Post Reply
Page 1 of 26  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Changing Orientations
3 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2011 - 12:30PM #1
Erey
Posts: 18,940
This is interesting, I would like it if some of you could watch this video

www.towleroad.com/2011/07/bennett.html

If I knew of a text version of this interview I would link that instead.  This is an interview done by Joy Behar on a man who claims he is a reformed homosexual.  The man says people don't choose to be gay and he did not choose to be gay but he did choose to be heterosexual. 


There is someone else briefly in the interview from a gay advocacy group that says - well maybe this former gay man did not have biological proclivities to homosexuality??  And people have the right to change what they want about themselves.  the message is now out there that all gay men are biologicaly wired.  A assertion I reject.  I don't think all gay men are biologicaly wired that way.  I do believe that some are. 


I do think as adults it is our responsibility to be accepting of people who are making what is purely a lifestyle choice.  Gay or gender issues should be accepted. 

However it did resonate with me when the wife said - hey we have all kinds of celebration in our society over people being gay over Chaz Bono getting a sex change opperation, people taking hormones, etc.  Why is someone working to change their sexual orientation now a bad thing or a suspicious thing?  Why can't if someone truly wants to change their sexual orientation get the support to do that?


Frankly, I can see where someone might prefer to be heterosexual and to raise a family in a heterosexual relationship.  Afterall, that is how most of us were raised. 
              
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2011 - 12:32PM #2
Christianlib
Posts: 21,848

Ah, recorded bigotry.  I'll pass, thank you. I get to witness enough bigotry without choosing to click on it.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2011 - 12:38PM #3
Erey
Posts: 18,940

OK ChristianLib,


So a straight man can choose to be Gay and we have all seen straight men do that.  But a gay man can't ever make a change?


 


I reject that.  We are all capable of a variety of different things.


I don't think every gay man can be a straight man or viceaversa but you know the heart wants what it wants and if the heart wants heterosexuality why not?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2011 - 12:41PM #4
amcolph
Posts: 17,670

Jul 21, 2011 -- 12:30PM, Erey wrote:

However it did resonate with me when the wife said - hey we have all kinds of celebration in our society over people being gay over Chaz Bono getting a sex change opperation, people taking hormones, etc.  Why is someone working to change their sexual orientation now a bad thing or a suspicious thing?  Why can't if someone truly wants to change their sexual orientation get the support to do that?


              



In itself it is not.  What is suspicious and bad is the preaching that one particular sexual orientation is always an evil choice and is subject to an eternity of agonizing punishment.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2011 - 12:47PM #5
Erey
Posts: 18,940

Jul 21, 2011 -- 12:41PM, amcolph wrote:


Jul 21, 2011 -- 12:30PM, Erey wrote:

However it did resonate with me when the wife said - hey we have all kinds of celebration in our society over people being gay over Chaz Bono getting a sex change opperation, people taking hormones, etc.  Why is someone working to change their sexual orientation now a bad thing or a suspicious thing?  Why can't if someone truly wants to change their sexual orientation get the support to do that?


              



In itself it is not.  What is suspicious and bad is the preaching that one particular sexual orientation is always an evil choice and is subject to an eternity of agonizing punishment.




OK so someone could get support for choosing heterosexuality as long as the preaching was good and there were no threats of hell? 


For the record this man does not mention hell, he just mentions being miserable as the person that he was, gay and a drug addict and living a promiscuous lifestyle.  Granted he wanted God but it seems to me he also wanted a more wholesome lifestyle.  In his experience the gay community perhaps did not offer him a wholesome lifestyle.    I do know gays that have a more or less wholesome lifestyle but they all kind of went throught that period when they were younger where they felt beat up and used I guess by the gay community they were in. 


 


It is just a thought, can some of you support and accept someone who  truly seems to believe they would be happier as a heterosexual?  Is that too weird for you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2011 - 1:14PM #6
Jasr
Posts: 11,790

Jul 21, 2011 -- 12:47PM, Erey wrote:


It is just a thought, can some of you support and accept someone who  truly seems to believe they would be happier as a heterosexual?  Is that too weird for you?





Why would such a person need my support? There is no lack of resources or support available to a person wanting to live as a "straight," whatever his or her motivations were.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2011 - 1:16PM #7
amcolph
Posts: 17,670

Jul 21, 2011 -- 12:47PM, Erey wrote:


OK so someone could get support for choosing heterosexuality as long as the preaching was good and there were no threats of hell? 


 


It is just a thought, can some of you support and accept someone who  truly seems to believe they would be happier as a heterosexual?  Is that too weird for you?




Of course not.  Human psychosexuality is a complex thing and who's to say how it plays out in any one individual?  Gay/straight is a continuum, not a dichotomy.


Fundamentalist preaching on the subject, however, is blatantly fraudulent.



This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2011 - 1:18PM #8
Erey
Posts: 18,940

Jul 21, 2011 -- 1:14PM, Jasr wrote:


Jul 21, 2011 -- 12:47PM, Erey wrote:


It is just a thought, can some of you support and accept someone who  truly seems to believe they would be happier as a heterosexual?  Is that too weird for you?





Why would such a person need my support? There is no lack of resources or support available to a person wanting to live as a "straight," whatever his or her motivations were.




I disagree,


I think if someone indentified themselves as gay wanted to change that, there would be alot of suspicion and derision of that choice. We saw it here in this very thread!   Most especialy if they wanted also reform their spiritual life in the process. 


 


I think we should support people who have well thought out reasons for changing their gender (not a decision to be whimsical about) or people that are declaring themselves to be homosexual or what have you.  I think we should also support folks that were gay but then felt it was not for them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2011 - 1:23PM #9
Erey
Posts: 18,940

Jul 21, 2011 -- 1:16PM, amcolph wrote:


Jul 21, 2011 -- 12:47PM, Erey wrote:


OK so someone could get support for choosing heterosexuality as long as the preaching was good and there were no threats of hell? 


 


It is just a thought, can some of you support and accept someone who  truly seems to believe they would be happier as a heterosexual?  Is that too weird for you?




Of course not.  Human psychosexuality is a complex thing and who's to say how it plays out in any one individual?  Gay/straight is a continuum, not a dichotomy.


Fundamentalist preaching on the subject, however, is blatantly fraudulent.






I will agree with the whole gay/hell idea.  But there is also a fundamentalism in secular culture that a person who is gay is hard wired and cannot be anything other than that.  Basically the gay folks have no choice in the matter.  I reject that.  I think we lock people into any alternative sexuality but those with mainstream heterosexuality are allowed to have fluidity.  Once you are gay you are always gay, once you are bi you are always bi.  But if you are heterosexual, well...... you can play around a little bit and go back to being heterosexual. 


So I agree with it all being more complex and we use alot of lables that dont really have a biological or psycological basis. 


 


for the record, I do know a few women that were out lesbians, identified as lesbians for years and then towards the latter 30's became commited heterosexuals.  Not very many but a few.  I don't know any gay men that fit that bill however.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2011 - 1:26PM #10
rabello
Posts: 21,661

The assumptions that form the basis of the assertion are part of the problem, and undermine the courage it takes for those who are "different" to, first, accept that they are "different," and second, to live freely with being "different."   Everybody "believes" they'd be "happier" if they fit the "norm" and were not subject to scorn, ridicule, prejudice and discrmination.   One would assume those adolescents and yound adults who have committed suicide after being repeatly bullied for "being gay" "believed" they'd be happier if they "fit in" with the "norm."   Conversely, I doubt there is any heterosexual who "decided" to live a "gay lifestyle."    The assumption that being gay is a "choice" is cruel, especially as we witness a significant increase in teen suicides in the modern world precisely for that lack of "choice."

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 26  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook