal to bring the issue of assisted suicide to the public and into our mainstream conversation.  I commend him for that, and I'm sad at his passing.  May he rest in peace.

His methods of public awareness were admittedly outre and sometimes quite shocking.  But his patients' lives of constant unbearable pain and futures dominated by loss of bodily function and control are shocking.  Perhaps he chose the only way folks would listen to his message - a kind of tabloid-y publicity way.

I always thought of him as a prophet:  Bizarre in his publicity techniques, yet solid in his message and clear in his vision.  I also thought of him as a martyr in an honorable cause.  

I hope he will be remembered for his message and his vision rather than for the public medium in which he conveyed his message. 

Judge Thomas Jackson, who presided over Kevorkian's first murder trial in 1994, expressed sorrow at Kevorkian's passing.  Judge Jackson noted that the 1994 case was brought under "a badly written law" aimed at Kevorkian, but that he tried to give him "the best trial possible".   Judge Jackson's (and others') comments are here.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2011 - 1:51PM #12
IDBC

Howdy

I am old enough to have watched Marshall Dillion "draw down" on someone who was not shown.  I probably watched most of the 635 shows.  While I may have "pretended" to be Marshall Matt Dillion and "pretended" to shoot someone  I have never actually done so.   Marshall Dillon never drew down or shot anyone who didn't deserve it.  

As to Jack and assisted suicide I am "undecided".   I see good arguements on both sides of the question. 

Have A Thinking Day May Reason Guide You

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2011 - 2:32PM #13
mytmouse57

IDBC,

I'm also undecided on the issue. The implications of trying to control death -- as with any human effort to control or "own" natrual processes and nature -- are troubling.

But then again, who knows what any of us would desire if we were put in those circumstances. And, can we really blame people facing such agony for making that decision?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2011 - 5:44PM #14
Ebon

Jun 4, 2011 -- 5:17PM, REteach wrote:

I've often wondered why it is OK for us to watch hundreds if not thousands of murders on TV, but a brief glimpse of a nipple gives us conniptions.

Because the American public's attitude to sex is completely f'ing deranged.

Jun 5, 2011 -- 2:32PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

But then again, who knows what  any of us would desire if we were put in those circumstances. And,  can we really blame people facing such agony for making that decision?

I have a "living will". I'm sure many people here do as well. Isn't that the same thing?

I think Kevorkian was both a boon and a detriment to his cause. While he garnered a lot of attention to the euthanasia movement, his more tabloid actions also prevented it being taken very seriously and so, prevented the mature public discussion which both our societies need to have on the subject.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2011 - 5:46PM #15
Yavanna

Jun 5, 2011 -- 5:44PM, Ebon wrote:

Jun 4, 2011 -- 5:17PM, REteach wrote:

I've often wondered why it is OK for us to watch hundreds if not thousands of murders on TV, but a brief glimpse of a nipple gives us conniptions.

Because the American public's attitude to sex is completely f'ing deranged.

+1

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel