Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Isn't homosexuality simply a choice?
3 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2012 - 1:24PM #11
mainecaptain

It always been baffled at how people seem to think it is their business who someone else falls in love with. As long as it is a consenting adult human being. It is no one else's business.

Love should be celebrated, not ridiculed and attacked. It may be a corny saying, but the world needs more love not people being denied the right to love as they feel.

If two of my girl friends fall in love with each other, they harm no one. But fulfil each other. If two of my guy friends fall in love with each other they harm no one, but fulfil each other.

If a girl friend and a guy friend fall in love with each other ditto. I would never interfere or condemn any of those relationships.

One, it is none of my business, but on a personal level, I would be very happy for them, any one of those couples. And wish them a long happy life together.

And one does not CHOOSE who they fall in love with. Love works differently then that.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2012 - 9:42PM #12
Aussiesoul

I loved your post Mainecaptain and I agree with every word.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2012 - 4:09PM #13
mainecaptain

Jan 28, 2012 -- 9:42PM, Aussiesoul wrote:

I loved your post Mainecaptain and I agree with every word.

Thank you. :)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 9:38AM #14
Mostyn32

Jan 24, 2012 -- 3:04PM, Craig_w_dressler wrote:

We all have choices about whether to live holy lives or unholy lives.  I don't like to recall the poor choices I made in regards to sexuality when I was younger.  However, after I made Jesus my Savior and Lord and was filled the Holy Spirit, God has empowered me to live a holy life in regards to my sexual choices.  Many others have made that choice as well.  Because there are many others who have done so, isn't the idea that genetics is at fault simply a way to deny the truth in this regard?

Could you possibly be more sanctimonious, Craig?

First of all, you did not make Jesus your saviour. Jesus did that!

Second, has God empowered you to live a holy life in regards to areas other than your sexual choices? Are you telling us that you are a homophobic homosexual?  Are you telling us that same sex couples are living unholy lives? Are you telling us that heterosexuality and homosexuality are choices? Are you aware that what you are telling us is pure bunkum?

I suggest that you don't know what you are talking about, and after you have lived a few years denying who you really are, you're going to be even more unhappy and unfulfilled than you are now.  

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 6:55PM #15
twolf02

I have a knowing of (not just belief) and a very close and personal relationship with God, the Creator of all things. I am gay. I also have a knowing that it was no more a choice than my hair color or eye color or my height or racial/ethnic background. It just simply is. If you had truly turned your life over to God and not some fanatical, destructive religion (which God is not the author of) you would also have that same knowing.  I talk to God daily and He talks to me and takes care of me. Even the Judeo-Christain God said to Moses, "I am that I am." and so it is for me. I am that I am.  You see, your religions try to incapsulate God within a singularity and hold Him captive to your desires and wishes. You take His word and you confound it to fit your narrow "eye of the needle" thinking. Absoultely most of our lives are based on the choices we make including how we respond to how God made us as we came into this world. Do we try to change the way God made us or do we make choices that helps to guide us to our highest purpose? Your Jesus said, "and you do this to the least of these, you do it also to me." And when Mary Magdala came he lifted her up kissed her forehead and told her to go and sin no more, because prostitution is a choice.  But...he did not condemn her.  Now are you greater or better than the man you profess to follow that you would comdemn someone? Homosexuality is not a choice. It is a state of being. God makes no mistakes with his creations. I personally would not change, just because. There would have to be a greater reason than what some religion spews out.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 9:39AM #16
Jasr

I don't have time to do a medical literature search to prove this, but it is pretty clear to me that homosexuality is no more a choice than eye colour.

I have many gay friends, several devoutly religious gay friends, and I have heard too many stories of painful internal struggles to allow me to believe that anybody would voluntarily submit themselves to such emotional torture. People who feel they have a relationship with God should focus on that relationship and stop letting other people tell them what that relationship is.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 11:33AM #17
Mostyn32

Mar 29, 2012 -- 6:55PM, twolf02 wrote:

I have a knowing of (not just belief) and a very close and personal relationship with God, the Creator of all things. I am gay. I also have a knowing that it was no more a choice than my hair color or eye color or my height or racial/ethnic background. It just simply is. If you had truly turned your life over to God and not some fanatical, destructive religion (which God is not the author of) you would also have that same knowing.  I talk to God daily and He talks to me and takes care of me. Even the Judeo-Christain God said to Moses, "I am that I am." and so it is for me. I am that I am.  You see, your religions try to incapsulate God within a singularity and hold Him captive to your desires and wishes. You take His word and you confound it to fit your narrow "eye of the needle" thinking. Absoultely most of our lives are based on the choices we make including how we respond to how God made us as we came into this world. Do we try to change the way God made us or do we make choices that helps to guide us to our highest purpose? Your Jesus said, "and you do this to the least of these, you do it also to me." And when Mary Magdala came he lifted her up kissed her forehead and told her to go and sin no more, because prostitution is a choice.  But...he did not condemn her.  Now are you greater or better than the man you profess to follow that you would comdemn someone? Homosexuality is not a choice. It is a state of being. God makes no mistakes with his creations. I personally would not change, just because. There would have to be a greater reason than what some religion spews out.

twolf, your post should be required reading for all the homophobic narrow religious people who feel it is their right to denigreate, demean and castigate LGBT. Thank you for expressing yourself and your faith so well.

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 5:58PM #18
twolf02

Mostyn32...Thank you. I don't usually have much to say but then when one meets ignorance and does not try to enlighten then one has no place complaining.  And to Craig_w_dressler...You are not quoting facts there my friend. The success rate of "Conversion Therapy" especially thorugh religious organizations is so far nil. Some people, mostly men, have managed to try living as straight men/women and some have gotten married and had children. But, more than 97% eventually go back to being who they really are. If you are insinuating that you were able to change from homo to hetro-sexual my best guess is that inside yourself you are living a lie. And, it will catch up with you eventually. It does with everyone. Even it it's on their death bed and I have heard a few of those confessions. 

The truly sad thing is, is that any person or group of people thinking that they are entitled to dictate to another how they should be or live.  When you look at all the strife in the world through out history. That has always been the root cause.  All of you know, you know, inside your soul, that it is nothing more than fear.  And, even sadder is that it's not even your fear. It was taught to you and indoctrinated into you. 

Let's talk facts. Hard cold provable, documented facts. 97% of all child molestations are perpetrated by heterosexual (supposedly). And it is usually a relative or close friend of the family. Roughly less than 3% of pedophiles are gay or identify as gay. In this country all of them without fail profess to have a Christian background. 

With "Conversion Therapy" the only verifiable stats are from the secular area, like the American Psychiatric Association, National Institute of Mental Health, and the American Psychological Association. The religious organizations apparently don't keep "records."  So, the veracity of their stats are questionable at best.

I'll make a deal with you...you stop telling lies about me (as a gay man) and God and I will stop telling the truth about you (that is a quote from a movie that I can't remember the name of but , it seemed appropo here).   

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook