Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View PUNCH the Gay Out of Your Kids
2 years ago  ::  May 11, 2012 - 4:22PM #41
karbie

The biggest danger is that the daughter would end up marrying someone just like dear old Dad, or that the son would take his cues on how to treat women from Dad. Pure poison, handed down another generation.

What I really would hope is that both kids ended up loathing him so much that they would do the exact opposite of what they had grown up with.

If his sermon is any indicator of how incredibly angry and determined to dominate every inch of his kids' lives, he's a walking time bomb. Not that I wish more harm for anyone else, but I think that sooner or later he's going to punch a kid in the congregation--or at the mall, etc- that he isn't related to. Then he'll be in jail and learn just how popular child abusing hate-monger types are in prison if he keeps shooting his mouth off..or the grapevine spreads "the good word" about him.

Hey, maybe they'll let him preach a service to the inmates so they can discover they just needed their fathers to beat them up more or they wouldn't be in prison. Think of just how popular he'll be!

Okay, I'm being vicious. Cretins like that tend to bring that out in me.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 11, 2012 - 4:28PM #42
mainecaptain

I think I know how you feel Karbie.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 5:42AM #43
Yavanna

May 7, 2012 -- 6:01PM, MysticWanderer wrote:

May 7, 2012 -- 2:22PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I've said it before, Christianity does not make people better, this holy spirit everyone talks about does not make people, better. I've seen no evidence.

You are entirely correct about that.  The Holy Spirit will not change you.  It will advise and guide you, if and only if you choose to listen.  If you do not you will remian the same as always.  Those who expect the Holy Spirit to some how come in and do a makeover have forgotten that they must work for what they get.

If you're talking about a conscience then everyone has that. Otherwise I've never seen any evidence in my life that a Christian is different than anyone else.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 1:07PM #44
mainecaptain

May 12, 2012 -- 5:42AM, Yavanna wrote:

If you're talking about a conscience then everyone has that. Otherwise I've never seen any evidence in my life that a Christian is different than anyone else.

I am not talking about a conscience, and I have noticed, that not everyone seems to have one of those either.

No,  I was talking about this nebulous "holy spirit" (Christian religious being that is the 3rd in the trinity) Many if not most Christians say is  extremely important "being" in  their religion . You know "Father, Son, and Holy spirit"  And how this being supposedly makes you a better person and brings you closer to their god. On the Christian Debate board this nebulous being is mentioned fairly frequently.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 2:58PM #45
Yavanna

May 12, 2012 -- 1:07PM, mainecaptain wrote:

May 12, 2012 -- 5:42AM, Yavanna wrote:

I am not talking about a conscience, and I have noticed, that not everyone seems to have one of those either.

No,  I was talking about this nebulous "holy spirit" (Christian religious being that is the 3rd in the trinity) Many if not most Christians say is  extremely important "being" in  their religion . You know "Father, Son, and Holy spirit"  And how this being supposedly makes you a better person and brings you closer to their god. On the Christian Debate board this nebulous being is mentioned fairly frequently.

True enough at your first sentence.

I can only repeat my second sentence in response to your comments about the Holy Spirit.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 4:27PM #46
karbie

"God the Father, God the Son, God the Spirit, Three in One." 

When you give yourself to Christ, the peace and calm of the Holy Spirit is supposed to fill you. The key is that you have to invite Him in--

What I've seen in more "Born-Again" Christians than I can count seems to be the belief that once you've gotten that step out of the way, you really don't need a conscience any longer because you've been "Saved". Your ticket to Heaven has been confirmed and you can tell everyone how Christian you are--like the previous occupant of the White House.

What this church has is a bully in the pulpit instead of a Bully Pulpit. The nice thing about prejudices is how they seem to eliminate the need for rational thought.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 19, 2012 - 1:42PM #47
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 12:20PM #48
Mostyn32

Do_unto_others, may I use your term 'talibangelicals'...it's brilliant! Their perversion of the Gospels is sickening.

As a short-haired, female heterosexual who wears jeans most days and dress pants to church, I'm grateful that I don't have to listen to preachers like the one cited in the OP. I'm an Anglican and our pulpit teachings tend to be about the love of God and His love for all of Creation, both animate and inanimate. We're still sorting out whether or not our branch of the Christian tree will ever get around to blessing same sex marriages, but I have hope that we will eventually get there.

The so-called Christians who would defend that preacher's support for child abuse forget that Jesus said that the most important action for those who follow His teachings is that we should love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind, soul and strength, and love our neighbours as ourselves. He did not specify that the neighbour should be only the person who shares our narrow views, or even the same faith tradition. O, heavens, that means that I have to love the narrow homophobes and perverters of the Word, doesn't it, or those who pervert the teachings of Islam and Hinduism, and all the other faiths, too (all of which have as their basis the Golden Rule)? In that case,  I'm glad that Jesus said "love" and not "like", then.

Hey, there are some who self-identify as Christians who believe one can pray away the gay. It follows, then, that the rest of us can pray away the anti-gay attitudes!

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook