Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Anti-gay fundaMENTALism strikes again
3 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2011 - 4:39PM #1
Do_unto_others
"On Monday, lawyers for Amber Yust — the 23-year-old transgendered woman who received a threatening letter from a San Francisco DMV employee last year — announced that Yust will receive a $55,000 settlement for her case, according to SFGate.

In October, Yust received a scathing, fire-and-brimstone letter from Thomas Demartini, the DMV clerk who had processed the sex change on her driver's license four days before. The letter informed her that her gender change was a "very evil decision" and that "the homosexual act is an abomination that leads straight to hell," according to SF Weekly.

According to Yust, Demartini expressed no objection to her application when she filed it in person at the Fell Street office. But days later, Yust received Demartini's letter at home, along with a DVD warning that homosexuals must be put to death from the Most Holy Family Monastery fundamentalist church."

More at link: www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/16/amber-...

Discuss.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2011 - 4:43PM #2
simonzur

Do unto,

I do not believe that homosexuality is a normal behaviour that should be publicly accepted in society, but I would like to hear your view on why it is and why it should be.

"The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp."~ The Revelation
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2011 - 4:52PM #3
mindis1

Aug 16, 2011 -- 4:43PM, simonzur wrote:

Do unto,

I do not believe that homosexuality is a normal behaviour that should be publicly accepted in society, but I would like to hear your view on why it is and why it should be.

What's "a normal behaviour"?  Define it.

And what does "should [not] be publicly accepted in society" mean?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2011 - 4:57PM #4
Do_unto_others

Do unto,

You are welcome to your beliefs, even if they are misinformed. But homosexuality is perfectly normal - for homosexual persons. Not everyone is heterosexual. And homosexuality abounds in ALL of nature.

Also, homosexuality is NOT a "behavior". It is the innate (and most scientists believe immutable) characteristic of being attracted to others of the same gender. Your attempt to dis-inform with this illogic is intolerable - because it is based in untruths.

Homosexuals most certainly should be "publicly accepted in society" since we, too, are citizens and participants in and contributors to society. (Despite TENAC's unfounded claims to the contrary on another board.)

Since you insist on confusing homosexuals, homosexuality and homosexual behavior, I don't believe I'll further dignify your insulting post with more of an answer.

Meanwhile, back to the actual topic ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2011 - 4:57PM #5
mecdukebec

You know, when one informs fundagelicals that the rabbis considered herterosexual fellatio to be "un-natural," they recoil and say, "That's not in 'God's Word' (TM, Protestants only, no Jews or Mooslims* or Mormons need apply!)!" -- But then, it's always someone else's ox's who being gored (to use a Levitical phrase), is it not? 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2011 - 5:15PM #6
simonzur

Aug 16, 2011 -- 4:57PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Do unto,

You are welcome to your beliefs, even if they are misinformed. But homosexuality is perfectly normal - for homosexual persons. Not everyone is heterosexual. And homosexuality abounds in ALL of nature.

Also, homosexuality is NOT a "behavior". It is the innate (and most scientists believe immutable) characteristic of being attracted to others of the same gender. Your attempt to dis-inform with this illogic is intolerable - because it is based in untruths.

Homosexuals most certainly should be "publicly accepted in society" since we, too, are citizens and participants in and contributors to society. (Despite TENAC's unfounded claims to the contrary on another board.)

Since you insist on confusing homosexuals, homosexuality and homosexual behavior, I don't believe I'll further dignify your insulting post with more of an answer.

Meanwhile, back to the actual topic ...

Two points.

1.  You say that my views are intolerable, why then should I be tolerant of yours?

2.  The above points to some sort of phobia for the views of others with whom you disagree.

Finally, what exactly was insulting about my post.  All I did was voice my opinion in a civil way. 

I had honestly hoped we could have a decent conversation on a subject that we disagree.  Apparently civil discussion is impossible.  What is left, but for me to be intolerant of you?

Unless of course you would like to revise your statements.  You see, you can't go around claiming to believe in the golden rule while your actions speak differently, at least not credibly among the very people that you want to accept your cause.  Try again.  Do better.

Moderated by Merope on Aug 16, 2011 - 09:37PM
"The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp."~ The Revelation
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2011 - 5:25PM #7
Father_Oblivion

Do unto,

That actually has nothing to do with the topic of the thread, which is in regard to a government employee using their ability to get information on a private citizen in order to express uninvited opinions and veiled threats upon that private citizen.

That this has escaped you is incredible!

The important thing to remember about American history is that it is fictional, a charcoal-sketched simplicity for the children or the easily bored. For the most part it is uninspected, unimagined, unthought, a representative of the thing and not the thing itself. It is a fine fiction...
Neil Gaiman
'American Gods'

‎"Ignorance of ignorance, then, is that self-satisfied state of unawareness in which man, knowing nothing outside the limited area of his physical senses, bumptiously declares there is nothing more to know! He who knows no life save the physical is merely ignorant; but he who declares physical life to be all-important and elevates it to the position of supreme reality--such a one is ignorant of his own ignorance."
- Manly Palmer Hall
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2011 - 5:36PM #8
watcher59

Here is why I think it should be;

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. —"

Add to this the subsequent ammendments that more broadly define who is protected.

If you object to homosexuality, don't participate in homosexual activity. Join Sunday morning social clubs that agree with you. Talk as much as you wish about how evil it is.

Be very cautious about whose Constitutional protections you deny. The day will come when someone will want to deny yours.

How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2011 - 5:39PM #9
Find1Answer

Do unto,

just don't write any letters simon and you won't get sued!

Bush's "de-Bathification program" eliminated all vestiges of Sunni power in Iraqi society and set the stage for the Sunni insurrection against American occupation and the new Shiite-led government. Bush disbanded the entire Sunni-dominated Iraqi Army and bureaucracy. He didn't change it. He didn't make it more inclusive of Shiites and Kurds. He just disbanded it. It is no accident that two of the top commanders of today's ISIL are former commanders in the Saddam-era Iraqi military.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2011 - 5:55PM #10
Father_Oblivion

Aug 16, 2011 -- 5:36PM, watcher59 wrote:

Here is why I think it should be;

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. —"

Add to this the subsequent ammendments that more broadly define who is protected.

If you object to homosexuality, don't participate in homosexual activity. Join Sunday morning social clubs that agree with you. Talk as much as you wish about how evil it is.

Be very cautious about whose Constitutional protections you deny. The day will come when someone will want to deny yours.

+1!

The important thing to remember about American history is that it is fictional, a charcoal-sketched simplicity for the children or the easily bored. For the most part it is uninspected, unimagined, unthought, a representative of the thing and not the thing itself. It is a fine fiction...
Neil Gaiman
'American Gods'

‎"Ignorance of ignorance, then, is that self-satisfied state of unawareness in which man, knowing nothing outside the limited area of his physical senses, bumptiously declares there is nothing more to know! He who knows no life save the physical is merely ignorant; but he who declares physical life to be all-important and elevates it to the position of supreme reality--such a one is ignorant of his own ignorance."
- Manly Palmer Hall
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook