Page 9 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
3 years ago  ::  May 21, 2011 - 5:13PM #81
williejhonlo

Nam, is each constituent life in itself? Can you isolate it from the constituents after they have formed? Nam, there is no such thing as nothing, it is just a concept. The history of life says that life comes from life, no one has seen it come from chemicals.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2011 - 12:39AM #82
Namchuck

May 21, 2011 -- 5:13PM, williejhonlo wrote:

Nam, is each constituent life in itself?

No, they are not. Life, like the wetness of water, is an emergent property.

Can you isolate it from the constituents after they have formed?

No more than you can isolate the constituents of water and still find wetness. Again, these are emergent properties

Nam, there is no such thing as nothing, it is just a concept.

There is nothing, but as physics has found out, nothing is unstable and will soon become something.

The history of life says that life comes from life, no one has seen it come from chemicals.

The history of life says no such thing. In fact, it is now thoroughly understood just how easily life would likely emerge from the right combination of inorganic chemicals and catalysts. Science is on the very cusp of creating life. When it does so, what daft argument will you then adopt to bolster your favoured myth?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2011 - 12:07PM #83
williejhonlo

Nothingness is unstable? If it has a quality how is it nothing? can this emergence be demonstrated by lab test?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2011 - 4:26AM #84
Namchuck

Jun 10, 2011 -- 12:07PM, williejhonlo wrote:

Nothingness is unstable? If it has a quality how is it nothing? can this emergence be demonstrated by lab test?

You have to know a bit of physics, like the nonboundary scenario, even to start to grasp what Wilczek (a Noble laureate physicist) is talking about when he says that "nothing is unstable".

How would you define "nothing" without giving it a quality? 

I bet I don't hear back from you on this one! :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 9:25PM #85
williejhonlo

Does saying the word "nothingness" prove nothingness? Nothingness is just a concept, not a quality.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2011 - 11:50PM #86
Namchuck

Jul 7, 2011 -- 9:25PM, williejhonlo wrote:

Does saying the word "nothingness" prove nothingness? Nothingness is just a concept, not a quality.

Doesn't 'nothingness' have the quality of nothingness? Or is it something that has the quality of not having any qualities?

And 'nothingness' is no more or less a concept than, say, 'God'.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2011 - 11:00AM #87
williejhonlo

You ask, "doesn't nothingness have the quality of nothingness"? To me, a quality is something that is one-with something and different from it as well. In the case of nothingness, what's the difference factor?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2011 - 11:56PM #88
Namchuck

Jul 10, 2011 -- 11:00AM, williejhonlo wrote:

You ask, "doesn't nothingness have the quality of nothingness"? To me, a quality is something that is one-with something and different from it as well. In the case of nothingness, what's the difference factor?

That's only one definition of 'nothingness'.

The Buddhists, for instance, have an entirely different one, one that makes a great deal of sense to me. Physics has another one again.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2012 - 6:43AM #89
lensbazaar

Sep 18, 2008 -- 1:21PM, spiritalk wrote:

Perhaps you answered your own questions - the Bible is just not the best source for spiritually progressive ideas.

lensbazaar.com/index.php?route=account/l...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2012 - 9:28AM #90
jmmevolve

I have not posted in beliefnet in a long, long time.  But thank you for the advertisement, it reminded me to read from old friends and colleagues. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 9 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook