Switch to Forum Live View Being Catholic and Gay
3 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2011 - 2:59PM #1
johnnyjoe
I ran across this blog post from a friend today.  Whatever your view on the matter of human sexuality, this individual has the proper perspective to offer regarding the balance of being "gay" and being a practicing Catholic.

Here is an exerpt:

"So the Church doesn't oppose gay marriage because it's wrong; she opposes it because it's impossible, just as impossible as living on sand. The Church believes, and I believe, in a universe that means something, and in a God who made the universe -- made men and women, designed sex and marriage from the ground up. In that universe, gay marriage doesn't make sense. It doesn't fit with the rest of the picture, and we're not about to throw out the rest of the picture.

If you don't believe in these things, if you believe that men and women and sex and marriage are pretty much whatever we say they are, then okay: we don't have much left to talk about. That's not the world I live in.

So, yes, it's hard to be gay and Catholic -- it's hard to be anythingand Catholic -- because I don't always get to do what I want. Show me a religion where you always get to do what you want and I'll show you a pretty shabby, lazy religion. Something not worth living or dying for, or even getting up in the morning for. That might be the kind of world John Lennon wanted, but John Lennon was kind of an idiot.

Would I trade in my Catholicism for a worldview where I get to marry a man? Would I trade in the Eucharist and the Mass and the rest of it? Being a Catholic means believing in a God who literally waits in the chapel for me, hoping I'll stop by just for ten minutes so he can pour out love and healing on my heart. Which is worth more -- all this, or getting to have sex with who I want? I wish everybody, straight or gay, had as beautiful a life as I have." 
"If Samson could slay 1000 Philistines with only the jawbone of an ass,
think what God could do with a complete ass."
St. John Vianney
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2011 - 5:31PM #2
REteach

I thank God for New Ways Ministry which shows you can be Catholic and gay.  I also have an autographed copy of Sons of the Church: The Witnessing of Gay Catholic Men by Thomas B. Stevenson which also proves one can be Catholic and gay.  And married like the couple in our church whose son is also an altar boy. 

Fortunately, it is not required to be a prejudiced bigot to be Catholic.  In fact, the RCC requires people to follow an informed conscience and increasing numbers of Catholics are doing so.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2011 - 12:09PM #3
Do_unto_others

Re: "she opposes it because it's impossible"

"She" is as delusional as ever, I see.

Re: "just as impossible as living on sand"

The Bedouins do that quite successfully. And have, for millenia.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2011 - 3:16AM #4
Kimrdhbsms

That same God made gay people.  And God never said no to gay marriage, just the church did.   In this case the church is wrong, it is misinterpreting what it is reading in the Bible. 

Even the Catholic church says the Ultimate arbiter is your own conscience.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2012 - 2:56PM #5
Vineyardbornagainchristian1

That's very interesting, I know that the Catholic Church is ran by the Pope and he changes his mind a lot. We'll see how it goes and let the people decide and that's that about that for now.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2012 - 9:31AM #6
Do_unto_others

Re: "It doesn't fit with the rest of the picture, and we're not about to throw out the rest of the picture."

This is the biggest lie/misconception/un-truth that the anti-equality squad tell. It implies that if gay couples are allowed to marry, then "traditional" (i.e. heterosexual) marriage gets "thrown out" (i.e. abandoned/discarded).

Not one opposite-gender couple has been denied, refused, forbidden the right to marry since gay couples have been allowed that exact same right.

It. Is. NOT. Happening.

For such a lie to be borne of and from "The Church" is appallling. Bearing false witness used to be a sin.

Shame on the lot of them!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook