Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View "Anniversary Reactions" at Easter
9 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2009 - 4:34PM #1
swinter5

In psychiatric terms, "Anniversary Reactions" are emotional, physical or spiritual "feelings" that are related to traumatic incidents or celebrations that occur yearly AFTER such incidents have passed.

My father died at Easter time in 1969.  I married my first, late, husband at Easter time in 1984.  Especially when there are conflicting emotions connected to a similar date, it becomes difficult to separate the two reactions.

I usually spend an inordinate amount of time reflecting on the death of my Dad. I was at home alone with him when he suffered a massive, sudden, heart attack.  I was 21, but a VERY sheltered 21.  I called Rescue, but it seemed like forever before they got there.  When I got to the ER, they didn't even take him out of the ambulance.  I had friends call my Mom (who was away at a meeting), and we met in the ER.  My pastor had also been called (we were very close), and we proceeded to go home.  As I mentioned, I was "fragile;" had just gotten out of 5 months in psychiatric hospitals for a full-blown manic episode.  It seemed people were more worried about ME than my Dad...

We flew the body to VA from IL for burial.  We stayed with my Aunt, and that Sunday was Easter.  I went alone to church - it just seemed the right thing to do.  I will never forget how blessed I felt in His presence.  All fear of death subsided.

When I married my husband, I didn't even realize it was Easter weekend.  My Mom had done a superb job of planning and executing the wedding. Everything turned out beautifully, and the following Sunday, we all went to Church, with me as the new "Mrs. Compton!"  What JOY!!

Five years later, my husband was dead, of a massive, sudden, heart attack at 35.  Can you see the "mixed emotions" coming into play?  To this day, I get panic attacks and am anxious around Easter, primarily as a result of "Anniversary Reactions."

Does anybody else experience these "Reactions?"  I do talk with my therapist about them, but - I have to go through them to come out the other side.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2009 - 1:41AM #2
NothingButLove

I truly don't have much to add, and am only posting as some comfort that there are actually one or two folks left on bnet. I have lost 3 members of my family, and only vaguely know their dates of passing. But then I get feedback on how they are doing on the otherside, so I guess their date of passing does not mean anything to me. I know my sister is quite different, more like you. She knows the dates, and tells me. She knows nothing about life after death, and I am not sure she thinks about it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 22, 2009 - 3:49AM #3
Boston

Its very natural of a human being to think in this manner.

My first marriage was on 10th date, but it did not work and we had to part ways. So whenever there is 10 date involved in my daily course of life, my mind always has to ping me on it...

----

Obituaries

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook