Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Switch to Forum Live View Won't Someone Think Of The Children?
3 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2011 - 1:48PM #61
mytmouse57

"Conservatives" (actually right-wingers) and "Liberals" (actually left-wingers), make plenty of noise and get press these days. It has little, if anything, to do with classic conservative or liberal ideas. It makes it look as if the nation is extremely polarized. And in some ways, it might be.

But, as always, the vast majority of people fall somewhere in the reasonable middle. That's as true of religion as in politics.

As a very sharp person in my neck of the woods once said, "I'm as conservative as can be, when it makes sense, and liberal as can be, when that makes sense."

Most people have a live-and-let live approach to things, and that certainly applies to gay issues.

What's wearisome to many people is one side telling them gays are trying to take over the world, and the other side telling them that if they don't deny fundamental realities, then they're being "hateful."

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2011 - 2:21PM #62
pagan_princess

Aug 21, 2011 -- 1:48PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

What's wearisome to many people is one side telling them gays are trying to take over the world, and the other side telling them that if they don't deny fundamental realities, then they're being "hateful."

I agree.  And it's nothing new.  I can remember this same dialogue going on for at least 50 years.

Unfortunately it is this dialogue that candidates count on to win votes.  Voters today are as fed up with it as I have ever seen them.  I think the Internet is the big game changer.  Even twenty years ago politicians could still lie about something and have a pretty good chance of no one finding out.  Today, someone will find out and put it on YouTube!  The power is slowly going back where it belongs - to the people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2011 - 2:43PM #63
mountain_man

Aug 21, 2011 -- 1:48PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

"Conservatives" (actually right-wingers) and "Liberals" (actually left-wingers), make plenty of noise and get press these days. It has little, if anything, to do with classic conservative or liberal ideas. ..

If you have to start a posting with something that is not true, how can the rest of the post be worth reading?

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2011 - 11:34AM #64
rangerken

This thread was moved to the Hot Topics Zone

Conservative, Libertarian, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement