Switch to Forum Live View Biblical example of life after death
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2008 - 9:09AM #1
heldbygrace
We know that our physical bodies perish upon death, but the Bible teaches that the soul and spirit of man do not cease to exist but are given some kind of form for eternal existence.  Somewhere in scripture, I can't remember where, it says that our souls are eternal.  Jesus taught what happens to the soul in the story of Lazarus, a begger, and the rich man (Luke 16).  Both died.  Angels came and carried Lazarus to Abraham's bosom (a reference to Paradise - Luke 23:43), while the rich man was brought to Hades.  Lazarus was comforted while the rich man was tormented in the flames, begging for a drop of water. Jesus said that the state of each was permanent; the begger could not pass over to where the rich man was, nor could the rich man come over to Lazarus.  The Apostle Paul teaches that upon death, the righteous go to be with the Lord while the unrighteous are held under punishment for the day of judgment.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2009 - 6:29AM #2
Jolie07

I do agree that soul remain eternal after death as there are many examples of rebirth in our society with proofs. Sympathy Poems

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2009 - 7:27PM #3
Darkking

Eccl.9:5,6 "For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they hve no further reward, and even the memory of them is forgotten.  Their love, their hate and their jealousy have long since vanished; never again will they have a partin anything that happens under the sun."

Matt.7:13,14 "Enter through the narrow gate.  For wide is the gate and broad the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.  But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

The scripture Luke 16:19-31 that you use does not describe life after death.  If it did it would contradict other parts of the Bible. "The dead know nothing"  Jesus said few find the road that leads to life.  Not everyone receives everlasting life.  If people actually went to a place to be tortured, that would mean they receive everlasting life, cause they would be able to feel.  The dead cannot feel.  It is an illustration, not literal.  The rich man represents the Pharisees.  The beggar, Lazarus, represents the Jew who repented and became followers of the Christ.  Their death symbolize a change of circumstances.  The beggar(common Jew that became a follower of Jesus) came into favor by God, while the Pharisees who were formerly favored now becoming rejected by God, and being tormented by the messages of the ones who they hated.  (Acts5:33; 7:54)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2009 - 9:30AM #4
humbly.search.for.truth

Nov 23, 2009 -- 7:27PM, Darkking wrote:

Eccl.9:5,6 "For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they hve no further reward, and even the memory of them is forgotten.  Their love, their hate and their jealousy have long since vanished; never again will they have a partin anything that happens under the sun."

Matt.7:13,14 "Enter through the narrow gate.  For wide is the gate and broad the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.  But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

The scripture Luke 16:19-31 that you use does not describe life after death.  If it did it would contradict other parts of the Bible. "The dead know nothing"  Jesus said few find the road that leads to life.  Not everyone receives everlasting life.  If people actually went to a place to be tortured, that would mean they receive everlasting life, cause they would be able to feel.  The dead cannot feel.  It is an illustration, not literal.  The rich man represents the Pharisees.  The beggar, Lazarus, represents the Jew who repented and became followers of the Christ.  Their death symbolize a change of circumstances.  The beggar(common Jew that became a follower of Jesus) came into favor by God, while the Pharisees who were formerly favored now becoming rejected by God, and being tormented by the messages of the ones who they hated.  (Acts5:33; 7:54)

Good points, Darkking!

Also, the account of Lazarus sheds more light on death at John chapter 11.  There, Lazarus (Jesus' close friend) has died.  Jesus there likened his condition to sleep.  He then had to clarify what he meant to others by saying, "Lazarus has died."  By the time that Jesus heard word of his death and crossed the Jordan river to where Lazarus, Mary, Martha and others were, he had been dead for four days!  They said, "by now he must smell because it has been four days."  He wasn't newly deceased, he was dead and decomposing.  However, Jesus miraculously brought Lazarus back to life to live again with his friends and family...on earth.

Most religions teach that immediately people go to heaven upon death, is it the case here?  Questions to ask rhetorically are: Where was Lazarus for the four days?  If he was in heaven, why didn't Lazarus come back to life and talk about his four days in heaven?  Why would Jesus resurrect Lazarus, bring him back to life on earth, which is a much harder life?  Why isn't there a "Gospel of Lazarus" for us to read about what heaven is like from a human standpoint.  Such an account would be one of the main highlights of the bible.  

Could it be that the Bible is telling the truth when it says that the dead "know nothing" and are "sleeping" in the grave?  When Adam died, he went back to the "dust" of the earth.  No mention of Adam roasting in a literal hellfire.  He simply died and went back to the earth from which he was created.  Interestingly, the basic compounds found in the human body are also found in the earth.  

(Gen 2:7) And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul [nephesh]. (KJV)

But, there IS hope for the dead!

(Rev 20:14) And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.(KJV).

Most religions teach that the "lake of fire" is symbolic for "hellfire" when in reality, the lake of fire is symbolic of total destruction.  In Revelation 20:14 above, death and hell were both thrown into the lake of fire.  Hell cannot be thrown into hell.  It is symbolizing a time when death will be no more.  Good news for humankind!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 5:00PM #5
Kindred322

Nov 23, 2009 -- 7:27PM, Darkking wrote:

Forgive my ignorance but I have been thinking about the concept of hell and eternal punishment. Is Hell a real place or is it a spiritual condition or is it merely meant to be separate from God?

I would hope that a loving, forgiving, gracious God would not send someone to eternal hell for not "getting it" in this blink of time we call life. I mean, if eternity is infinite why base judgment on such a short seg. of time as 65, 75, or 85 years?

Would God not favor an approach based on spiritual development that gradually allows for growth towards himself, even after death?

The Christian view seems so black/white and life so full of shades of grey. I feel very confused about this.

WOuld you email me a response so I canbe sure to get it?

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 05, 2010 - 9:57AM #6
Darkking

IN the beginning, God told Adam that if he ate from the tree of knowledge that he would positively die.  Satan is the one who said that they would not die.  Who are you going t believe?  God?  Or Satan?  We either die and cease to exist, or we actually do not die and live on somewhere else.  Satan is a liar!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 09, 2010 - 1:00PM #7
Comradespirit

Kindred322 wrote:
"Forgive my ignorance but I have been thinking about the concept of hell and eternal punishment. Is Hell a real place or is it a spiritual condition or is it merely meant to be separate from God?

Hi Kindred,

From my point of view(as a reincarnationist) hell is all of the options you provided above.  When we separate ourselves from God consciousness we are then considered spiritually dead. This mentality then is the cause of those conditions that we are born under in the material world. That could be on a heavenly planet or a hellish one. It could also make the difference if we were born into a culture that was hellish in nature or more peacefull. A child born in an African village that was raided by a neighboring tribe and had it's arms chopped of with a machette would certainly qualify as having been born into a real hell, but we must know that such conditions are brought down upon us by our past karma's and not arbitarily imposed on us by a loving God.

I would hope that a loving, forgiving, gracious God would not send someone to eternal hell for not "getting it" in this blink of time we call life. I mean, if eternity is infinite why base judgment on such a short seg. of time as 65, 75, or 85 years?

Certainly no loving God could do such a horrnedous thing otherwise there would be no meaning to the word loving. No ordinary human would even be that cruel.

The Bible even says we reap what we sow, 85 years of causing suffering to others means we have earned 85 years of suffering for ourselves in the future.

Would God not favor an approach based on spiritual development that gradually allows for growth towards himself, even after death?

Absolutely! I know you understand full well the reality and are kindly raising the point to try and make people question the absurdity of common "Christian" teaching on the issue.

The Christian view seems so black/white and life so full of shades of grey. I feel very confused about this."

What thinking person could fail to be confused about such flawed and contradictory teaching.

CS

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 14, 2010 - 1:26PM #8
Newsaint

May 5, 2010 -- 9:57AM, Darkking wrote:

IN the beginning, God told Adam that if he ate from the tree of knowledge that he would positively die.  Satan is the one who said that they would not die.  Who are you going t believe?  God?  Or Satan?  We either die and cease to exist, or we actually do not die and live on somewhere else.  Satan is a liar!

Satan is a symbolic name for our sins of the flesh. The tree of good and evil are the thoughts from God that are twisted, or deceived by Satan. The symbolic name for these deceived thoughts is the beast.

The thoughts that God told Adam that he could freely think with was from the tree of life, which are thoughts that come from the Word, who is Jesus Christ. When Adam and Eve started thinking with thoughts of deception, they were sinning. God tried to get their attention and ask for forgiveness but they continued to disobey God and keep sinning. When they children, they passed on these genetic sins to them and the whole world became full of sinners after that.

In Genesis one you will see that we were all created in God's image. God is invisible thoughts and where all thoughts originated. This is why he's also called understanding of all things. We were created to last for eternity but we need a physical body to experience life. God told Adam and Eve that they were dust and to dust they shall return. God was only talking about their formed flesh that God put their created image, called the heart, mind and soul of a man, in it this flesh so they could experience living in this age.

This age is only an age of judgment and the next age is the real world God wanted us all to live in. This age is coming to an end very soon and then the earth's crust will melt with hot lava from under the crust. The earth needs more land for us to live on so this lava will make the new crust level without any mountains or oceans. This will make enough room for all of God's creation to get new bodies and live for eternity. We haven't begun to live the way we're supposed to live. As soon as you die, it will seem like seconds before you wake up again in a new body.

God bless you,

Brad

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 16, 2010 - 7:36PM #9
williejhonlo

I believe the story of the prodical son also teaches about life on a higher level then what we experience here. What i get from the story is that we are wasting our time in this material world and that  one day ( or lifetime )we realize the futility of material existence and desire to return home. This to me implies that our true home is not of this material world. Since we come from the spiritual world and have just made a bad decision by wasting our Fathers gifts ( which is what i get from the story ) means to me that we are qualified to exist on the level of eternity. Since we come from eternity we must be eternal. Ever notice the strong emphasis on " Father" in the story. Since we have a relationship with God how can we have a temporary existence.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook