3 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 11:10AM #1
IreneAdler

Okay Gov. Brown, put it out there.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43659003/ns/local_n...

This California bill will call for including LGBT folks in classroom instruction in history class and in
textbooks.

I say – It’s about time. Past time really.

I used to think all of history was about white folks-mostly male too.  And the only good contributions to society were made by white folks.  What does that make a person think if they are not white? That what they do is no good to anyone? 

Takes all kinds to create history and to participate in society; should include all kinds in the history books too.  

(being in Ca I haven't heard much hollering about this one-yet) 

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 12:35PM #2
Ken

Jul 7, 2011 -- 11:10AM, IreneAdler wrote:

Okay Gov. Brown, put it out there.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43659003/ns/local_n...

This California bill will call for including LGBT folks in classroom instruction in history class and in
textbooks.

They were already included. They just weren't identified as such. For example, we were told that Buchanan was the only unmarried president, but we weren't told why.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 5:22PM #3
REteach

I agree.  Let's be honest about who all went into building our civilization. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2011 - 3:30PM #4
Do_unto_others

And then there's that little 'omission' as to what went on in Lincoln's log cabin.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2011 - 3:33PM #5
Do_unto_others

I wonder if literature teachers are even allowed to mention that Walt Whitman was gay? Or that Gertrude Stein was a lesbian? Or that Oscar Wilde was gay?

Can art teachers tell the truth about Michaelangelo?

Can history teachers mention Richard the Lion Heart's sexual orientation? Or Alexander the Great's?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2011 - 12:59PM #6
TPaine

Jul 12, 2011 -- 3:33PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

I wonder if literature teachers are even allowed to mention that Walt Whitman was gay? Or that Gertrude Stein was a lesbian? Or that Oscar Wilde was gay?

Can art teachers tell the truth about Michaelangelo?

Can history teachers mention Richard the Lion Heart's sexual orientation? Or Alexander the Great's?

DUO,

Don't forget King James I of Great Britain. You know, the guy who proposed the 1611 Authorized Version of the Holy Bible. Link

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 14, 2011 - 11:47AM #7
Do_unto_others

Oh I would never forget him. In fact, I oftern refer to it as the Queen James Version - though some people (who don't seem to appreciate irony OR humour) called me homophobic for it.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook