Post Reply
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Washington Governor Signs Same-Sex Marriage Bill
3 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2012 - 10:06PM #1
Merope
Posts: 9,796

The state Senate approved the measure last week. The House passed the bill on a 55 to 43 vote. 2 Republicans crossed the aisle to vote in favor of the bill; 3 Democrats voted against it. Democrats hold a 56-42 majority in the House.


The vote comes a day after the 9th Circuit ruled California’s ban on gay marriage unconstitutional.


The bill does not require religious organizations or churches to perform same-sex marriages and does not subject them to penalties if they don’t marry same-sex couples.


The bill now goes to Democratic Governor Chris Gregoire, who is expected to sign it into law next week. Once the governor signs the bill, Washington will become the 7th state in the US to legalize same-sex marriage.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2012 - 10:14PM #2
Merope
Posts: 9,796

Once the governor signs the bill, the law will go into effect 90 days after the legislative session ends next month. 


However, opponents are planning a ballot measure that would allow voters to overturn the legislative action.  If opponents gather enough signatures to qualify for the ballot, then the law would be put on hold pending outcome of the November election.


Opponents must gather more than 120,000 valid signatures by June 6 to get such a measure on the ballot.  If they don't, then same-sex couples can marry starting in June.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2012 - 10:55PM #3
Do_unto_others
Posts: 8,774

Feb 8, 2012 -- 10:06PM, Merope wrote:



The state Senate approved the measure last week. The House passed the bill on a 55 to 43 vote. 2 Republicans crossed the aisle to vote in favor of the bill; 3 Democrats voted against it. Democrats hold a 56-42 majority in the House.


The vote comes a day after the 9th Circuit ruled California’s ban on gay marriage unconstitutional.


The bill does not require religious organizations or churches to perform same-sex marriages and does not subject them to penalties if they don’t marry same-sex couples.


The bill now goes to Democratic Governor Chris Gregoire, who is expected to sign it into law next week. Once the governor signs the bill, Washington will become the 7th state in the US to legalize same-sex marriage.





8th if you count California, which after yesterday, we should.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2012 - 10:56PM #4
Do_unto_others
Posts: 8,774

One by one, justice is done.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 4:29AM #5
Merope
Posts: 9,796

Feb 8, 2012 -- 10:55PM, Do_unto_others wrote:


8th if you count California, which after yesterday, we should.



Well, yes and no :/  The 9th Circuit's decision is on hold pending the court's issuance of the formal mandate to put the ruling into effect.  In the meantime, Prop 8 proponents have the option of asking the full court to reconsider the panel's decision en banc, or they could seek to go directly to the Supreme Court to challenge the decision.  It would be up to the Supreme Court to decide whether to take the case.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 8:41AM #6
Yavanna
Posts: 3,149

Feb 8, 2012 -- 10:14PM, Merope wrote:


Once the governor signs the bill, the law will go into effect 90 days after the legislative session ends next month. 


However, opponents are planning a ballot measure that would allow voters to overturn the legislative action.  If opponents gather enough signatures to qualify for the ballot, then the law would be put on hold pending outcome of the November election.


Opponents must gather more than 120,000 valid signatures by June 6 to get such a measure on the ballot.  If they don't, then same-sex couples can marry starting in June.




Even if it gets on the ballot a majority have already stated they wouldn't vote to overturn it, even if they wouldn't have voted in favor of it.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 11:37AM #7
Merope
Posts: 9,796

Feb 9, 2012 -- 8:41AM, Yavanna wrote:


Even if it gets on the ballot a majority have already stated they wouldn't vote to overturn it, even if they wouldn't have voted in favor of it.



Whew!  That's good to know Cool  Thanks for posting that.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2012 - 7:10PM #8
Yavanna
Posts: 3,149

Feb 9, 2012 -- 11:37AM, Merope wrote:


Feb 9, 2012 -- 8:41AM, Yavanna wrote:


Even if it gets on the ballot a majority have already stated they wouldn't vote to overturn it, even if they wouldn't have voted in favor of it.



Whew!  That's good to know Cool  Thanks for posting that.




I'd cite the link, but it was a local article.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2012 - 4:23PM #9
TemplarS
Posts: 6,786

Feb 9, 2012 -- 8:41AM, Yavanna wrote:


Even if it gets on the ballot a majority have already stated they wouldn't vote to overturn it, even if they wouldn't have voted in favor of it.




But what will happen is more complex. You have to get that majority out to vote, which the numbers will tell you is from the start an uphill fight.


Only maybe 3-4% of the population is gay; and I am going to guess that there are probably 2 or 3 times that number of voters who are strongly anti-same-sex-marriage, and who will be sure to turn out and vote.  So enough of a majority of straight pro-same-sex-marriage voters needs to turn out to overcome that disadvantage - and the question then becomes, do enough of them feel strongly enough to be sure to get out and vote?  Because you can bet the anti-gay people are going to be mounting a strong campaign to get the anti-gay vote out; and while polls indicate a majority approve of gay marriage these days- it is a slim majority.  This is why a referendum as opposed to legislative action is favored by those opposing same-sex-marriage in states where you'd think same-sex-marriage would have no trouble passing (California, New Jersey- and Washington). 


Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2012 - 5:00PM #10
TPaine
Posts: 9,339

Feb 11, 2012 -- 4:23PM, TemplarS wrote:


Feb 9, 2012 -- 8:41AM, Yavanna wrote:


Even if it gets on the ballot a majority have already stated they wouldn't vote to overturn it, even if they wouldn't have voted in favor of it.




But what will happen is more complex. You have to get that majority out to vote, which the numbers will tell you is from the start an uphill fight.


Only maybe 3-4% of the population is gay; and I am going to guess that there are probably 2 or 3 times that number of voters who are strongly anti-same-sex-marriage, and who will be sure to turn out and vote.  So enough of a majority of straight pro-same-sex-marriage voters needs to turn out to overcome that disadvantage - and the question then becomes, do enough of them feel strongly enough to be sure to get out and vote?  Because you can bet the anti-gay people are going to be mounting a strong campaign to get the anti-gay vote out; and while polls indicate a majority approve of gay marriage these days- it is a slim majority.  This is why a referendum as opposed to legislative action is favored by those opposing same-sex-marriage in states where you'd think same-sex-marriage would have no trouble passing (California, New Jersey- and Washington).



Since the government gives benefits to married couples that are not given to unmarried individuals, depriving LGBT couples the right to marry violates the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.

"The prescriptions in favor of liberty, ought to be leveled against that quarter where the greatest danger lies, namely, that which possesses the highest prerogative of power: But this [is] not found in either the executive or legislative departments of government, but in the body of the people, operating by the majority against the minority.
"It may be thought all paper barriers against the power of the community are too weak to be worthy of attention…yet, as they have a tendency to impress some degree of respect for them, to establish the public opinion in their favor, and rouse the attention of the whole community, it may be one means to control the majority from those acts to which they might be otherwise inclined." -- James Madison: Proposing Bill of Rights to House, June 8, 1789


"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook