Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next
6 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2008 - 3:27PM #1
Solardust71
There seems to be existing contradictions on this subject.  I've read several books re the Spirit World and after-death communication.  In some cases people have stated with an unequivocal tone reincarnation is fact, while others have asserted it is a misconception. 

Which is it?  True for some souls not for others??     

Nothingbutlove, if you read this I’d be interested in hearing your take on this.  In another thread I read your post re Dr Irene Hickman who communicated a message from Spirit and said she mistakenly believed in reincarnation during life until her passing confirmed otherwise.  That triggered my curiousity... so ... thought I'd post to hear what others think.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

N.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2008 - 3:27PM #2
Solardust71
There seems to be existing contradictions on this subject.  I've read several books re the Spirit World and after-death communication.  In some cases people have stated with an unequivocal tone reincarnation is fact, while others have asserted it is a misconception. 

Which is it?  True for some souls not for others??     

Nothingbutlove, if you read this I’d be interested in hearing your take on this.  In another thread I read your post re Dr Irene Hickman who communicated a message from Spirit and said she mistakenly believed in reincarnation during life until her passing confirmed otherwise.  That triggered my curiousity... so ... thought I'd post to hear what others think.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

N.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2008 - 5:46PM #3
spiritalk
At this point I think we are going to have to be content to hear opposite viewpoints all the time.  Many confirm reincarnation while many spirit do not.  Perhaps personal choice is the best thought?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2008 - 10:43AM #4
Solardust71
[QUOTE=spiritalk;716862]At this point I think we are going to have to be content to hear opposite viewpoints all the time.  Many confirm reincarnation while many spirit do not.  Perhaps personal choice is the best thought?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply, spiritalk.  Personal choice is the most reasonable conclusion I can draw at this point...without direct knowledge one way or the other... although I'm leaning toward the concept as truth because how much can a soul learn in just one lifetime??   Makes sense that souls would make multiple "trips" so to speak, taking into consideration we have an "eternity" to explore different states of being.....  just my thoughts. ;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 11:09AM #5
JimRigas
[FONT='Courier New']Reincarnation is generally defined as a soul’s movement from a body that died to one that is just born.  Agreed?  But what is a soul?  I postulate that a soul consists at least of a person’s memory.  So if a soul survives death (reincarnated or not) it follows that memories survive outside the body.  Where?  In some kind of ethereal field.  The next question is where were these memories located before the body died?  Was it in that field, or inside the person’s head?  It would be reasonable to expect that they always existed in this field and were connected to the person’s body, or brain if you wish, in some manner that science has not discovered yet but may resemble something like a radio transmitter/receiver.  [/FONT]
[FONT='Courier New'][/FONT]
[FONT='Courier New']It follows that a person and his memories are physically separate.  However, there is no way to know if one’s memories are real or just hallucinations.  Therefore if you can access the memories of Marie Antoinette, say, you would think that you are a reincarnated Marie.[/FONT]
[FONT='Courier New']One problem with this logic is that it assumes that the memories of the dead do not change; or at least those memories that other living persons can access.  Or perhaps only those memories formed during a person’s life can be accessed by other living humans.  [/FONT]
[FONT='Courier New']A scientist cannot deduce any further than this.    [/FONT]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 1:22PM #6
Solardust71
>>So if a soul survives death (reincarnated or not) it follows that memories survive outside the body. Where? In some kind of ethereal field. The next question is where were these memories located before the body died? Was it in that field, or inside the person’s head? It would be reasonable to expect that they always existed in this field and were connected to the person’s body, or brain if you wish, in some manner that science has not discovered yet but may resemble something like a radio transmitter/receiver.<<

Jim,

Interesting ideas to ponder.  I relate to the notion of an ethereal field where memories are located, at the same time the memories are carried over to the next phase, realm, whatever you'd like...and retained by the soul who experienced those memories as an incarnated individual... if that makes sense...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 1:22PM #7
Solardust71
>>So if a soul survives death (reincarnated or not) it follows that memories survive outside the body. Where? In some kind of ethereal field. The next question is where were these memories located before the body died? Was it in that field, or inside the person’s head? It would be reasonable to expect that they always existed in this field and were connected to the person’s body, or brain if you wish, in some manner that science has not discovered yet but may resemble something like a radio transmitter/receiver.<<

Jim,

Interesting ideas to ponder.  I relate to the notion of an ethereal field where memories are located, at the same time the memories are carried over to the next phase, realm, whatever you'd like...and retained by the soul who experienced those memories as an incarnated individual... if that makes sense...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2008 - 1:29AM #8
Ladyofone
Has anyone ever read anything on the many years of research Dr. Ian Stevensen has done almost exclusively with children?  In some of the cases the new incarnate has identified and even had relationships with the family from their past life.  They even have birthmarks that resemble the wounds they suffered from their previous life.   I had never even thought about reincarnation at all until I read some of the conclusions of his studies.  I think of all the books I have now read on reincarnation his work is the most convincing.  That's just my take, I'm not sure what I believe, but it makes sense to me that we would have to keep evolving spiritually.  I am of the opinion that the soul and the spirit are two different things, and I'm not clear what it is that reincarnates, but the Bible says the spirit returns to God.  Any input????
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2008 - 10:50AM #9
JimRigas
From what I have read about his work, his stories relate to children "remembering" details about the lives of people who had recently died and who had lived at a relatively close location.  In all cases that he reported these memories disappeared by the age of ten.

In my book I used these findings to substantiate the position I stated above.  A packet of memories, just separated from a recently died person, has not recognized yet its newly independent status; at the same time a child whose memory retrieval mechanism has not been fully matured yet accesses these memories and confuses them as his own.  Eventually this comes to an end.

In all fairness, it has been also postulated in this forum that as the child grows up it learns that society does not accept reading dead people's memories so he stops doing it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2008 - 12:38PM #10
Solardust71
[QUOTE=Ladyofone;731008]Has anyone ever read anything on the many years of research Dr. Ian Stevensen has done almost exclusively with children?  In some of the cases the new incarnate has identified and even had relationships with the family from their past life.  They even have birthmarks that resemble the wounds they suffered from their previous life.   I had never even thought about reincarnation at all until I read some of the conclusions of his studies.  I think of all the books I have now read on reincarnation his work is the most convincing.  That's just my take, I'm not sure what I believe, but it makes sense to me that we would have to keep evolving spiritually.  I am of the opinion that the soul and the spirit are two different things, and I'm not clear what it is that reincarnates, but the Bible says the spirit returns to God.  Any input????[/QUOTE]

I'm not familiar with Dr. Stevensen's work but I have read studies by other researchers and some of their reported accounts were quite compelling.  After to listening to some of the stories closely and adding in my own dose of logic, I concluded these people were authentically reporting other experiences ... how and why is the million-$ question.  What's striking to me are the deep-rooted anxieties some of them were coping with and how those anxieties were traced all the way back to their claimed pre-existence via hypnosis... and the recalled traumatic circumstances that may have triggered those conditions....
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook