Post Reply
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Maryland Legalizes Gay Marriage
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2012 - 5:25PM #11
mainecaptain
Posts: 21,786

Feb 24, 2012 -- 4:39PM, Ken wrote:


Feb 24, 2012 -- 4:05PM, mindis1 wrote:


Feb 24, 2012 -- 12:59PM, TPaine wrote:


In a Politico forum this morning that also included Governor Martin O'Malley (D MD) Governor Bob McDonnell (R VA) insisted that

Most of the data that I’ve read that the best environment for a child to grow up to be fully capable of achieving the American dream and having the best start at life in an intact two-parent family made up of a man and a woman.




So, unless McDonnell is just irrational, I assume he wants to outlaw, not same-sex marriage, but divorce, out-of-wedlock childbirth and single-parent adoption.


It is the disconnect between people’s stated goals and their desire to deprive same-sex couples and children of the rights and responsibilities of civil marriage that we know the latter is merely due to an irrational animus.



Right. Bob McDonnell doesn't give a damn about kids being fully capable of achieving the American dream (and where did he dig up that moldy old phrase?). He just hates gays.


I believe he's also in favor of chattel slavery.




I agree Ken

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2012 - 5:29PM #12
sydneymoon
Posts: 3,680

This is my home state and I am proud of it. I miss it.


I just thought the legislation would have passed sooner.



M♥ryl♥nd

Margaret Mead: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2012 - 6:25PM #13
Fodaoson
Posts: 11,156

 


Child Abuse Rate At Zero Percent In Lesbian Households, New Report Finds:


Los Angeles, CA -- The Williams Institute, a research center on sexual orientation law and public policy at UCLA School of Law, has announced new findings from the U.S. National Longitudinal Lesbian Family Study (NLLFS), the longest-running study ever conducted on American lesbian families (now in its 24th year). In an article published today in the Archives of Sexual Behavior, the 17-year-old daughters and sons of lesbian mothers were asked about sexual abuse, sexual orientation, and sexual behavior.


The paper found that none of the 78 NLLFS adolescents reports having ever been physically or sexually abused by a parent or other caregiver. This contrasts with 26 percent of American adolescents who report parent or caregiver physical abuse and 8.3 percent who report sexual abuse www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/10/lesbia...


 


There is no legitimate scientific research connecting homosexuality and pedophilia. Sexual orientation (homosexual or heterosexual) is defined as an adult attraction to other adults. Pedophilia is defined as an adult sexual attraction or perversion to children.7 In a study of 269 cases of child sex abuse, only two offenders where found to be gay or lesbian. More relevant was the finding that of the cases involving molestation of a boy by a man, seventy-four percent of the men were or had been in a heterosexual relationship with the boys mother or another female relative. The conclusion was found that "a child's risk of being molested by his or her relative's heterosexual partner is over one hundred times greater than by someone who might be identifiable as being homosexual." 8 www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/f_gay/f_gayb.c...

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2012 - 6:57PM #14
mainecaptain
Posts: 21,786

Feb 24, 2012 -- 6:25PM, Fodaoson wrote:


 


Child Abuse Rate At Zero Percent In Lesbian Households, New Report Finds:


Los Angeles, CA -- The Williams Institute, a research center on sexual orientation law and public policy at UCLA School of Law, has announced new findings from the U.S. National Longitudinal Lesbian Family Study (NLLFS), the longest-running study ever conducted on American lesbian families (now in its 24th year). In an article published today in the Archives of Sexual Behavior, the 17-year-old daughters and sons of lesbian mothers were asked about sexual abuse, sexual orientation, and sexual behavior.


The paper found that none of the 78 NLLFS adolescents reports having ever been physically or sexually abused by a parent or other caregiver. This contrasts with 26 percent of American adolescents who report parent or caregiver physical abuse and 8.3 percent who report sexual abuse www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/10/lesbia...


 


There is no legitimate scientific research connecting homosexuality and pedophilia. Sexual orientation (homosexual or heterosexual) is defined as an adult attraction to other adults. Pedophilia is defined as an adult sexual attraction or perversion to children.7 In a study of 269 cases of child sex abuse, only two offenders where found to be gay or lesbian. More relevant was the finding that of the cases involving molestation of a boy by a man, seventy-four percent of the men were or had been in a heterosexual relationship with the boys mother or another female relative. The conclusion was found that "a child's risk of being molested by his or her relative's heterosexual partner is over one hundred times greater than by someone who might be identifiable as being homosexual." 8 www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/f_gay/f_gayb.c...




Thank you for posting this, it can not be shouted enough. But the bigot will never allow themselves to believe it.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2012 - 7:55PM #15
REteach
Posts: 14,726

Feb 24, 2012 -- 1:44PM, mainecaptain wrote:


Do any of the teachings of Vatican II apply anymore?



Apparently not to the bishops...

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2012 - 5:18PM #16
mainecaptain
Posts: 21,786

Feb 26, 2012 -- 7:55PM, REteach wrote:


Feb 24, 2012 -- 1:44PM, mainecaptain wrote:


Do any of the teachings of Vatican II apply anymore?



Apparently not to the bishops...




Sad.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 4:37PM #17
Merope
Posts: 10,133

Maryland's Democratic Governor O'Malley signed the gay marriage bill on Thursday, making Maryland the 8th state - plus the District of Columbia - to legalize gay marriage.


According to the WaPo, Thursday’s signing gave O’Malley a chance to bask in a landmark legislative success that was not at all certain when he took on the issue as his own last year.  O’Malley, who is Catholic, had long said he preferred civil unions to gay marriage.


Since the measure’s passage, O’Malley has publicly explained his position change in greater detail, saying he “misjudged” how quickly the public’s views of gay marriage had evolved.  Detractors have said O’Malley’s opinions only seemed to change last year when another potential candidate for his party’s 2016 presidential nomination, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, was able to secure passage of gay marriage through a divided state legislature.


Regardless, the deed is done.  However, folks will have to wait until January 1 of next year.  Under the new law, that's when gay marriages can begin.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 4:52PM #18
REteach
Posts: 14,726

From what I understand, there are those who do not believe health care, the economy, pollution, etc is as important to their lives as launching a repeal.  Undecided

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 5:05PM #19
Ken
Posts: 33,859

Mar 3, 2012 -- 4:52PM, REteach wrote:


From what I understand, there are those who do not believe health care, the economy, pollution, etc is as important to their lives as launching a repeal.  


To hell with them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 9:00PM #20
arielg
Posts: 9,116

Feb 24, 2012 -- 12:41PM, Merope wrote:


Not everyone is happy about this, of course :-(


Sadly, the cardinal of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Maryland says legalization of same-sex marriage threatens families.  I find this very sad because this comment fails to recognize that same-sex marriages are families.


No, they are not.  They are just two friends engaging in creative sex  and playing house. An imitation of the real thing.


The cardinal has promised that the archdiocese will work to overturn the law.


AP story here.





Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook