Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The "Christian" Attitude
3 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2011 - 8:18PM #21
voice-crying

Jun 16, 2011 -- 7:45PM, costrel wrote:

Jun 16, 2011 -- 5:52PM, voice-crying wrote:

Real Christians don't discriminate against anyone. 

If that's the case, then all of those damn traitorous Southerners who left the Union and created the treasonous and despicable Confederate States of America and who wanted to continue owning slaves were not Christians.

Some of them were (real christians). 

They did what their ancestors taught their parents to do.  If they had read: Exodus 21:16 they would have known better.  Even now...no one wants to pay for service. 

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2011 - 8:26PM #22
Mlyons619

You mean Southerners like Geoge Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Patrict Henry?

Yup, treacherous Southern scum, eh?  Rebelled against their king AND were slaveowners.

Oops, they were DEISTS and not really Christians...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2011 - 8:26PM #23
Ur2

Amazing Grace

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace

Thanx,

Ur2

Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

"Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except it ain't so."
Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2011 - 8:27PM #24
Ur2

Being anti-Southern is bigotry and FoS.

Thanx,

Ur2

Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

"Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except it ain't so."
Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2011 - 8:35PM #25
REteach

In March one of the psychologists with whom I work and I went to a meeting of the local developmental disability nursing association.  We were having a discussion about sexuality and disabilities.

Basically, probably most people seem to think that if you have an intellectual disability, you shouldn't be allowed to be a sexual adult human being.  Having a "girlfriend" or "boyfriend" might be OK if all they do is hold hands.  Kissing is probably pushing it--and I am talking heterosexual here. 

Many of these people end up in group homes where all the residents may be one gender.  The only way it may even be possible to be close to someone is same-sex, which certainly does not mean they are gay. OTOH, just because a person has an intellectual (or physical) disability does not mean they may not be gay.  However, the strictures we "typically developing" people put on those with disabilities is truly problematic.

OK.  Kicking guys with an ID out of the pool because some homophobic self-righteous pharisee wannabe was working there is not only socially inept, it is not in keeping with the teachings of Jesus.  Talking to the group home staff about the "Circles" program (what kind of public displays of affection are appropriate for what people in what context) might have been appropriate IF the same standards were in place for male/female couples engaging in the same behavior.

My patients have enough troubles in their lives without having to deal with this kind of thing.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2011 - 8:52PM #26
Merope

This thread was moved from US News & Politics.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2011 - 10:10PM #27
Do_unto_others

I think the move here was unfortunate. This is blazing hot NEWS across the media. Here it dies an ignominious death after -what? - a few hours? Unfair, Merope. Unfair.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2011 - 10:45PM #28
costrel

Jun 16, 2011 -- 8:27PM, Ur2 wrote:

Being anti-Southern is bigotry and FoS.

Thanx,

Ur2

Don't know what "FoS" means and don't care. And I'm not anti-Southern. Notice I was talking about the treasonous Southerners who left the Union -- nearly 150 years ago. So far as I know, none of them are still alive and the South is currently part of the Union. So where's the bigotry? I don't see any.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2011 - 10:47PM #29
costrel

Jun 16, 2011 -- 8:18PM, voice-crying wrote:

They did what their ancestors taught their parents to do.  If they had read: Exodus 21:16 they would have known better.  Even now...no one wants to pay for service. 

You really don't think all of those Southern Protestants read and knew their Bibles? Now if they were Catholics, I might agree with you that they were relatively ignorant of Scripture. But not Protestants. I'm sure some of them read their Exodus and it didn't sway them to think or behave differently.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2011 - 7:57AM #30
voice-crying

Jun 16, 2011 -- 10:47PM, costrel wrote:

Jun 16, 2011 -- 8:18PM, voice-crying wrote:

You really don't think all of those Southern Protestants read and knew their Bibles?

Anybody can read the Bible. Reading with understanding [knowing] how to rightly divide the passages [is the hard part].  If the reader is leaning on their own understanding or the understanding of a group leader it can cause more division and babel.  (The Holy Spirit is the teacher.)  

Jun 16, 2011 -- 10:47PM, costrel wrote:

Now if they were Catholics, I might agree with you that they were relatively ignorant of Scripture. But not Protestants. I'm sure some of them read their Exodus and it didn't sway them to think or behave differently.

People have a way of justifing what is in their heart.  If you devalue certain people...let's say gays, you can (if you don't listen to your conscience) decide that they don't deserve equality because they live their lives out in the open instead of hiding their actions; they are not trying to fool the world (or God).  An example is: when Africans were brought here in chains and treated worst than the slavers animals (until the wee hours of the night).  The slavers justified their bad acts by treating the ones who became christians better than those who did not.  Apparently the slavers didn't know or did not understand the Bible...God wants us to freely accept HIM. 

IMO, people should judge Christians by their/our personal actions not as a whole.  We won't be whole/the Church/the body of Christ as long as we are mere mortals.  We have to live on this earth (for the time being) with a self imposed label [Christian].  We're not special...we don't think we are special...we know that we are sinners (like everyone else).

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook