Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Won't Someone Think Of The Children?
3 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2011 - 11:12PM #1
Do_unto_others

Census 2010: One-Quarter of Gay Couples Raising Children

"An estimated one-quarter of all same-sex households are raising children, according to U.S. Census data, providing one of the first portraits of gay American families.

For the first time ever, the census counts same-sex couples and their children, and as data trickles out state by state, more gay families are being tallied in the South.

Just last week, reports from Hawaii and Alabama -- two very different states geographically and socially -- revealed that 27 and 23 percent of same-sex couples were raising children, respectively, according to an analysis by the Williams Institute, a UCLA School of Law think tank that focuses on lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender issues.

Data released today on five more states showed that 28 percent of families in Wyoming are raising children. In California, the percentage is 21 percent; Delaware, 19 percent; Kansas, 26 percent; and Pennsylvania, 20 percent."

More at link: abcnews.go.com/Health/sex-couples-census...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2011 - 11:52PM #2
mountain_man

Aug 4, 2011 -- 11:12PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Census 2010: One-Quarter of Gay Couples Raising Children

Good. One well done study showed that kids raised by gay parents did BETTER in many areas when compared to kids raised by straight parents.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 12:24AM #3
rangerken

Children raised by loving parents, in a safe, secure and healthy home, tend to become good citizens. No, that's not a guarantee, just a huge probability. And damned if I can see whether it matters if Jonny or Janey has a mommy and daddy, two mommies, or two daddies as long as the love, care, support, and teaching by example are there!

And do keep in mind that I'm a Christian and a conservative!!!

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 12:45AM #4
Ebon

I'm with ranger on this one. The gender of the guardians doesn't really matter.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 8:58AM #5
TemplarS

You know, something strikes me here regarding Dave's comment about the kids often being better off.

Since gay couples cannot have children the usual way (with each other,at least) they usually must go to considerable effort and expense to have children.

So, perhaps, given this effort, they are more apt to uniformly appreciate what they have, and invest the required additional time and effort in their upbringing?   When you have to work hard for something, it's harder to take for granted...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 9:20AM #6
teilhard

Our Society has become waaaaay too narcissistic ... It's all about me-me-me ... Being with, taking care of, nurturing, Children takes a lot of Time and Energy ...

Aug 5, 2011 -- 12:24AM, rangerken wrote:

Children raised by loving parents, in a safe, secure and healthy home, tend to become good citizens. No, that's not a guarantee, just a huge probability. And damned if I can see whether it matters if Jonny or Janey has a mommy and daddy, two mommies, or two daddies as long as the love, care, support, and teaching by example are there!

And do keep in mind that I'm a Christian and a conservative!!!

Ken

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 12:51PM #7
mainecaptain

Aug 5, 2011 -- 8:58AM, TemplarS wrote:

You know, something strikes me here regarding Dave's comment about the kids often being better off.

Since gay couples cannot have children the usual way (with each other,at least) they usually must go to considerable effort and expense to have children.

So, perhaps, given this effort, they are more apt to uniformly appreciate what they have, and invest the required additional time and effort in their upbringing?   When you have to work hard for something, it's harder to take for granted...

I do think that is the case. They worked harder to become parents, and the children are not accidents, they were and are wanted, thus loved and well cared for.

And the parents in question probably had their emotions, finances and other things allin order before hand and were completely ready for children.

So same sex couples  do make excellent parents

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 5:18PM #8
Erey

Aug 5, 2011 -- 8:58AM, TemplarS wrote:

yes there is that, the deliberate effort in having children is probably an improvement over just letting life hit you with a bunch of children.  It is not rare to find a  household headed by a gay couple where one of the parents was at one time was in a relationship with a member of the opposite sex and at least gave birth to the children in a traditional way. 

IN my mind it is the children that are  probably the most urgent need for legal and binding gay marriage.  I can think of two different gay couples I know where they adopted or together choose to do the IVF  treatments to have children and then latter they split up.  Since only one parent is the legal parent it makes it hard and in some cases close to impossible for the other parent to stay involved. That is alot of heartache, to the losing parent.  If the child is old enough they experience the loss of the other parent.    Then there can also be the case of one of the parents removing their financial support because they are not the legal parent.

Heterosexual couples don't have to get married if they declare paternity it is sort of covered. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2011 - 6:56PM #9
mytmouse57

As has already been aluded to, the idea that gays can make "better" parents than straights is skewed by that fact that just about any and every straight person can become a parent, so the odds are far better that there will be more rotten parents in the mix on the hetroxesual side.

Whereas with gay parents, the odds are far greater you are going to find a representation of people who actually wanted to be parents, and had to work extra hard at it -- in order to qualify for adoption, for example.

So, it's not really so much a question of actual quality, as it is of odds.

I've no doubt gays can and do make good parents. I've seen it with my own eyes.  Just as I've seen plenty of perfectly horrible straight parents.  However, the "all thing are relative and equal" mentality sort of sticks its head in the sand regarding three very hard realities.

The biological parent-child bond.

The importance of an opposite-gender parent.

The differences between men and women.

One, and only one, relationship offers all three of those things to a child/children -- a happily married, man-woman couple raising their own biological children together.

And, I would add to that, as part of an extended family network. The idea of an isolated so-called "nuclear" family is a failed model. Child-rearing is too much for a couple to handle alone. The extended family/clan/tribe helps mitigate that stress and give children a much wider support network.

All other models compensate for the three afore mentioned things in one way or another. But to say that any other arrangement can ever equal it is just plain foolish, and the result of adults putting their perceptions ahead of the real needs of children.

And just to remind those who don't already know, nearly all of my children are adopted/step children. I am the biological parent of one of them, my wife is the biological parent of some of the others, one is the biological child of neither of us, and none are the biological children of both of us.

And yet, I can still recognize the inate superiority of the family model based upon married, biological, opposite-sex parents, and not feel the least bit threatened by it. I don't feel the need to get defensive over or feel slighted by simple, hard, undeniable facts.

As long as our society continues to recognize the value of the biological family -- at the core of an extended family -- being the ideal and absolute best for children, then I have no problem with gay families. Just as I have no problem with adoptive/step/blended familes (as I am in one, after all), or any other alternative imaginable.

But, when people try to deny reality, and say the sky is purple just to make adults feel better for themselves -- at the expense of what really is best for children -- then that's where I get off the bus.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2011 - 7:12PM #10
karbie

I agree that the safety and the security of the children should come first. At the very least there should be a legal partnership that states that the custody of  an adopted child would belong to the surviving parent. It doesn't matter if the child was adopted by heterosexual parents, homosexual parents,or from a previous relationship. The last thing a child needs is to be torn from their home and someone they love.

Up until their marriage, my cousin's little boy called him by his first name. As soon as the adoption went through, it was part of their wedding vows and their son couldn't miss an opportunity to use the word "Dad". He has the same last name as his little sisters and it was amazing seeing how his confidence level grew.

I don't have a problem with gay marriages or adoptions. The important thing is that a child who didn't have a home gets to grow up with loving, nurturing parents and the security of knowing that they were wanted. The children raised by homosexual parents will grow up with one less prejudice pounded in their heads; they will know that the only thing that counts is who a person is, not what their sexual preference is. It's certainly a step in the right direction.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook