Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Obama Declares Support for Same Sex Marriage
3 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 3:08PM #1
newsjunkie
In an interview with ABC Good Morning America anchor Robin Roberts, President Obama affirmed his support for same sex marriage.

It's not a surprise, but it will be interesting to see what effect, if any, this has on the presidential race. I'm glad the president did the right thing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 3:16PM #2
mytmouse57

Biden's statement probably forced his hand. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 3:25PM #3
Thetwofish

I'm glad too.  Well done Mr. President.  Even if he isn't re-elected, at least he had the BALLS to support the LBGT human American citizens and not bow down to the right's bigotry.

Peace

<'{{><

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 3:35PM #4
farragut

I'm delighted. The Grand Old Party used to be dedicated to human freedom, now we have to turn to the Democrats. If we could ever get the Dems away from their commitment to cradle-to-grave entitlement . . . . .

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 4:13PM #5
vra

I'm happy he made the move because I think it's simply the right thing to do, but I also think this could hurt him in certain swing states like Ohio, Virginia, and North Carolina. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 4:27PM #6
mainecaptain

May 9, 2012 -- 4:13PM, vra wrote:

I'm happy he made the move because I think it's simply the right thing to do, but I also think this could hurt him in certain swing states like Ohio, Virginia, and North Carolina. 

This is my feeling as well.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 4:40PM #7
newsjunkie

May 9, 2012 -- 4:27PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I agree with you, vra and mainecaptain, that it might be politically costly, but maybe the cost won't be very high. The race is for the independent vote, really, and the question is whether many of them focus on the typical wedge issues when deciding who to vote for. Also, Obama got rid of DADT and refused to defend DOMA, so he would just look like a coward if he kept saying he was "evolving" on the issue. Now it looks more like a gutsy move, as Thetwofish pointed out, and that may get him some support.

I do think Obama will pay a political price for taking this stand, but it might not make that much difference. I think the economy is going to be the deciding factor in the presidential race.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 4:46PM #8
mainecaptain

May 9, 2012 -- 4:40PM, newsjunkie wrote:

I do think Obama will pay a political price for taking this stand, but it might not make that much difference. I think the economy is going to be the deciding factor in the presidential race.

I sincerely hope you are right, (Bolding mine). President Obama may have his faults, but at least he is not trying to take us back in  time, back to biblical times, like the "conservative right wingers" are.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 4:52PM #9
Ken

They weren't going to vote for him anyway.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 4:55PM #10
vra

May 9, 2012 -- 4:40PM, newsjunkie wrote:

May 9, 2012 -- 4:27PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I agree with you, vra and mainecaptain, that it might be politically costly, but maybe the cost won't be very high. The race is for the independent vote, really, and the question is whether many of them focus on the typical wedge issues when deciding who to vote for. Also, Obama got rid of DADT and refused to defend DOMA, so he would just look like a coward if he kept saying he was "evolving" on the issue. Now it looks more like a gutsy move, as Thetwofish pointed out, and that may get him some support.

And I agree with the above.  However, in a very close race in several of these states, it may only take several thousand or so votes to determine who the winner will be.  However, with that being said, I do think probably most who even only follow the race somewhat would have known that there's a definitive difference between Obama and Romney on this. 

BTW, since we have just heard from one Republican that he thinks that women shouldn't have been allowed to vote, maybe next we'll hear much the same about blacks as well?  Nowadays, I wouldn't be at all surprised about much of anything coming from that party.  Both of my parents were life-long Republicans, but they really have to be rolling over in their graves now.  My sister, who has never voted for a Democrat in her life, is so angry with them that she says she'll not hesitate to vote for Obama this year and any Democrat who runs against our governor Snyder in 2014. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook