Switch to Forum Live View Vouchers and anti-gay teaching
3 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2011 - 4:21PM #1
Calvarius
I see that since Indiana instituted a voucher program,  enrollment at Roman Catholic schools is up 70 %.  One hopes that cults don't start opening schools with our tax dollars.

To my point/worry:

are non-traditional Americans about to pay for their own defamation? By non-traditional, I mean

gays
feminists
Mormons
Hindus  (spelled "Hindoos" in Thomas Jefefrson's autobiography, in which he said Virginia should welcome and respect them.)
Muslims (spelled "Mahamotans" in Thomas Jefefrson's autobiography, in which he said Virginia should welcome and respect them.)
pagans

etc. etc.

Where are the teachers' union?  I hope they are putting up a fight.  I hope we do, too!

I prefer faiths that stand on their own, without need of a politician to help them stand. (James Madison said essentially the same thing.)

enough of my editorializing / what do you all think?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2011 - 8:48PM #2
REteach

I think I quit giving money to my church when I discovered half of it went to the parochial school.  Why should my contributions to the church go to paying for something I thought was too stupid for my own kids?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2011 - 4:23PM #3
Calvarius

I pat you on the back!

If I wanted to engage in conspiracy theories, I'd speculate that tuition vouchers, and Faith Based Initiatives, are ways for the government to co-op religion. For its deeds.

For ITS agenda.

No more independent religion.  All clergy in America will be indebted to politicians.  Socialized religion!

www.au.org/issues/school-vouchers-govern...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2011 - 1:58AM #4
Thequestion

I believe that if a government in the United States were to give vouchers for private schools, it should only be for nondenominational, non-religious affilliated schools.  Otherwise, it is a violation of our constitutional right to separation between church and state. 

What I imagine in Catholic schools is exactly what you fear.  A school preaching distant, twisted and hateful views on how innocent children should think and lead thier lives (much alike to terrorist training camps in the middle East).  We cannot allow our government to finance hatred and bigotry by financing or having any relation with organization that do not promote the utmost level of unconditional equality and respect for people.  Doing otherwise undermines the constitution.

I am disgraced at what America does by giving too much power to the states and allowing disparities between states in issues such as civil rights and education.  Basically, if a child happens to be born in the Deep South which is very conservative and poor, the child will be deprived of the rights and privelages that we have in certain other states.

But it continues to be an issue because many people make the argument that America is a Christan nation, and that even though the constitution promotes freedom and equality to all that it was somehow meant otherwise.  Crazy.

-Alex

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook