Page 13 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
Switch to Forum Live View Walker Texas Ranger Approves
2 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2012 - 11:27PM #121
solfeggio

Supporters of boy scouts don't care if they get tax exemptions and other benefits.  And people who see through the boy scouts' hypocrisy don't have enough of a voice in government to do anything about it.

I would further add that the Founding Fathers would definitely have frowned upon the idea of religious groups having tax exemptions as well.  The First Amendment doesn't deal with tax exemptions, after all.

Or has everybody forgot about the 'wall' between church and state?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2012 - 12:17AM #122
jane2

Jul 25, 2012 -- 11:27PM, solfeggio wrote:

Supporters of boy scouts don't care if they get tax exemptions and other benefits.  And people who see through the boy scouts' hypocrisy don't have enough of a voice in government to do anything about it.

I would further add that the Founding Fathers would definitely have frowned upon the idea of religious groups having tax exemptions as well.  The First Amendment doesn't deal with tax exemptions, after all.

I'm no fan of the BSA but it is a blip on the radar.

When we ived in Thailand my older daughter was a Bluebird in the interantional Girl Guides. Our son was ina cub scout group with the BSA. His scoutmaster helped him make his race car because his Dad was serving as a civilian in Saigon..

I can't get into a real hissy abut the current situation.

Moderated by Merope on Aug 02, 2012 - 01:26PM
discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2012 - 10:37AM #123
mytmouse57

As long as gay "pride" events are held in public spaces, and/or "gay histroy" programs are implimented in public schools, on the taxpayers' dime, I couldn't care less about complaints over  the Scouts' tax exempt status, or the fact that they also sometimes meet in public buildings.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2012 - 10:48AM #124
MysticWanderer

Well you certainly extrapolate a lot from one answer.  As I said before, I do not care about the tax exemption because it is granted to all non-profits!  I would be far more upset if my government placed itself in the position of judging the social motivations of a non-profit.  How would you feel if the non-profit status of Planned Parenthood were removed.  It is also being attacked.

As far as the other benefit, the Congressional charter, see below from Wikipedia:

"A congressional charter is a law passed by the United States Congress that states the mission, authority and activities of a group. Congress issued federal charters from 1791 until 1992 under Title 36 of the United States Code.

The relationship between Congress and the organization is largely a symbolic honorific giving the organization the aura of being "officially" sanctioned by the U.S. government. However, Congress does not oversee or supervise organizations with the charter (other than receiving a yearly financial statement)"

I disagree in this area as there were property tax exemptions on church properties used for religious and charitable uses from colonial times on.  They were already in place and none of the Founders to my knowledge took up arms against them.  They feared the misuse of the power of taxation to interfere with the free exercise clause more than any implied benefit under the establishment clause.  Also property taxes vary state to state but many give the same exemptions to other charitable non-profits.

By the way you never answered my question about your comment that the BSA was a racist organization.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2012 - 1:28PM #125
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 13 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook