Switch to Forum Live View this used to be such a lively discussion....
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2012 - 2:56AM #1
Kimrdhbsms
I really miss the old days of Beliefnet when the discussions here were lively and there was a sense of community among the regulars.  It's a shame it's gone.  What happened?
I know I stopped coming around because when they changed the ownership of Beliefnet and changed the configuration of the site it became so much more difficult to navigate around that I figured they really didn't want me here.
What about you?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2012 - 2:42PM #2
REteach

I have been around about 10 years now.  I remember when someone posting on another board who be attacked because they were gay, even though the thread being discussed had nothing to do about sexuality or religion. Up to 7 different threads could have turned into anti-gay flame wars, no matter the original post. I like to think this board is quiet because homophobia is retreating.  Hope springs eternal, anyway. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 3:05PM #3
darcamani

Yes times are a changin'. I have also been around for many years.

Homophobia still is rampant, just got quieter.  Like racism and other "hot topics" people have stopped discussing, yelling and fighting.  And apparently have gone underground, or something. 

Beliefnet did change and my experience from some hosts have not been positive.  Some dump the oddest things over here.  Or simply delete.  

Some forget that issues that affect hetero folk also affect homo and trans folk.  The arguments have lost their power because some finally got that we are all human first. 

How many times have folk like me discussed family life?  Love?  Hate?

Heck, even the GCF has slowed down, I have become a surban parent of teens... so we are a lesbian houshold raising sons. 

What do I write about?  Food and family. 

Writing about sex is juicy yet anyone with a working brain can do what I do.  No big deal.

LOL, it really is no big deal.

YEA!  Except for the equal rights part...

Dar

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 9:22AM #4
Do_unto_others

Frankly, (and this is only my opinion - which will likely get my post removed, but what the heck) I blame the "moderators" for dumping most interesting discussions here, removing them from the "News" or "Hot Topics" threads.

And, once moved here, they die the death of desertion. (Yes, things have become way too hard to find.)

Sadly, homosexuality and homophobia ARE still news in America, and VERY hot topics. This is why I think these discussions should remain in the News and Hot Topics threads, but I already know from experience that my opinion isn't worth a hill of beans to the moderators.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 8:32PM #5
REteach

Yes, homophobia is still around. Still, people seem to understand they need to tone it down. 

Hot topics moves ALL threads after about 2 weeks of inactivity. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 16, 2012 - 2:36AM #6
Yavanna

Apr 18, 2012 -- 8:32PM, REteach wrote:

Yes, homophobia is still around. Still, people seem to understand they need to tone it down. 

Hot topics moves ALL threads after about 2 weeks of inactivity. 

Still, DUO has a point. Most boards are just archives for Hot Topics. It does seem a little pointless.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest