Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View A threat to humanity's future?
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 12:09AM #1
solfeggio

Pope Benedict has decided all on his own that gay marriage is so dangerous, and such a threat to traditional 'family values' that it actually undermines 'the future of humanity itself.'

www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/244164/new...

www.businessinsider.com/pope-gay-marriag...

Evidently, even though he's not married himself, he has this idea that traditional marriages between a male and female are the best kind, and the best for raising kids, and that it must follow that kids growing up in a gay household are probably going to turn out bad.

Too bad he never read up on the statistics of same-sex marriages, which show that kids in these marriages are just as well-adjusted and happy as kids in traditional marriages.

igfculturewatch.com/2004/04/01/gay-marri...

www.medscape.com/viewarticle/514477

And too bad that the Pope doesn't seem to be aware of the fact that homosexuality, like heterosexuality, is a sexual orientation and not a choice.  So often, these religious types will mix up sexuality with morality and get their knickers in a twist when it comes to things about which they know nothing.

Bottom line, of course, is that what consenting adults do in private that doesn't hurt anybody is nobody else's business, least of all religious know-it-all kingpins.      

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 12:10AM #2
mountain_man

Jan 11, 2012 -- 12:09AM, solfeggio wrote:

Pope Benedict has decided all on his own that gay marriage is so dangerous, and such a threat to traditional 'family values' that it actually undermines 'the future of humanity itself.'... 

Actually, he is more of a danger to humanity.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 12:35AM #3
rangerken

I have no problem with the pope saying anything about anything. He's talking to Catholics (and yes, he probably thinks he's talking to everyone) and as the leader of the Roman Catholic Church he has every 'right' to preach what he wants to Catholics.

Those of us who are not Catholics may completely ignore him, which just about all of us do. And, having been married to a Catholic for close to 39 years, I can say with some assurance that lots of Catholics don't accept everything the pope says as doctrine, dogma, or whatever that must be obeyed....my wife being one of these.

This is an example of something I totally disagree with him about. I rather doubt that concerns him naturally...but that's fair, because what he says doesn't concern me.

Ken

PS. No loving relationship between human beings is a danger to anything.....except perhaps to those who think they should be able to decide what a loving relationship is or is not. That's my own...totally heterosexual...opinion...LOL.

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 10:42AM #4
Fodaoson

I have nothing against gays (glbt) but I do find something queer* about them

Queer:   [kweer] adjective, -er, -est, verb, noun

adjective

1. strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint; unusually different; singular: a queer notion of justice.

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 11:36AM #5
Marcion

Does anyone really pay attention to those cranky old men in Rome?

Let them clean up their own act on pedophile protection before they attack anyone else.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 11:55AM #6
MMarcoe

The Pope's warning on homosexuality probably has a lot to do with the fact that gay unions are statistically less likely to produce children, especially Catholic children.

In centuries past, non-procreative sex was looked down upon by Catholics because it did not, to put it honestly, increase the Catholic population.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 2:40PM #7
christine3
Obviously those guys in Rome have no idea why people are born hetero, bi, homo, asexual.  So they are condemning nature?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 3:18PM #8
Yavanna

Jan 11, 2012 -- 10:42AM, Fodaoson wrote:

I have nothing against gays (glbt) but I do find something queer* about them

Queer:   [kweer] adjective, -er, -est, verb, noun

adjective

1. strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint; unusually different; singular: a queer notion of justice.

That's all right. I find conservatives and Republicans to be even queerer.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 5:47PM #9
jane2

In the US Benedict's thinking has few supporters. Nor does the thinking of the ulta-neocon Catholic bishops.

Rome has a liking for the Yankee dollar, of which it is receiving far fewer today. Many of us know that "Americanism" was a heresy a century ago.

The big "joke" on Rome is the scholarly education in theology and philosophy presented to so many of us in Catholic colleges and universities. We learned about the "Faith and Reason" presented originally by Aquinas and enhanced over the centuries. We also learned to think for ourselves.

And in the US the fundamentalists have far more sway as do their preachers.

From what I read Catholic thought in Australia often mirrors broader American Catholic thought.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 9:14PM #10
Ken

Jan 11, 2012 -- 12:35AM, rangerken wrote:

I have no problem with the pope saying anything about anything.

Nor have I. I just don't understand why anybody bothers to report it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook