Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What Do People Think About This?
3 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2011 - 2:39AM #1
Wanderingal

There are a lot of complaints/boycotts going on because an openly transgendered person is going to appear on a popular tv show in the US.

The groups areself-identified as conservative.

Do people agree that it is "shameful" to allow Chaz Bono who is well known fo having been bon female and well known for having a sex change operation and procedure to appear on tv where he'll be seen by "impressionable" American children?

Is America really this conservative politically that there isn o room for diversity?

And that Conservs feel self--righteous about proclaiming boycotts and making threats of violence?

www.nytimes.com

Moderated by rangerken on Sep 05, 2011 - 07:03PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2011 - 9:39AM #2
davelaw40

that some people are not comfortable with the way they are made and take drastic measures to change themselves?- good teaching moment

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2011 - 10:22AM #3
Father_Oblivion

Your link just goes to the NYT main page, I don't know where to go to in order to find the article you are talking about.

The important thing to remember about American history is that it is fictional, a charcoal-sketched simplicity for the children or the easily bored. For the most part it is uninspected, unimagined, unthought, a representative of the thing and not the thing itself. It is a fine fiction...
Neil Gaiman
'American Gods'

‎"Ignorance of ignorance, then, is that self-satisfied state of unawareness in which man, knowing nothing outside the limited area of his physical senses, bumptiously declares there is nothing more to know! He who knows no life save the physical is merely ignorant; but he who declares physical life to be all-important and elevates it to the position of supreme reality--such a one is ignorant of his own ignorance."
- Manly Palmer Hall
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2011 - 11:02AM #4
mecdukebec

There was an interesting discussion of this on the Red Letter Christian/Tony Campolo page on Facebook.  Folks, as I recall, were pretty unconstipated about this--and most of those folks are probably self-described conservative Chrisitians--with the proviso that they actually do get what Jesus meant by loving one's neighbour as oneself. 

That said, no, I would not be surprised that the hostile nature of conservativism these days, in its Kulturkampf mode, would be that hostile, and self-righteous. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2011 - 12:00PM #5
MMarcoe

Sep 5, 2011 -- 9:39AM, davelaw40 wrote:

that some people are not comfortable with the way they are made and take drastic measures to change themselves?- good teaching moment

No, it's that some people's brains are hardwired to read their bodies as the sex that they were not born as. It's a medical issue.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2011 - 12:45PM #6
davelaw40

Sep 5, 2011 -- 12:00PM, MMarcoe wrote:

No, it's that some people's brains are hardwired to read their bodies as the sex that they were not born as. It's a medical issue.

no, its much more like bulemia-its an image issue-they HATE the way they look

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2011 - 5:17PM #7
Ur2

Bulemia can be treated with therapy and medicine. Why didn't Chaz think of that instead of going through this mind-boggling cure(?). Maybe NOT making a spectacle of yourself really isn't the right way to go and NO points will have to be proven. Why not just a Documentary instead of the DWTS freakshow that it has long regressed to be? Oooooooo... I remember the hell Bristol Palin caught, and her Mom.

Thanx,

Ur2 

Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

"Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except it ain't so."
Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2011 - 5:39PM #8
Erey

i think it will put a more approachable face on transgendered.  Many people don't know a transgendered person or don't realize they know a transgendered person.  So for alot of people it is very odd and perhaps disturbing.  In my experience this kind of reaction is consistent across party lines and is far from the domain of one or the other party.  It seems to me that only those that are aquainted iwth transgendered people have developed a sense of ease. 

I could be imagining things but Chaz seems rather vunerable to me and I hope Chaz is doing the right thing for himself and can handle any negative reactions. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2011 - 5:48PM #9
Ur2

DWTS has become a clown show instead of Dancing. Since when is Chaz a Star? She/he's not a Pro Dancer, so why is she/he a Star? Where does she/he fit into this DWTS equation?

Thanx,

Ur2

Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

"Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except it ain't so."
Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2011 - 6:39PM #10
MMarcoe

Sep 5, 2011 -- 12:45PM, davelaw40 wrote:

Sep 5, 2011 -- 12:00PM, MMarcoe wrote:

no, its much more like bulemia-its an image issue-they HATE the way they look

No it isn't. It's not about image. There has been actual science done on this. There is a part of the brain whose job it is to read the body and assign it a sex. In transsexuals, that part of the brain reads the body as the opposite of what the genes express it as.

Other studies have looked at exposure to hormones in prenatal development.

Whatever the cause is, it's not simply about hating the way one looks. Transsexualism cuts across many more areas of a person's life.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook