Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 11:37AM #1
writingal1

There are a lot of thoughtful people posting here so I thought I'd ask for your ideas, opinions etc on this--

You know I live in the city where the shootings of Gabrielle Giffords and a number of other people occurred in January. You know that six people died--in addition to a number of people being wounded.

And that one of the dead includes a nine year old girl named Christine Taylor Greene.

It is very sad that this happened. Her family is devastated as is the neighbor who took her to the event because the girl had shown interest in politics.

And I understand the need for communal grieving of all kinds including memorials, services etc.

But--I am starting to get uncomfortable hearing about one thing after anither being named for the girl--like the park that was re-dedicated the other week--to her. And recently a large statue of an angel was erected in a softball park and dedicated to her too.

I'm not sure just why this makes me uncomfortable. I am certainly not made uncomfortable by the many different forms of grieving and healing that can occur. I am a trained Victim Witness Advocate and have worked with people who have been victims and witnesses of brutal life-altering crimes and accidents etc.

But somehow this just...bothers me.

Any thoughts on this?

I appreciate any feedback on this.

Host Note: Added link.  Hot Topic Zone OP need a current news link.

9/11 artifacts to form angel in girl's memory

Moderated by Stardove on Apr 01, 2011 - 10:34PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 11:41AM #2
Girlchristian

Wgal, when I'm in that situation I sometimes do some free writing to get down to the root cause for my being uncomfortable or do the "rapid fire question" model to see what it is.

That said, is it maybe because you feel that so much focus is on the little girl and not enough on the other victims?

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 11:46AM #3
Ken

Apr 1, 2011 -- 11:37AM, writingal1 wrote:

But--I am starting to get uncomfortable hearing about one thing after another being named for the girl--like the park that was re-dedicated the other week-- to her. And recently a large statue of an angel was erected in a softball park and dedicated to her too.

I'm not sure just why this makes me uncomfortable.

Possibly because mourning her death has become a fad, and there's always something cheap and tawdry about fads.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 11:48AM #4
writingal1

It may be true that the emphasis seems to be mostly on her and not the other victims.

We hear a lot here about Gabby Giffords--almost daily reports from her docs and/or her husband and/or her staff etc. And we hear a lot about these different memorials etc for Chrtistine. But not much about the other victims--except for the ones on Gabby's staff most of whom are back at work--though not all are.

In thinking about this after writing it out--it seems to me that the girl is being made into something she probably was not--some sort of superhuman being who was perfect and yes an angel.

I have been through grieiving for loved ones and undertand that tendency to idealize the dead--but this seems to be just too much-for an entire community to engage in.

I don't know but it makes me uncomfortable and then I am uncomfortable about being made uncomfortable....

And just to put this into mroe context--we hear almost daily about the ins and outs of the legal issues and manuevering surrounding the shooter.

And also there have been several NPOs formed--like "Tucson Together" that are working on these various memorials etc. We hear about those activities a lot too in ads and "promos" for the events.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 11:58AM #5
Girlchristian

Apr 1, 2011 -- 11:48AM, writingal1 wrote:

In thinking about this after writing it out--it seems to me that the girl is being made into something she probably was not--some sort of superhuman being who was perfect and yes an angel. 

This tends to happen when it's a child that dies simply because they haven't had enough time to be anything other than an innocent child and will never get to live a life and become whoever they were going to be as an adult.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 11:59AM #6
writingal1

Ken--hi. While I disagree to some extent with the word you chose--"fad"--I certainly understand what you mean and I think you've put your finger on something important.

IMO there is a definite need for grieving communally--but at the same time there is almost an unspoken pressure to grieve communally and publicly like through the memorial services and events etc.

On the other hand there is a lot of much-needed fundraising for the victims/families going on which I agree with.

I don't think this is a black and white situation and my reaction is certainly perplexing in some ways.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 12:13PM #7
allthegoodnamesweretaken

I agree with Ken in the use of the term "fad".  Right now, many people are morning her.  In 10 years, will anyone but her partents remember her?  Will anyone but her partents remember that they re-named the park to memorialize her?  Or will they just have another victim of a more recent tragedy that they can rename things for?  Will they then just etch off her name, and put the name of someone else in? 

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 12:26PM #8
mountain_man

Apr 1, 2011 -- 11:37AM, writingal1 wrote:

...Any thoughts on this?

It makes people feel good and then there is the dark side; politics. Many of those dedicating these parks and such are doing so for political gains.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 12:26PM #9
teilhard

After JFK was murdered, they changed "Cape Canaveral" to "Cape Kennedy" ... and Years later changed it back again ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 12:38PM #10
writingal1

These are typical even normal aspects of grieving though--memorializing the one who has been lost.

People sometimes create "shrines" in their homes to their lost loved one--a table with photos and perhaps some of the loved one's items. Sometimes people wear an article of clothing of the loved one.

Or a piece of jewelry like a ring.

In this case there's even been some memorializing of Gabby Giffords who of course is not dead--just out of action for now.

And I do know that a lot of this behavior is an attempt to 'make sense" of the events-even to create the feeling of having some control over what has happened by shaping its long lasting effects on the community and personally.

I really don't see it as being very political in intent.
That's not the feeling I get being around it in the community on a daily basis.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook