Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View burial rites/burial rights
7 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 8:04AM #1
boodlebear
My mother has chosen to be cremated. She will be cremated in her galabaya. That is her rite. She has the right to chose her internment. Not everyone wants to be "buried alive".
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 8:13AM #2
Sacrificialgoddess
Has somebody raised a stink about this, boodlebear?
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 3:27PM #3
boodlebear
[QUOTE=sacrificialgoddess;371859]Has somebody raised a stink about this, boodlebear?[/QUOTE]

Oh, no, dear. Though some folks do believe cremation is wrong, for others, even knowing they will be dead, it's the idea of being buried alive that's too distressing and my mother is one of them. Maybe people who fear the being buried alive were. Thanks for your concern. That was nice. boodlebear.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 6:50PM #4
NothingButLove

boodlebear wrote:

Oh, no, dear. Though some folks do believe cremation is wrong, for others, even knowing they will be dead, it's the idea of being buried alive that's too distressing and my mother is one of them. Maybe people who fear the being buried alive were. Thanks for your concern. That was nice. boodlebear.

Dear Boodlebear,

I plan on being cremated too. If you read "Letters from the Light" you will see a chapter there on how upset folks are on the other side, as they see their bodies disintegrate. They are like moths around a candle, can't keep away, and hate it. So its not for me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 8:20PM #5
boodlebear
I understand people's ashes are being added to artificial reefs. Someone might like to do that. I'm afraid of drowning. I'd rather freeze to death. At least right now I think that. Who knows, really. That was rhetorical.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2008 - 4:42PM #6
boodlebear
[QUOTE=The Tea Lady;374273]What I find hard to get my head around is when people take half the ashes and put it in one place and then another bit and put them somewhere else and so it goes on....I've heard the reasons why people do it, and I can sort of understand, but the mind boggles as to....who's got the arm or the leg....etc. etc....if you know what I mean.

I want to be cremated simply because it's the cheapest way to go and I hate cemeteries.  I want my ashes put into a lake near where I live, it's a lovely spot and very peaceful.[/QUOTE

Because we'll be missing our loved one we won't care if it is the arm, or the leg, etc etc etc.
Ashes by the lake is fine. But I won't mind a bit of my mum in my living room with me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2008 - 8:56PM #7
boodlebear
My sister and I spoke of having a type of wake for mum. We would take her ashes around to the various pubs she enjoyed visiting and everyone have one last drink with Barracuda. She'd like that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2008 - 8:56PM #8
boodlebear
My sister and I spoke of having a type of wake for mum. We would take her ashes around to the various pubs she enjoyed visiting and everyone have one last drink with Barracuda. She'd like that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2008 - 5:14PM #9
adamcro-magnon
The scattering of ashes, especially in diverse and sundry places can cause embarrassment.  A friend of a friend requested that his ashes be distributed in three places: the Languedoc (where he courted his wife), the Thames in London (where he lived) and thirdly in the garden of the bungalow where he grew up, somewhere in the middle of England.

The first two were accomplished without any hitch.  A noncholant stroll on some hillside in Provence with ashes gently strewn and scattered was idyllic.  A small handful of ashes taken by the wind on one of the bridges in London spanning the Thames caused no problems.  The last, however, necessitated a knock on the door and a request that a deceased, former occupant of the bungalow be allowed to have some of his ashes strewn in the garden.  This occasioned wild hysterics (of alarm and not laughter) and a threat of two Dobermans who would see off anybody who attempted such a morbid enterprise.  The husband was asked to ring the police and call out the dogs.  The poor wife was terribly upset at the request.

Adjacent to the bungalow was a small alleyway running the length of the back garden.  A very high fence hid the garden from the alleyway.  Clumps of the ashes were thrown over the fence, the dogs barked wildly and furiously and my friends ran away as fast as they could, the task accomplished.  They were, I think, wrong to do what they did do for the garden did not belong to them.

When my friend died he wanted a green burial, no tomb stones – a lovely woodland where the running deer, mischievous rabbits and bleating sheep, buzzing bees and butterflies served to paint that rural charm which he so much loved.  He did not want a coffin or rustic covering and was wrapped in a shroud (he was Muslim by birth) and the shroud went straight into the earth.  It is a most tranquil place, full of wildlife and flora.  He did not want a municipal cemetery on a wretched London bus route.

Adam Cro-Magnon
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2008 - 6:14PM #10
boodlebear
Gosh, I do hope it didn't sound as if we were going to leave her bits behind. We have a container. And we'd ask before we did anything in case people get wierded out. Which they might... Maybe not a good idea.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook