Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View A threat to humanity's future?
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 3:13PM #21
Yavanna

Jan 12, 2012 -- 1:52AM, Roodog wrote:

Jan 11, 2012 -- 3:18PM, Yavanna wrote:

Jan 11, 2012 -- 10:42AM, Fodaoson wrote:

I have nothing against gays (glbt) but I do find something queer* about them

Queer:   [kweer] adjective, -er, -est, verb, noun

adjective

1. strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint; unusually different; singular: a queer notion of justice.

That's all right. I find conservatives and Republicans to be even queerer.

Fodaoson is a Democrat (at least he is not a Republican) and he is reasonably liberal.

You could have fooled me.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2012 - 12:51PM #22
Father_Oblivion

Jan 11, 2012 -- 9:55PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Jan 11, 2012 -- 10:42AM, Fodaoson wrote:

I have nothing against gays (glbt) but I do find something queer* about them

Queer:   [kweer] adjective, -er, -est, verb, noun

adjective

1. strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint; unusually different; singular: a queer notion of justice.

I took the bait and went to the site that, per your example, defines justice thusly:

"jus·tice

noun

1. the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness: to uphold the justice of a cause.

2. rightfulness or lawfulness, as of a claim or title; justness of ground or reason: to complain with justice.

3. the moral principle determining just conduct.

4. conformity to this principle, as manifested in conduct; just conduct, dealing, or treatment.

5. the administering of deserved punishment or reward.

6. the maintenance or administration of what is just by law, as by judicial or other proceedings: a court of justice.

7. judgment of persons or causes by judicial process: to administer justice in a community.

8. a judicial officer; a judge or magistrate.

9. ( initial capital letter ) Also called Justice Department. the Department of Justice."

You say THIS is a "queer notion of justice"?

How is it a "strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint; unusually different; singular", and what is it that you find "queer" about us? As a gay person, I agree with all nine examples. So, how am I a "queer" again?

Way beneath you.

Wow, I guess the joke, which is having this sense of justice while being 'queer' (a common word for GLBT to self-identify) just went right over your head.

Do you live in Salt Lake? You should try San Francisco or New Orleans, where people are not so stiff-necked.

The important thing to remember about American history is that it is fictional, a charcoal-sketched simplicity for the children or the easily bored. For the most part it is uninspected, unimagined, unthought, a representative of the thing and not the thing itself. It is a fine fiction...
Neil Gaiman
'American Gods'

‎"Ignorance of ignorance, then, is that self-satisfied state of unawareness in which man, knowing nothing outside the limited area of his physical senses, bumptiously declares there is nothing more to know! He who knows no life save the physical is merely ignorant; but he who declares physical life to be all-important and elevates it to the position of supreme reality--such a one is ignorant of his own ignorance."
- Manly Palmer Hall
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2012 - 5:11PM #23
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing