Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

10 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 8:41PM #1
emi19
My father passed roughly a year ago, and although we had been expecting it for a while it was still a hard time. My dad was the kind of guy who could walk in a room and ten minutes later everyone would be rolling on the floor laughing, and that's how I wanted to remember him. I know that when someone dies you should be sad, but I don't think that means everytime you think of them it has to make you burst into tears. I thought I would start a thread about how to remember your loved one with a smile. I hope that everyone will add something they do or did while they were grieving that will help others to smile and think of thier loved one in happiness.

At my dad's funeral we had this huge picture of him that we took home later. During different events we dress the picture up. During Christmas we give him a Santa hat and beard,at Easter we hide eggs in the picture, etc. It's something that makes us laugh, and something that my dad would have done if he could.
Also we tell when I was a boy stories about my dad. Like how he had to walk to school up hill both ways in the snow while fighting off rabid bears with his spiral notebook. Every year it gets more and more ridiculous, and it reminds me of the crazy sense of humor my dad used to have.

So what are your stories/traditions?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2008 - 3:44PM #2
boodlebear
Hi. When I first read your post and your idea, my mother was on the brink of crossing over. Now that she has, for her going away party we will celebrate her life and probably have a food fight. She'd been known to start a few:D
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2008 - 7:08PM #3
Nic
Hi my name is Nic, I also lost my Mum last year.  It is one of the hardest things I have had to go through.  I still think of her with a smile and remember how warm and funny she could be and I know that she is still around me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2008 - 1:35PM #4
vipfae
I have to write something here because the man I lost was such a jovial & happy person. I hate that I cry. I hate this misery. I want to be like he was , how he made all those around him smile & laugh.I look at his pictures when he was healthy & laughing. I force my mind away from the memories of his last months in pain & agony.I long to be happy & lighthearded again as it always was with him. Yet it is impossible. Will it ever return, the fun, the joy of life, the every day pleasures? But how can it, without him along.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2008 - 6:39PM #5
Chandra-Shekar
I lost my wife to cancer in March 2005. Life has been quite a journey since then.

I have begun to blog about my journey since her transition and I invite you to join me at http://gayatrilover.wordpress.com/.

I am so sorry for all of your individual losses. It is never easy. I was her caregiver for four years and it changed me and my approach to life.

Blessings,
Chandra-Shekar
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2008 - 6:39PM #6
Chandra-Shekar
I lost my wife to cancer in March 2005. Life has been quite a journey since then.

I have begun to blog about my journey since her transition and I invite you to join me at http://gayatrilover.wordpress.com/.

I am so sorry for all of your individual losses. It is never easy. I was her caregiver for four years and it changed me and my approach to life.

Blessings,
Chandra-Shekar
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook