Post Reply
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The "Christian" Attitude
3 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2011 - 2:18PM #31
TPaine
Posts: 9,430

I agree with Voice Crying that it is wrong to paint all Christians with the same brush. Saying that all Christians are homophobes is as ridiculous as saying that all Muslims are terroists or all Jewish people are stingy and greedy.


However the pool worker who claimed that the Bible allowed him to force Gays to leave the premises had no understanding of American law. The United States Constitution as amended, not the Bible, is the supreme law of the land. This is a secular republic, not a theocracy. Discrimination is prohibited by the due process and equal protection clauses of the 14th Amendment. IMO, the worker who forced the people to leave should be fired.

"War is a racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives." -- General Smedley Butler: War is a Racket (1935)

"War is mankind's most tragic and stupid folly; to seek or advise its deliberate provocation is a black crime against all men. Though you follow the trade of the warrior, you do so in the spirit of Washington — not of Genghis Khan. For Americans, only threat to our way of life justifies resort to conflict." - General of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower: Graduation Exercises at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, USA at 3 June 1947
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2011 - 1:29AM #32
Yavanna
Posts: 3,149

Jun 16, 2011 -- 6:06PM, mainecaptain wrote:


Jun 16, 2011 -- 5:52PM, voice-crying wrote:


Real Christians don't discriminate against anyone. 




in fact this statement shows discrimination





+1 MC

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2011 - 1:31AM #33
Yavanna
Posts: 3,149

Jun 16, 2011 -- 7:15PM, geologist wrote:


There are idiots and hateful people everywhere.  Some call themselves Christian, but that doesn't mean they are.   And being a Christian doesn't mean you are not a sinner.  No one is free of sin.  No one.   The vast majority of the Christians I know recognize that they are sinners, repent of those sins, ask God for forgiveness and try to live better lives.  





It's usually one set of Christians that determines when another set of Christians isn't Christian. It gets a little confusing.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2011 - 12:08PM #34
Do_unto_others
Posts: 9,157

Jun 16, 2011 -- 6:03PM, Ur2 wrote:


duo,


The man is obviously incorrect that what he was doing was Biblical.



As so many other "Christians" are "INCORRECT" regarding what is actually in the Bible and what isn't.


Jun 16, 2011 -- 6:03PM, Ur2 wrote:

He never said he was a Christian.



But he DID quote the Bible. Do you think perhaps he was Jewish?


And the fact that the town is in a "storm of protest" over this issue, which you ignored to post and it was in fact the opening line of the article... the following statement is without merit: "A perfect reason to love the "Christian" but hate the "Christianity". Haters the lot of 'em."


As a Christian, I take this as a personal insult against Christians and Christianity.


Thanx,


Ur2





As a Christian, I find most of what you post to be equally un-Christian. If you're offended or insulted, TOUGH. I see too much of hate in actions like this (and in what you post) to be worried about YOUR thin skin.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2011 - 12:09PM #35
Do_unto_others
Posts: 9,157

Jun 16, 2011 -- 6:06PM, mainecaptain wrote:


Jun 16, 2011 -- 5:52PM, voice-crying wrote:


Real Christians don't discriminate against anyone. 




in fact this statement shows discrimination





Indeed it does. I wish someone would give us the exact, precise list of just who is and who is NOT a "real Christian". It would save us a lot of time and trouble.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2011 - 12:16PM #36
Do_unto_others
Posts: 9,157

Jun 16, 2011 -- 6:22PM, Ur2 wrote:


mec,


In your research on this subject, did you happen to notice anything about about the "rest of the people there being aware of these good people and their handicaps." If I had me children or grandchildren or great granchildren at a public pool and people did as you describe, I would have a problem with people being "affectionate in public with children around" also. You appear to be looking down at people that you aren't truly aware of nor the situation, and you probably could care less. Getting your Liberal-wing-nut point across is more important. The heck with whom you're speaking of.


To wit: "Was it also a "whites only" pool?"


Thanx,


Ur2





Your "problem" with mentally challenged people (gay OR str8) "being affectionate in publice with children around" is just that - YOUR problem (and appaerently, this "problem" is shared by "Christian-lite" folk who are 'Bible-believers'. It may not have been a "whites only" pool, but in America in the 21ast century, it can obviously be designated - at whim, and 'per the Bible'  - a "str8s only" pool. All gays who enter must be neutered at the door - even those with the mentality of a child.


 


Be healed.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2011 - 4:14PM #37
Mostyn32
Posts: 2,941

Jun 18, 2011 -- 2:18PM, TPaine wrote:


I agree with Voice Crying that it is wrong to paint all Christians with the same brush. Saying that all Christians are homophobes is as ridiculous as saying that all Muslims are terroists or all Jewish people are stingy and greedy.


However the pool worker who claimed that the Bible allowed him to force Gays to leave the premises had no understanding of American law. The United States Constitution as amended, not the Bible, is the supreme law of the land. This is a secular republic, not a theocracy. Discrimination is prohibited by the due process and equal protection clauses of the 14th Amendment. IMO, the worker who forced the people to leave should be fired.





Tpaine, I agree with everything you said in your post (especially that the pool worker should be fired summarily), although I would add that the pool worker not only knows nothing about the 14th Amendment and American law, he doesn't know his Bible either.


The Bible has nothing to say about gender orientation, but there are several warnings against engaging in the temple prostitution practices engaged in by non-Jews. Biblical literalists have translated these passages as anti-LGBT because they lack the understanding and scholarship to appreciate the difference between love and lust. That's what happens when one engages in the dangerous practice of reading only what is written and not reading it in context.  

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2011 - 4:55PM #38
darcamani2
Posts: 48

How can one determine sexual orientation  by outword gentle displays of affection  and who died loving brothers? "Brethren"?


At least 12 of them?  Jesus, the non christian.


I have kin who are deeply disabled and very affectionate, they can't read a bible, does that mean they can't hug and love?


Does this mean they can only be a real christian if they are able, straight and act like a bully?


Answer that!


Dar


 


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2011 - 9:54AM #39
Bob_the_Lunatic
Posts: 3,458

People can rewrite the bible all they want to feel warm and cushy-but the fact remains that the book is so poorly written that any behavior can use it as justification.  The failure is NOT on the part of the reader but rather on the book itself-which is among the lowest philosophical doctrines on the planet.


On the path of humanity, it will be a great day when the bible is put aside for superior books on human ethics-like "Go, Dog, Go!" or "Aesop's Fables."


The bible IS to blame, not this guy's interpretation of it.  People don't commit stupid acts, people with stupid ideas based on stupid books commit stupid acts.  If any book should be burned, that is the book lol.  No other book has had near the ill effects on humanity that the bible has had.  Nearly every injustice I've seen has been endorsed by the bible.  Now we can't go burning books... due to the hypocrisy, but I do hope folks continue to wake up and realize that book is outdated, below us as human beings and serves more harm than hope to humanity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2011 - 3:40AM #40
Yavanna
Posts: 3,149

Aug 23, 2011 -- 9:54AM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:


People can rewrite the bible all they want to feel warm and cushy-but the fact remains that the book is so poorly written that any behavior can use it as justification.  The failure is NOT on the part of the reader but rather on the book itself-which is among the lowest philosophical doctrines on the planet.


On the path of humanity, it will be a great day when the bible is put aside for superior books on human ethics-like "Go, Dog, Go!" or "Aesop's Fables."


The bible IS to blame, not this guy's interpretation of it.  People don't commit stupid acts, people with stupid ideas based on stupid books commit stupid acts.  If any book should be burned, that is the book lol.  No other book has had near the ill effects on humanity that the bible has had.  Nearly every injustice I've seen has been endorsed by the bible.  Now we can't go burning books... due to the hypocrisy, but I do hope folks continue to wake up and realize that book is outdated, below us as human beings and serves more harm than hope to humanity.




 


Well that's more than a little biased, unfair and over the top...

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook