Page 2 of 14  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why Is a Man and Woman No Longer the Symbol of Marriage Equality?
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 9:26PM #11
DGMelby

Jun 25, 2011 -- 8:27PM, Ur2 wrote:

I can find NO human civilization, NO Major Religion, NO prehistoric belief, NO Out-of-Africa migration of our species that supports Gay Marriage. NO cave paintings to support it. Nothing. It is biologically ineffective as a means of reproduction and sustaining the species in the Natural World. If we never had a soul from which to support ourselves as the higher species, what does Gay Marriage Solve besides what we have contrived?

Don't tell me that bugs do it and seahorses do it. Leave them out. Speak purely on human terms.

What is the Purpose of Gay Marriage? How will it advance our species? Or is it really just for money?    

Thanx,

Ur2   

Why oppose slavery?  It has, after all, has been the primary labor institution for most of human history.

Why oppose the death penalty?  It has, after all, been the primary punishment for most of human history.

Why oppose female subjugation?  It has, after all, been women's primary role in a relationship for most of human history.

Why correct any ancient injustice, that has been around for thousands of years?  Because it's the right thing to do.

Nobody's ever explained to me how gay marriage, in any way, hurts heterosexuals.  How does guaranteeing that someone's partner is allowed to visit them in the hospital, when they are sick, and scared, and in need of comforting from the one they love, ruin a heterosexual marriage?  How does guaranteeing that someone's partner is provided for, or their children, for that matter, should the worst happen, cause a heterosexual couple to divorce?  How does guaranteeing that one's partner, and their children, will have access to the other's benefits, stop heterosexuals from marrying?  How is allowing the State to recognize a union that can be performed before family and God a bad thing?

There is only one reason to deny homosexuals the right to marry.  To persecute them.  To tell them, "You aren't good enough."  To heap upon them indignity upon indignity, to deny them comfort, to ignore their final wishes, and to hurt them economically.  To hurt them emotionally, because its no longer legal to hurt them physically.

edit:

Oh, and one more thing... you can say the exact same thing about an infertile heterosexual couple.  Or a heterosexual couple who choose not to have children.  Or a heterosexual couple who are older than child bearing years.

It's funny... nobody has ever said that two sixty-something year olds shouldn't marry, simply because the marriage won't be adding to the next generation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 9:27PM #12
jonny42

Jun 25, 2011 -- 9:22PM, Christianlib wrote:

Jun 25, 2011 -- 9:18PM, jonny42 wrote:

I can find NO human civilization, NO Major Religion, NO prehistoric belief, NO Out-of-Africa migration of our species that supports Gay Marriage. NO cave paintings to support it. Nothing. It is biologically ineffective as a means of reproduction and sustaining the species in the Natural World. If we never had a soul from which to support ourselves as the higher species, what does Gay Marriage Solve besides what we have contrived?

Don't tell me that bugs do it and seahorses do it. Leave them out. Speak purely on human terms.

What is the Purpose of Gay Marriage? How will it advance our species? Or is it really just for money?    

Thanx,

Ur2   

Get ready for incestuous relationships and polygamy being honored as marriage under the blanket of "marriage equality."  

What's to stop those laws from being changed?

"It's okay for family reunions among consenting adults to become wedding anniversaries/orgies, and honored by our government.  What harm can it do?  It would be a good thing, something to celebrate as progress over bigotry."

Oh, Bullshit.  Same old tired arguments.

You have no defense.  If you say that those relationships should not be granted marriage status, you are practicing the very thing that those who are against same sex marriage are accused of.

What is your defense of, say, a father marrying his two sons and his brother?  It's not natural?  It's sick and wrong?    

"No, you can believe that those relationships aren't worthy of marriage status and not be a bigot.  But if you think that same-sex couples shouldn't marry… that is bigotry."

Moderated by Merope on Jun 26, 2011 - 02:36PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 9:33PM #13
Christianlib

Jun 25, 2011 -- 9:27PM, jonny42 wrote:

Thanx,

Ur2   

Get ready for incestuous relationships and polygamy being honored as marriage under the blanket of "marriage equality."  

"It's okay for family reunions among consenting adults to become wedding anniversaries/orgies, and honored by our government.  What harm can it do?  It would be a good thing, something to celebrate as progress over bigotry."

You have no defense.  If you say that those relationships should not be granted marriage status, you are practicing the very thing that those who are against same sex marriage are accused of.

What is your defense of, say, a father marrying his two sons and his brother?  It's not natural?  It's sick and wrong?    

I have the defense of reason.

Moderated by Merope on Jun 26, 2011 - 02:36PM
Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 9:33PM #14
Ur2

CL,

I'm going to challenge you on your claims of bigotry. We'd like this discussion to go beyond one-liners.

Thanx,

Ur2 

Moderated by Merope on Jun 26, 2011 - 02:34PM
Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

"Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except it ain't so."
Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 9:36PM #15
jonny42

Jun 25, 2011 -- 9:33PM, Christianlib wrote:

Jun 25, 2011 -- 9:27PM, jonny42 wrote:

Thanx,

Ur2   

I have the defense of reason.

What is your "reason" against a consenting dad, two adult sons, and an uncle being granted marriage status?

It's sick and wrong?  It's not natural?  It's not traditional?   

"Um, yeah, it is.  Uh-oh. That's what those who are opposed to same sex marriage are saying, too.  I better not say the same thing.  Hmm.  Well, since I don't have any reason that's any different, I'll just swear and call it the same old tired arguments from the bogots.  That's my "reasoned" defense." 

Moderated by Merope on Jun 26, 2011 - 02:37PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 10:09PM #16
Merope

This thread was moved from US News & Politics.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 11:21PM #17
JohnQ

Thanx,

Ur2   

First, it would appear you did not do a very thorough job researching religions.  Jews have been performing same-gender marriage ceremonies for decades....as have the Episcopalians.  Currently, Unitarians and United Church of Christ also perform same-gender marriages to name a couple.  Of course not all marriages are religiously based.  Justices of the Peace, Judges, Captains, etc also perform same-gender marriages.

Second, Gay Marriage serves the same purpose straight marriages do.  A way to tell others to keep your hands off....this one belongs to me.  As well as stability.  And, inheritance.  A framework within which to raise children.  And so forth.

Peace!                 
------

Christian LIES wed Christian HATE......Begot a child....it’s named Prop 8! 

Supreme Court let it stand.....which means we can vote away the rights of others in our land.

Sad as that may be...it hurts all of us.....not just me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 11:24PM #18
JohnQ

Thanx,

Ur2   

Perhaps you should rethink your reasoning......or, at least reread you post....it makes little sense.

Besides the OT of the Holy Bible, do you have any evidence to support your assertion that incestuous relationships will be honored as marriage under the blanket of "marriage equality"?

Peace!                 
------

Christian LIES wed Christian HATE......Begot a child....it’s named Prop 8! 

Supreme Court let it stand.....which means we can vote away the rights of others in our land.

Sad as that may be...it hurts all of us.....not just me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2011 - 12:39AM #19
Mostyn32

Jun 25, 2011 -- 9:19PM, Ur2 wrote:

What about the "ALL of Us" as a species before this?

In the 200,000 years since our species appeared on earth, there hasn't really been an 'ALL of Us'. Depending on which part of the world  Homo Sapiens found themselves in, they evolved differently, adapting physically to their surroundings and climate and creating different cultures, languages, traditions, etc.

Does this judgemental, clerical decision change everything about the Human Species before this time?

Define 'everything about the human species'?

Were the Neanderthals wrong?

Considering that the last Neanderthals disappeared some 30,000 years ago, leaving behind no written or pictorial records, we know very little about them, and we definitely don't know whether or not they were right or wrong about anything. Heck, we didn't even know that there had been Neanderthals, classified as a subspecies of human, until some of their bones were dug up in the Neander Valley in the 18th century.  

What... other than the signature on a piece of paper supports this? Does this signature or decision  defy the reasoning of Male and Female?

There is reasoning to support the fact that there are two genders? Would you extrapolate on this, please? What about people who are neither one or the other?

Is this the Natural Order of Humans?

What is the 'Natural Order of Humans', in your opinion? 

Or are we truly nothing but starfish and bugs?

Of course not. They are separate species (although it would be great if our species had the same ability as starfish to engender new body parts to replace those lost). We are all, however, part of the animal kingdom. Humans are in the Class Mammalia, Order Primates, Genus Homo, Species Sapiens. Homosexuals exist in all species, not just starfish and bugs.  

I think not.

Exactly!

Thanx,

You're welcome.

Ur2

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2011 - 1:09PM #20
Ken

Jun 25, 2011 -- 9:33PM, Ur2 wrote:

CL,

I'm going to challenge you on your claims of bigotry.

No, you're not. You're just going to spout more of it.

Moderated by Merope on Jun 26, 2011 - 02:38PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 14  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook