Switch to Forum Live View NAACP endorses same-sex marriage
2 years ago  ::  May 20, 2012 - 10:38PM #1
Do_unto_others
I can't believe no one has started a thread anywhere on this historic news:

www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la...

Apparently the black community is NOT of one accord on the matter of same-gender marriage after all, just like "the Church" (TM, all rights reserved).
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 9:10AM #2
Iwantamotto

I'm surprised it took so long.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 12:52PM #3
REteach

Only 2 dissenters.  There is hope. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 1:34PM #4
mainecaptain

Yes there is hope. I hope I see SS marriage legalised in my life time in the U.S..

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 9:36PM #5
Do_unto_others

May 21, 2012 -- 1:34PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Yes there is hope. I hope I see SS marriage legalised in my life time in the U.S..

Cap'n,

It is, in effect, already that. New York has not residency requirement to get legally married in that State, so any American gay couple CAN get legally married now. Next step is for equal government recognition before the laws for those perfectly legal marriages.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 22, 2012 - 6:13PM #6
mainecaptain

May 21, 2012 -- 9:36PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

May 21, 2012 -- 1:34PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Cap'n,

It is, in effect, already that. New York has not residency requirement to get legally married in that State, so any American gay couple CAN get legally married now. Next step is for equal government recognition before the laws for those perfectly legal marriages.

Yes that is true. I am very proud of New York for that. But am still disturbed by the lack of federal recognition, that everyone deserves.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 22, 2012 - 10:29PM #7
Do_unto_others

That is why the mis-named "Defense" of Marriage Act must be repealed or overturned.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 9:55PM #8
Do_unto_others

I'm really surprised this isn't a major discussion, especially in light of Colin Powell's endorsement today.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 11:51PM #9
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook