Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View The "Christian" Attitude
3 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2011 - 5:24AM #41
Bob_the_Lunatic

Aug 24, 2011 -- 3:40AM, Yavanna wrote:

Aug 23, 2011 -- 9:54AM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

People can rewrite the bible all they want to feel warm and cushy-but the fact remains that the book is so poorly written that any behavior can use it as justification.  The failure is NOT on the part of the reader but rather on the book itself-which is among the lowest philosophical doctrines on the planet.

On the path of humanity, it will be a great day when the bible is put aside for superior books on human ethics-like "Go, Dog, Go!" or "Aesop's Fables."

The bible IS to blame, not this guy's interpretation of it.  People don't commit stupid acts, people with stupid ideas based on stupid books commit stupid acts.  If any book should be burned, that is the book lol.  No other book has had near the ill effects on humanity that the bible has had.  Nearly every injustice I've seen has been endorsed by the bible.  Now we can't go burning books... due to the hypocrisy, but I do hope folks continue to wake up and realize that book is outdated, below us as human beings and serves more harm than hope to humanity.

Well that's more than a little biased, unfair and over the top...

The body count says otherwise...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2011 - 5:55AM #42
Yavanna

Again, a one-sided biased rant. All you do is focus on the evil and ignore all other effects. Such bias immediately disqualifies you from anything near the realm of facts.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2011 - 7:09AM #43
Bob_the_Lunatic

If it was up to christianity, it would still be the Dark Ages, we'd all be illiterate and easier to control...

But you're right, I can't explain "blue" to a blind person either.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2011 - 2:55PM #44
mainecaptain

Aug 24, 2011 -- 7:09AM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

If it was up to christianity, it would still be the Dark Ages, we'd all be illiterate and easier to control...

I agree Bob

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2011 - 5:06PM #45
Yavanna

Aug 24, 2011 -- 7:09AM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

No, you just ignore the history of Reformation, exploration and scientific discovery that broke out of the Dark Ages and brought us to where we are today.

Religion is nothing. People are everything. People who happened to be Christians were behind many advances we've seen as a species. The same way that people who happened to be Pagan or Muslim have done.

Religion didn't get in their way. That's entirely your own strawman. Your own views of philosophy of course... are blessedly perfect and contain no fault. You're different than what you're attacking... how?

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5