Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The afterlife. Is it desirable?
7 years ago  ::  May 28, 2008 - 5:13PM #1
Tchernobog
Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't the the most common concept of an afterlife heaven?  In heaven all the good and decent people go to one big community and no evil exists.  While this sounds great at first, is this not actually hell?  You are in heaven for all eternity, what can you do to keep yourself entertained for all that time?  Exploration and commerce will last a long time to be sure, but eternity is endless.  I wonder would the Judeo-Christian God, which heaven is most often attributed to, allow for sex?  If not then entertainment would run out quicker.  If he did however, it seems to me that even the most pious of people would more closely resemble a cenobite, exploring the furthest reaches of sensation, than themselves after the first billion years. 

Some wish to go to heaven to meet with people they never could, people who died long before they were born.  I for one would love to speak with the founding fathers, some of the Roman Emperors, and Greek philosophers to name a few.  However, say before you die, you do something of great historical significance or create something that affects millions around the world positively.  Would you want to speak with people forever about what you did in life?  I imagine not.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 28, 2008 - 5:13PM #2
Tchernobog
Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't the the most common concept of an afterlife heaven?  In heaven all the good and decent people go to one big community and no evil exists.  While this sounds great at first, is this not actually hell?  You are in heaven for all eternity, what can you do to keep yourself entertained for all that time?  Exploration and commerce will last a long time to be sure, but eternity is endless.  I wonder would the Judeo-Christian God, which heaven is most often attributed to, allow for sex?  If not then entertainment would run out quicker.  If he did however, it seems to me that even the most pious of people would more closely resemble a cenobite, exploring the furthest reaches of sensation, than themselves after the first billion years. 

Some wish to go to heaven to meet with people they never could, people who died long before they were born.  I for one would love to speak with the founding fathers, some of the Roman Emperors, and Greek philosophers to name a few.  However, say before you die, you do something of great historical significance or create something that affects millions around the world positively.  Would you want to speak with people forever about what you did in life?  I imagine not.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 29, 2008 - 12:41AM #3
exploringinside
[QUOTE=Tchernobog;529290]Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't the the most common concept of an afterlife heaven?  In heaven all the good and decent people go to one big community and no evil exists.  While this sounds great at first, is this not actually hell?  You are in heaven for all eternity, what can you do to keep yourself entertained for all that time?  Exploration and commerce will last a long time to be sure, but eternity is endless.  I wonder would the Judeo-Christian God, which heaven is most often attributed to, allow for sex?  If not then entertainment would run out quicker.  If he did however, it seems to me that even the most pious of people would more closely resemble a cenobite, exploring the furthest reaches of sensation, than themselves after the first billion years. 

Some wish to go to heaven to meet with people they never could, people who died long before they were born.  I for one would love to speak with the founding fathers, some of the Roman Emperors, and Greek philosophers to name a few.  However, say before you die, you do something of great historical significance or create something that affects millions around the world positively.  Would you want to speak with people forever about what you did in life?  I imagine not.[/QUOTE]

Before the believers in Heaven find this post and answer all of your observations and premises with "well-intentioned information," I hope this response will be sensical to you.

The biological imperative of all living things is to live as long as is possible; even the gnat that will only live 3 days on average is busy living during its relatively short time alive. Biologist Elijah Wald identified "the gene plasm" as the driving force for life continuing but it is also misunderstood by most humans. The gene plasm literally discards a body that becomes too inefficient to sustain life. That same gene plasm drives the living organism to reproduce in sufficient numbers to sustain the species. Our virtual immortality is assured by the sucess of our gene plasm; we are at the end of an unbroken chain of lifethat stretches back to the first life on Earth.

Humans, being the complex creatures they are, are unsatisfied with being discarded by their gene plasm. Some of the most important research we have sustained (important in some people's minds) is the efforts to find means to enable the extension of our lifetimes, fighting against disease and disintegration. Many who did not know or did not find find such efforts to be fruitful enough still cling to the promise of a life after physical death. Whether or not they find, intellectually, merit or objections to your perceptions of the value or lack of value to a potential afterlife, it would be hard to turn one down if it did indeed exist.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 30, 2008 - 7:01PM #4
rosyred
As far as I am concerned we don't just stay there. We have loads of things still to learn, and when ready we come back here to do it all over again.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 31, 2008 - 10:45AM #5
spiritalk
[QUOTE=Tchernobog;529290]Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't the the most common concept of an afterlife heaven?  In heaven all the good and decent people go to one big community and no evil exists.  While this sounds great at first, is this not actually hell? 

You are in heaven for all eternity, what can you do to keep yourself entertained for all that time?  Exploration and commerce will last a long time to be sure, but eternity is endless.  I wonder would the Judeo-Christian God, which heaven is most often attributed to, allow for sex?  If not then entertainment would run out quicker.  If he did however, it seems to me that even the most pious of people would more closely resemble a cenobite, exploring the furthest reaches of sensation, than themselves after the first billion years. 

Some wish to go to heaven to meet with people they never could, people who died long before they were born.  I for one would love to speak with the founding fathers, some of the Roman Emperors, and Greek philosophers to name a few.  However, say before you die, you do something of great historical significance or create something that affects millions around the world positively.  Would you want to speak with people forever about what you did in life?  I imagine not.[/QUOTE]

J:  YES YOU ARE WRONG! This is the most limiting and limited concept imaginable!  Hence the further nonsense given.  Are you interested in a broader scope or merely reinforcing limited ideas?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2008 - 6:16AM #6
POC777
Where did death come from and where do you people go in the afterlife?

Spiritual death came into this world after Adam and Eve disobeyed God to not eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil(Gen 2:16-17). This type of death means separation from God spiritually! God told him when he'll eat of it will die, and that's what he did when he failed the test. Now why didn't they die the moment they disobeyed God? This wasn't physical death but spiritual. On the day, A & E messed up, the human race also died with them. We read in Romans 5:12 "Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin,and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned".

So Adam was the one who sinned when He disobeyed God's command and brought death upon every human. This is called physcial death. Physical death is when someone is clinically dead! Death reigned from the day Cain murderer his brother Abel to began to spread upon the human race. A & E didn't know what death was but as hundreds of years passed slowly he and Eve died. That's the reason we see suffering, crimes, diseases, decay and death in today's world.

Now people die in many ways without expecting it but that's the way life is. Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 3:2 "A time to be born and a time to die". Death is so unexpected because one day we're enjoying life and the next day we don't wake up. I was watching a show called "1000 ways to die". In the episode, I seen a man getting trapped in a freezer by his boss. The boss was not joking around he wanted revenage for the employee stealing beef out the back door and impreganting his daughter. As the man was in the freezer, he began to suffer from hyperthermia then going into shock.

As time passed, he gave up and layed on some boxes--Freeze dying! People die everyday and who knows when our appointment will come. For the Christian, they need to be prepared and live like is there last day on earth daily. Every person has an appointment with God, believer or non-believer on what or who they placed their faith upon. If they placed it upon themselves or anything else, God will not allow them into Heaven but will go to the intermediate Hell, to be in torment and remain in that place until the White Throne Judgment. If someone places the faith upon Christ's sacrifical death, yes.

This is called the judgment of faith! When a Christian dies, he or she is welcomed by those in Heaven and goes to be with Jesus Christ in an intermediate state or the intermediate Heaven. In 2 Peter 1:11 we read "for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our LORD and Savior Jesus Chirst" Now eternal death, is the lake of fire and is second death we read in Revelation 20:14; 21:8 and everyone who dies in their sins will go there in the future. Now the Christian will not go through this death because Jesus Christ told them they will never die(John 11:25-26) and they have "passed from death unto life", they already been judged--Jesus took their judgment upon the cross for their sin-debt.

Everyone who never trusted Jesus Christ for their salvation will experinece eternal death which involves eternal separation from God for all eternity. Man separated from God is worse than Hell itself! All good comes from God, all His goodness will not be in Hell only regret, memories, shame, torment and other things man can't comprehend about Hell. People get deceived thinking in Hell people will have some drinks and shoot some pool or anything else from man's imagination. Hell is God's wrath on man!

We read in John 3:36 "He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life,but the wrath of God abides on Him. God's wrath is upon everyone who hasn't been redeemed by Jesus blood! Many people say how could a God of love send people to Hell? They're mistaken because God doesn't send people to Hell but send themselves. He didn't create Hell for man but Satan and his angels for rebelling against Him. Man chooses to go to Hell because they refused the Gospel message and so be saved from going to that place.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2008 - 5:02PM #7
spiritalk
POC there is literature abounding that expands on the limitations of the Bible.  One more interpretation doesn't get it done.

Those that communicate and commune with spirit know better.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2008 - 7:33PM #8
POC777
spiritalk 
Level 8
Level 8   Join Date: Oct 2007

POC there is literature abounding that expands on the limitations of the Bible. One more interpretation doesn't get it done.

My response:

Mrs, there are many interpretations about death and the afterlife by man, but, the interpretations should not contradict the Bible or else is not from God.

My response:

You believe people speak to spirits? I think that's called a medium and something forbidden in the Bible--its a sin.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2008 - 7:33PM #9
POC777
spiritalk 
Level 8
Level 8   Join Date: Oct 2007

POC there is literature abounding that expands on the limitations of the Bible. One more interpretation doesn't get it done.

My response:

Mrs, there are many interpretations about death and the afterlife by man, but, the interpretations should not contradict the Bible or else is not from God.

My response:

You believe people speak to spirits? I think that's called a medium and something forbidden in the Bible--its a sin.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2008 - 3:12PM #10
Tchernobog
[QUOTE=spiritalk;534973]J:  YES YOU ARE WRONG! This is the most limiting and limited concept imaginable!  Hence the further nonsense given.  Are you interested in a broader scope or merely reinforcing limited ideas?[/QUOTE]

Enlighten me.  What is the most broad concept concerning the afterlife?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook