Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
4 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2010 - 1:04AM #1
Comradespirit

We as eternal spiritual beings live under the constant fear of death, of losing our life. This is incredibly sad because we are in fact life and we are immortal by constituion.

Pyschologists generally tell us that to overcome an irrational fear that is harming our lives one has to learn  to face that fear straight on.

No one can be in a state of joy while experiencing such a fear.

Time to look death straight in it's vacuumus face and have a hearty life at the very thought of it being a reality.

There is no boogeyman.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2010 - 6:12AM #2
Comradespirit

To become free from the misconception of death it is necessary to come to the proper conception of ouselves. Afterall it is obvious that the physical body does indeed disolve away in time. So if we are the material body then death is a fact.

The question then is are we the material body or not? In an attempt to search out the answer within ourselves we can consider the following observation.

The body is constantly changing. But superfically it looks and feels so much like it did the day before that we don't give it a second thought. But if we look back at the different stages of growth the body has gone through we may be startled at what we see, or don't see.

For instance where is the 16 year old youthful body that was supposedly me at the time. I may have a picture that body taken at that age but it is so different then the body I have now at 58.  Which one is the real me? Or are they both illusory?

In fact that 16 year old form has long since died and gone away. Yet I have not died. I am still conscious of myself as a  individual being. Science tells us that not even one atom from that 16 year old body is still present in the present 58 year old one and when I look back on this 58 year old one from the body at 68 years I will see that the 58 year old form has also died away in a similar way. I will however still be there conscious of this whole phenomenon.

This proves that I am different from the phenomenon of changing matter. I am in fact the one constant in this ever changing world of matter. This shows quite clearly that I am something different from matter and not subject to the laws of death.

This indeed is most wonderful news IMO. We are all immortable. Only the body is born and dies.

For the soul there is never birth nor death. Nor, having once been, does he ever cease to be. He is unborn, eternal, ever-existing, undying and primeval. He is not slain when the body is slain. -Bhagavad-gita 2.20

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 3:35AM #3
Comradespirit

The only death there is consists of soul's forgetting their position as eternal living beings and considering themselves mortal and subject to annihilation. Which is of course an illusion.

Jesus said,"Let the dead bury the dead."

God is eternal, ever existing. We are parts of God. Could we, as parts of God,  possibly be subjected to non-existence?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 2:00PM #4
Juli

I believe that death is only for the physical body itself.  Our spirit and soul lives on eternally after our physical body dies and this is what gives me hope that someday I will be reunited with my mother once again. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 8:09PM #5
Comradespirit

Hi Juli,

I agree only the physical form is subject to so-called death. Yes it is very possible you will see the soul that played the part of your mother in this life after you transistion to the next realm. I have heard that relatives often help in the transition process itself. You both may even reincarnate together in a future life's drama where you are the mother and she the child or as sisters. There are many possibilities.

Since we have been on this wheel of birth and death for so many countless lifetimes we are always getting new mothers. Who can say how many we have had. Of course we are always very attached to the latest one.

I believe as spiritsoul our first goal should be to reunite with our  real Eternal Parent Who is the true source of our being.

What do you think?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2010 - 12:40PM #6
Comradespirit

Hi juli and others,

There is so much unnecessary grief felt upon the departing of friends and loved ones from this world.

Here Plato recounts the words of Socrates who upon having been sentenced to physical death grievs for his friend and student Crito because he perceives Crito has not understood his teaching that there is no death or necessity to grieve. Socrates new full well that death is an illusion.

The Death of Socrates, from Plato's  Phaedo

Then he turned to us, and added with a smile: "I cannot make Crito believe that I am the same Socrates who has been talking and conducting the argument; he fancies that I am the other Socrates whom he will soon see, a dead body--and he asks, How shall he bury me? And though I have spoken many words in the endeavor to show that when I have drunk the poison I shall leave you and go to the joys of the blessed--these words of mine, with which I was comforting you and myself, have had, as I perceive, no effect upon Crito. And therefore I want you to be surety for me to him how, as at the trial he was surety to the judges for me: but let the promise be of another sort; for he was surety for me to the judges that I would remain, and you must be my surety to him that I shall not remain, but go away and depart; and then he will suffer less at my death, and not be grieved when he sees my body being burned or buried. I would not have him sorrow at my hard lot, or say at the burial, Thus we lay out Socrates, or Thus we follow him to the grave or bury him; for false words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil. Be of good cheer then, my dear Crito, and say that you are burying my body only, and do with that whatever is usual, and what you think best."

-------------------

"Oh death, where is thy sting!"

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2010 - 1:28PM #7
Passionatereason

Jan 30, 2010 -- 1:04AM, Comradespirit wrote:

We as eternal spiritual beings live under the constant fear of death, of losing our life. This is incredibly sad because we are in fact life and we are immortal by constituion.

Pyschologists generally tell us that to overcome an irrational fear that is harming our lives one has to learn  to face that fear straight on.

No one can be in a state of joy while experiencing such a fear.

Time to look death straight in it's vacuumus face and have a hearty life at the very thought of it being a reality.

There is no boogeyman.

And to this I can agree completely. But must one believe in karma, or reincarnation to agree with your statement? NO.

One need only understand that energy and mass cannot be created out of nothing; and neither will disappear into nothing.  Therefore, it is rather easy for me to understand that the 'energy' and 'mass' that is my being, was, is, and will be always there.

I need not believe in heaven, hell, or reincarnation to understand this.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2010 - 1:54PM #8
Comradespirit

But then you assume I am speaking of mere conservation of energy which I am not. You are free to believe whatever you like.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2010 - 8:41PM #9
Passionatereason

Feb 15, 2010 -- 1:54PM, Comradespirit wrote:

...You are free to believe whatever you like.

As are we all, you included.

You say 'death is a myth', and yet you also say...

"To become free from the misconception of death it is necessary to come to the proper conception of ouselves. Afterall it is obvious that the physical body does indeed disolve away in time. So if we are the material body then death is a fact."

Quite the "word game" you've got going here yourself.

Trust me when I tell you - I have no misconception, for I know the body dies - and I do not fear this fact.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2010 - 11:08PM #10
Comradespirit

"...I would not have him sorrow at my hard lot, or say at the burial, Thus we lay out Socrates, or Thus we follow him to the grave or bury him; for false words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil. Be of good cheer then, my dear Crito, and say that you are burying my body only, and do with that whatever is usual, and what you think best."

A very enlightened way to approach death. Socrates before death was exhorting his students to share in this enlightened understanding of death and they were save for Crito. And so it must be for our friends and loved ones who although perhaps not sharing in the pre-death enlightenment of Socrates certainly come to the same understand a moment after their final moments in the physical form. We often hear accounts of how they hover around those mourning for them and try to ease their pain by making their presence known hoping to convince those they have left on earth that there is no need to grieve for death is no at all what it often appears to be.

" The wise lament neither for the living or the dead." Bhagavad-gita

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook