Page 2 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View 9th Circuit Won't Rehear Its Decision Striking Down Prop 8
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 6:28PM #11
Thetwofish

Jun 5, 2012 -- 5:55PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Jun 5, 2012 -- 3:54PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

I guess that's just heterosexuals' "traditions", eh? Dviorce is something that they traditionally DO.

Heck, Larry King, Mickey Rooney, Elizabeth Taylor all had EIGHT marriages.

Tevye must be rolling over in his grave: "TraDITION!"

The fact that some people have failed at, disrespected or even outright abused the institution of man-woman marriage is beside the point -- and strikes me as an attempt at deflection.

Argumentum ad Brittney Spears -- as I call it -- is a fallacy, and does nothing to make the case for gay marriage. 

I don't believe that is what is being done.  It is not an argument to make the case for gay marriage.  It is a REBUTTAL of the argument from the anti-gay marriage crowd.

Without the anti-gay marriage crowd running around touting "tradition", the pro-gay marriage crowd wouldn't even bring up the way heterosexuals are being hypocrites about it.

Peace

<'{{><

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 6:31PM #12
mytmouse57

Jun 5, 2012 -- 6:28PM, Thetwofish wrote:

I guess that's just heterosexuals' "traditions", eh? Dviorce is something that they traditionally DO.

The fact that some people have failed at, disrespected or even outright abused the institution of man-woman marriage is beside the point -- and strikes me as an attempt at deflection.

Argumentum ad Brittney Spears -- as I call it -- is a fallacy, and does nothing to make the case for gay marriage. 

I don't believe that is what is being done.  It is not an argument to make the case for gay marriage.  It is a REBUTTAL of the argument from the anti-gay marriage crowd.

Without the anti-gay marriage crowd running around touting "tradition", the pro-gay marriage crowd wouldn't even bring up the way heterosexuals are being hypocrites about it.

Peace

<'{{><

Not really. Exceptions to the traditions -- by way of certain people abusing or disrespecting it -- does in no way cause the tradition, or its importance, to simply cease existing.

Or, to put it another way, one cannot simply blow off the value of a tradition by pointing out poor examples of it. That's like saying automobiles are unimportant, because somebody who was texting and driving crashed on your street last week. 

Again, it strikes me as a deflection -- and it's not particularly mature reasoning. It's a common tactic I get from my teenagers when they're called out on something. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 6:35PM #13
Thetwofish

Jun 5, 2012 -- 6:31PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Peace

<'{{><

Not really. Exceptions to the traditions -- by way of certain people abusing or disrespecting it -- does in no way cause the tradition, or its importance, to simply cease existing.

Again, it strikes me as a deflection -- and it's not particularly mature reasoning. It's a common tactic I get from my teenagers when they're called out on something. 

For Christ's sake...MM...can you just STOP!!!  Those of us who have compassion and have no problem letting gays marry don't give a RAT'S ASS whether you think the arguments are rational, valid or just plain poppy cock.

And you have made it plain that you don't care either.  So, why do YOU care what the arguments are?

Geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

For somebody that doesn't care, you sure seem to like to put your two cents in.

I DO CARE...not only for my nephew, but for all the same-sex couples that love each other and want to be married just like their heterosexuals friends, colleagues and strangers.

I care...that's why I post.  Why do you if you don't care??????

Peace

<'{{><

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 6:39PM #14
mytmouse57

Jun 5, 2012 -- 6:35PM, Thetwofish wrote:

Jun 5, 2012 -- 6:31PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Peace

<'{{><

For Christ's sake...MM...can you just STOP!!!  Those of us who have compassion and have no problem letting gays marry don't give a RAT'S ASS whether you think the arguments are rational, valid or just plain poppy cock.

And you have made it plain that you don't care either.  So, why do YOU care what the arguments are?

I DO CARE...not only for my nephew, but for all the same-sex couples that love each other and want to be married just like their heterosexuals friends, colleagues and strangers.

Peace

<'{{><

Why do you think only one view of this issue has compassion?

Why do you think compassion and sober reasoning -- expecting rational arguments for things -- are at odds?

Perhaps I don't find affirmation, encouragment or enablement of homosexuality to be particularly compassionate.

Now, societal evolution toward that is taking place right now, and will no doubt continue. Gay marriage is part and pacrel. 

I'm not particularly troubled by it, on a personal level.

But it's important to keep talking about it, and questioning it. Reason matters. Rationality matters. Truth matters. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 6:47PM #15
Thetwofish

MM: Perhaps I don't find affirmation, encouragment or enablement of homosexuality to be particularly compassionate.

And there it is.  Thanks for sharing.

Peace

<'{{><

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 6:49PM #16
mainecaptain

Peace

<'{{><

((((The Two Fish)))))))

I care too, very much

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 6:49PM #17
mytmouse57

Jun 5, 2012 -- 6:47PM, Thetwofish wrote:

MM: Perhaps I don't find affirmation, encouragment or enablement of homosexuality to be particularly compassionate.

Peace

<'{{><

Yes, there it is. 

What if there is an essential dishonesty at the very heart of all this? Isn't being at least somewhat leary of that valuable and important?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 6:58PM #18
mytmouse57

Jun 5, 2012 -- 6:49PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Peace

<'{{><

((((The Two Fish)))))))

I care too, very much

Truth is not based on who "cares" the most. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 7:13PM #19
Ebon

Shouldn't have been up for a vote in the first place. Will probably end up before the SCOTUS where Scalia and Thomas will utterly ignore the law and decide whatever the hell they feel like.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 7:18PM #20
Thetwofish

Jun 5, 2012 -- 6:49PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Jun 5, 2012 -- 6:47PM, Thetwofish wrote:

Peace

<'{{><

Yes, there it is. 

What if there is an essential dishonesty at the very heart of all this? Isn't being at least somewhat leary of that valuable and important?

And what might that dishonesty be, MM?

Peace

<'{{><

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook