Page 1 of 17  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Sometimes, there ARE positive outcomes
3 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2011 - 7:32AM #1
DotNotInOz
A 7-year-old Colorado child who has identified as a girl since age 2 was denied admission to Girl Scouts by a troop leader apparently ill-informed about Girl Scout policy regarding trans.

www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=226...

Heartening to learn that this is one story that appears to have a favorable outcome. Progress is being made in acceptance, especially important for young children who don't understand why there's any issue involved.  
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2011 - 8:13AM #2
REteach

The Girl Scouts are lightyears ahead of the Boy Scouts.  Says a lot about men and women maybe.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2011 - 8:21AM #3
Iwantamotto

Ah, the fond memories of being a Girl Scout.  Wow.  Good for them!  :)

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2011 - 10:30AM #4
Erey

As far as social progressiveness the Girl Scouts might be ahead of the Boy Scouts but the Girl Scouts are the most un-fun organization I have been a part of.  The Boy Scouts might not be as hip and cool but they at least know how to have a little fun on a campout.  Something that should not be hard for any child-centered group but somehow the Girl Scouts make it difficult. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2011 - 11:00AM #5
mountain_man

Oct 26, 2011 -- 8:13AM, REteach wrote:

The Girl Scouts are lightyears ahead of the Boy Scouts.  Says a lot about men and women maybe.

No, the Boy Scouts have been taken over by christian extremists. It says more about religion than men.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2011 - 12:53PM #6
mainecaptain

Oct 26, 2011 -- 7:32AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

A 7-year-old Colorado child who has identified as a girl since age 2 was denied admission to Girl Scouts by a troop leader apparently ill-informed about Girl Scout policy regarding trans.

Heartening to learn that this is one story that appears to have a favorable outcome. Progress is being made in acceptance, especially important for young children who don't understand why there's any issue involved.  

That is beautiful. This child is being allowed to be what s/he feels. That goes a long way toward a healthy, mentally sound adult.

And a happy child.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2011 - 1:06PM #7
mainecaptain

Oct 26, 2011 -- 11:00AM, mountain_man wrote:

No, the Boy Scouts have been taken over by christian extremists. It says more about religion than men.

Unfortunately,  I think you are right.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2011 - 1:16PM #8
DotNotInOz

As hubby mentioned when I told him about this story, the Girl Scouts have long been more openminded than the Boy Scouts.

In the late 70's, when his parents both were Girl Scout leaders, he was an official Girl Scout, going on field trips and camping, even had a badge sash although he was too busy earning BS badges to do any GS ones.

He said whenever any guys in his class gave him crap about being a Girl Scout, he'd simply reply, "Oh, yeah? So, you wouldn't want to be at camp with a bunch of hot girls and be the only guy within 20 miles?" That shut them up real quick, he said.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2011 - 7:50PM #9
mytmouse57

Oct 26, 2011 -- 11:00AM, mountain_man wrote:

Actually, the BSA stood by their principles.

When you're on the far end, everybody who disagrees with you will look like an "extremist." But the fact is, many people who disagree with you about BSA are not Christians. And of those who are, the vast majority would probably not be considered "extremists" by any reasonable standard.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2011 - 7:52PM #10
mytmouse57

Oct 26, 2011 -- 7:32AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Transgender is an interesting and unique issue.

I can only imagine the challenges of people who truly to feel they were born in the "wrong" body, so to speak. Many of those people do, later in life, decide to go ahead with sex-change surgery.

I've only known one such person. Born as a man, but in early adulthood became a woman. She seemed very happy with her decision.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 17  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook