Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Federal Court Finds DOMA Unconstitutional
2 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2012 - 7:04PM #1
TPaine
In a decision announced today, Judge Jeffery White of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California rulled that the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) violated the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment and was therefore unconstitutional. Judge White was appointed to the court in 2002 by President George W. Bush. Link
"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2012 - 7:08PM #2
Rgurley4

Does anything conservative NOW come out of California? Their memory of Reagan  is fading.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2012 - 7:10PM #3
jane2

Feb 22, 2012 -- 7:08PM, Rgurley4 wrote:

Does anything conservative NOW come out of California? Their memory of Reagan  is fading.

Forgetting Reagan is desirable for many of us.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2012 - 7:13PM #4
Ken

Feb 22, 2012 -- 7:10PM, jane2 wrote:

Forgetting Reagan is desirable for many of us.

Reagan who?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2012 - 7:38PM #5
mountain_man

That's a good thing. Saint Reagan did no good as governor or as president. We do remember that Reagan cheated on his first wife, then divorced her. He is not a good example of you wish to "defend" marriage.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2012 - 7:43PM #6
REteach

I will be glad when DOMA goes the same way as slavery, denial of women's right to vote, and miscegenation.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2012 - 7:45PM #7
mainecaptain

Feb 22, 2012 -- 7:43PM, REteach wrote:

I will be glad when DOMA goes the same way as slavery, denial of women's right to vote, and miscegenation.  

Oh yes, me too. sooner the better

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2012 - 8:12PM #8
Sacrificialgoddess
How could anyone for small government agree with DOMA?
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2012 - 9:46PM #9
mainecaptain

Feb 22, 2012 -- 8:12PM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

They couldn't. Those who pushed for DOMA don't want small government, they want huge government, so they can control us in the most intimate ways.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2012 - 10:29PM #10
mountain_man

Feb 22, 2012 -- 8:12PM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

You forget that they want small government interference in big business but large government interference with your private life.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook